Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost of boat versus jag

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,058 Likes on 451 Posts
Default Cost of boat versus jag

Everyone is telling me that boats are expensive, im guessing they dont know about jag ownership! Lol i just bought a boat! So far i have the cost of the boat, oil filter, oil and battery! I could drop her in water and go for a ride right now, albeit an uninformed ride, as gauges are in a box. So far i am out 1500 bucks, my post on it is over in the off topic section, as its not even car related, but i would love to add some jaguaresque touches ( no hood ornament) lol so ideas?? Whadya got? Also while i am here and typing, what is towing capacity of our cars? Not that i would go anywhere with it, but once its done it will be going to a slip, so its a one time trip of about 30 miles, pmus.it would be to have a hitch on jag to tow small trailer.with paddleboards on,...
Boat and trailer come in right around 5000 lb , wifes 4 cylinder outback has capacity of 2700, and its pretty anemic.

Old 10-23-2016, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,058 Likes on 451 Posts

Just an fyi, my car still has 4.2, but new trans and converter, lsd, no cats, shes also warmed over a tad!

Old 10-23-2016, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

Congratulations on the boat Darren, I had boats for many years until fairly recently - huge fun!

The Jag S3 is rated to tow a max. laden weight (also known as Aggregate Trailer Mass) of 1500kgs / 3300lbs so unfortunately it's not going to work, your rig will be too heavy at 5000lbs. When looking at a tow vehicle also consider the tow ball load weight rating on the hitch, the maxim usually applied (here in AU regulations anyway, not sure about US) is that your hitch needs to cope with 10% of the ATM. It's easy to get caught out with a vehicle rated with an adequate ATM for pulling, but an inadequate ball load rating - you need to check these out on the vehicle you intend using as your tug. If you get it wrong there will be safety, legal and insurance implications.

I always used a 4x4 to pull the boats, on a slippery ramp it comes in useful!! However if your boat is to be moored or slipped and you are not launching and retrieving regularly this may be less of an issue. For a one time ride you might be better off to hire a suitable vehicle for the day??

Last edited by jagent; 10-23-2016 at 04:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (10-23-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

That would be my vote. Rent a truck for the day.

Joke:

The two best days in the life of a boat owner.

1. The day it was purchased.

2. The day it was sold.

And, boatitis. Always selling to buy a bigger and more powerful one, or merely more deluxe.

My son bought and restified a mid 60's Chris craft cabin cruiser. it stays in the slip mostly. But, he does have a trailer for it. And a big
Dodge Cummins powered 4x4 to drag it around.

The gal next door has a neat inboard powered ski boat. Her 4x4 Silverado handles it well. It is also her day to day vehicle...

Carl