XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Distributorless ignition for V12 5.3, does it exist?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

so the video posted is basically a couple of sensors plugged into EDIS with no ECU.
I.E. still in the process of being completed.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

so it appears to me that you can run the EDIS system independently of an ECU, or if you want timing advance you need an ECU.

Last edited by M90power; 12-25-2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:45 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It will run at a static 10 degrees without an ECU. Think of it as limp home mode. The ecu has to give it a signal for timing, like add 3 degrees(cruising) or add 25 degrees(4500rpm and WOT).

Old 12-25-2011, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Yes EDIS has its own controller and will run totally independent of the ECU. The EDIS controller receives a signal from the ECU to tell it when to fire.

Here some good info on how the system works

EDIS Ignition Control

Old 06-28-2014, 04:25 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default How'd you get on?

G'day I was looking for a bit of info myself and stumbled upon this! Also I found someone that makes a system
http://www.electromotive-inc.com/product/total-engine-control/tec-3r/

The following users liked this post:
KingRodd (02-06-2019)
Old 06-28-2014, 05:11 PM
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevecosta
G'day I was looking for a bit of info myself and stumbled upon this! Also I found someone that makes a system
http://www.electromotive-inc.com/product/total-engine-control/tec-3r/
I have this system and it's going on my car at the end of this summer

Old 06-29-2014, 03:22 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by calvindoesntknow
I have this system and it's going on my car at the end of this summer
Awesome let me know how you go with it

Old 02-01-2019, 11:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by warrjon
Have a look at this Fords EDIS 6 spark is very good

Dual EDIS-6 distributorless ignition system at work - YouTube
Hello Warrjon,
I tried to veiw your YouTube video but it comes back "Video Unavailable" Could you PLEASE, help me out. I need some step by step guidence as to what to add and what to take away. Thanks

Old 02-01-2019, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Stevecosta
Awesome let me know how you go with it
Hello Steve,
Did you ever get a response on the Jag from calvindoesntknow ? He was installing the "Electromotive ECU package for a distributorless system.

Old 02-02-2019, 04:28 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by KingRodd
Hello Warrjon,
I tried to veiw your YouTube video but it comes back "Video Unavailable" Could you PLEASE, help me out. I need some step by step guidence as to what to add and what to take away. Thanks
It's not my video.

You do not say what ECU you are planning on running and this will effect what ignition you run. Mega Squirt now has support to run a V12 so you do not need EDIS

Old 02-02-2019, 04:45 AM

It's not my video.

You do not say what ECU you are planning on running and this will effect what ignition you run. Mega Squirt now has support to run a V12 so you do not need EDIS
I had planned on using as much stock parts as possible. I have access to Ford 6 pack coils or individual. I can get the ICM and plugs as well. The VR Sensor and trigger wheel are also obtainable. I only have the stock Ignition ECU and was going to use the stock EFI ecu for fuel. I not sure how or what I should do next. And truly Dear Sir, thank you for the quick reply.

Old 02-02-2019, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member

The Ford ICM requires input from an ignition ECU to vary timing, it is NOT a standalone system.

I would work back the other way and find an ignition ECU then determine what it needs. Mega Squirt did have an ignition only unit not sure if this is still available. You will require a good knowledge of ignition systems and how to tune them to set this up.

You may be better keeping the OEM setup and getting it working

Last edited by warrjon; 02-02-2019 at 02:45 PM.
KingRodd (02-02-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,056 Likes on 2,031 Posts

Mega Squirt did have an ignition only unit not sure if this is still available.
That's Megajolt. It still needs the Ford module, and will only run 4, 6, or 8 cylinders. As far as I know, the only way to do it with Megajolt is how Philip Lochner in South Africa did it, which is to use a pair of EDIS modules, 2 VR pickups and he had to design and build a delay module between the two pickups to get the second 6 cylinder system offset the correct amount from the first 6 cylinder system. It's certainly not plug and play, as the system needs to be programmed once you have the hardware in place.

He's done a few V12's, here is one writeup: Philip Lochner 1980 Jaguar XJS V12 5.3L (10:1 CR) - www.MSruns.com read only forum (Jan.15,2018)

KingRodd (02-02-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jagboi64
That's Megajolt. It still needs the Ford module, and will only run 4, 6, or 8 cylinders. As far as I know, the only way to do it with Megajolt is how Philip Lochner in South Africa did it, which is to use a pair of EDIS modules, 2 VR pickups and he had to design and build a delay module between the two pickups to get the second 6 cylinder system offset the correct amount from the first 6 cylinder system. It's certainly not plug and play, as the system needs to be programmed once you have the hardware in place.

He's done a few V12's, here is one writeup: Philip Lochner 1980 Jaguar XJS V12 5.3L (10:1 CR) - www.MSruns.com read only forum (Jan.15,2018)
Thanks JagBoi64,
It sounds like The Gent from South Africa using the six packs as individuals and then merge them together. I'm told that MegaSquirt now has a unit that will run the dual sixes as one unit with wasted spark. And if that be the case then isn't it possible to just wire the sixpacks based on the original ECU's firing order?

Old 02-02-2019, 04:33 PM

The Ford ICM requires input from an ignition ECU to vary timing, it is NOT a standalone system.

I would work back the other way and find an ignition ECU then determine what it needs. Mega Squirt did have an ignition only unit not sure if this is still available. You will require a good knowledge of ignition systems and how to tune them to set this up.

You may be better keeping the OEM setup and getting it working
Ook WarrJon,
I was reading these links, and now I'm all confused. Please helper decipher these secret codes. Please tell me what I'm missing. i'm trying to fix the car with the original parts. But the dizzy is broken. The rotor base broke off where you put one of the rotor screws in at. Since I don't have welding tools I'm going to have to try epoxy JB Weld. It's high temp (800 degrees). But I'm not counting on that working out to well which means I've got to get another dizzy. And for what it costs for a USED one let alone new. I might as well look into making the JagRodd a distributorless system. I've seen a YouTube showing a XJ-6 being converted to distributor less system. I don't have the web addy for that off hand but I'll find it again and post it. Anyway thanks for all your input. Below are the links tell me what you think.

Tech Wiki - EDIS : Datsun 1200 Club

Ford EDIS Megasquirt converion 289 302 351

Old 02-02-2019, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member

Megasquirt= control of fuel and spark
Megajolt= spark only.

It's certainly possible to use megasquirt and just use the spark component of it. I am not familiar with the newest versions and what their requirements are for running 12 cylinders.

What year is your car? I find it hard to believe that it would be cheaper in the long run to use megasquirt than to replace the distributor. The basic megasquirt box is $645, and you're going to need to add a bunch of things to it, plus invest a huge amount of time programming it - there will be a lot of trial and error. I did the previous version of megasquirt and was over $2k but the time I was done, and that was using a lot of cheap junkyard parts. 7 years later it's still not tuned quite right, I'm perhaps 80% of the way there.

Last edited by Jagboi64; 02-02-2019 at 10:34 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jagboi64:
KingRodd (02-02-2019), ronbros (02-02-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 08:22 PM

Wow. Well thanks to thos who have gone before me using MS they now have something somewhat preprogrammed and works the IGN and EFI ECU's. I haven't been able to find a Marelli dizzy for less than $500 bills. But based on what I saw in the YouTube video (I posted the link earlier in this convo) you can run the Ford EDIS for the spark and the EFI system with MS. In the video the guy used COP in stead of the six pack, but the principle is the same. The MS that he used had a signal that handled the six individual plugs. Using the same principle shouldn't I be able to do the same with six duo plug coils to add up to the twelve? I mean isn't that juist running the sam program twice, per on engine revolution? tell me if I'm wrong but the firing order is 1A-6B-5A-2B-3A-4B-6A-1B-2A-5B-4A-3B. So can't someone put the plugs in an order that will run the second set of six cylinders of the wated spark? I don't know if I'm asking this question right but I know somebody's got an answer. Just because I add 1 + 1 and get 11 (lol) doesn't mean that somebody else doesn't it's 3 (rofl). Please if you know who can play Super Hero. Tell them KingRodd is screaming for help. My Wolverine X-Man suit is in the cleaners and I need my JagRodd to go and get it (Still ROTFL). Seriously Please somebody please help!

Old 02-02-2019, 08:30 PM

By the way My Jagrodd is a 11/1989 MY. I have been using and geting 1990 parts

Old 02-02-2019, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member

Take a look at www-car-part.com. I see some distributors for $100-150. I can't remember when the 6 cylinder came out for the US market, but make sure it's for a V12.

Megasquirt will support coil on plug for up to 8 cylinders, 12 needs to be wasted spark - i.e. it fires the plugs every revolution of the engine, so the plug also fires on the exhaust stroke. This is what the Ford EDIS does too. EDIS isn't a stand alone system, the module still needs a timing signal to it; that comes from the ECU, either a Ford EEC IV or a Megasquirt. The EDIS modules are built for a specific number of cylinders, and unfortunately they never made a 12 cylinder version - just 4, 6, 8 and 10.

You can't run the same program twice, because the timing isn't the same bank to bank. That's why Philip Lochner needed to design the delay module, to account for the time shift to move to the other bank. Think of it as two inline 6 cylinder engines, but one is running 60 crank degrees behind the other.

KingRodd (02-12-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member

Installing and tuning a programmable ECU is not an easy task, and if you are not familiar with how ignition and fuel work your chance of success is small.

If I were you I would buy a cheap parts car and fix what you have.

If you do decided to head down the programmable ECU path MS2 now supports V12 ignition directly so no need to complicate things with EDIS. You need 6 ignition and 2 injector outputs to drive the V12. Megajolt is no longer available. Be prepared to spend at least $1000 as you will need wideband O2 and/or Dyno time to tune it.

The following 3 users liked this post by warrjon:
Greg in France (02-04-2019), KingRodd (02-12-2019), ronbros (02-03-2019)

Quick Reply: Distributorless ignition for V12 5.3, does it exist?