XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Favorite Vintage Year XJS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 12:25 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Someone asked if my 89 has ABS. To be honest, I don't know!

The front brakes work like standard ones, definitely no ABS. The rear ones go through that pump system, though I am unsure if it's an ABS system or not. I do know that to bleed the rears, I merely open the valve and turn the key to ignition on (not actually start the car. So...maybe?

I like both the pre and post facelift models but different reasons. The pre-facelift ones have the "classic" Jaguar look to me. The post-facelift ones have little things that I wish pre-facelift ones had, like matching mirrors, trim, and sometimes interiors. Each also has things I dislike, like the blood-letting inboard brakes on pre-facelifts and the cube-shaped (air bag) steering wheel on the post-facelift.

Both are XJSs to me. Maybe this is why I like the 89 year, it seems to sit at the cusp of the post-facelift while retaining most pre-facelift styling.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:36 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Having one of the last 89 XJS's to be built before the 89 1/2 series began, I fill lucky to have Luca's ignition, non-air bag steering wheel - BUT also have that locking gas cap, and those "nasty" seat belts. I do, however, like the 4 headlights - so the pre 89 1/2 has to be mine. Oh - one more thing, I'd like to chock the guy who came up with that ABS system!

Attached Thumbnails Favorite Vintage Year XJS?-dscf5903.jpg   Favorite Vintage Year XJS?-dscf5904.jpg   Favorite Vintage Year XJS?-dscf5906.jpg   Favorite Vintage Year XJS?-dscf5880.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Kimba Racing:
89 Jacobra (08-25-2019), NtAFord (08-20-2014)
Old 08-20-2014, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

So 1989 wins by a landslide

/Thread

The following users liked this post:
89 Jacobra (08-25-2019)
Old 08-20-2014, 06:39 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Eskr
I know, we all love our XJS's (some days more than others). I've had mine for a year now, and I've learned that just about every model year has something different, there was a change somewhere, things we wish we could get on ours and others we could get rid of. Personally, I think I lucked out when I bought Morris, as I knew little of this breed (but I'm resourceful and handy with a wrench). There were two things I was absolutely looking for that I would NOT compromise on: my XJS had to have the lattice wheel (not the Starfish ones) AND I did not want the GIANT steering wheel with the air bag. As far as I know, the 1989 model is the ONLY one that has these, and I happened to find Morris on Craigslist at the same time I was looking. Yes, I wish I didn't have the rat-runner seat-belts that don't work (I just use them in place). Yes, the wood needs to be replaced. But by God! I lucked out on a car with few (none, really) mechanical problems that has both a gloriously beautiful steering wheel and lattice wheels.

So for me, 1989 Jaguar XJS is best vintage.
Like Morris. My first experience in a WHITE 1989 Jaguar XJS, was thumbing through some classified ads. The price was 9000 OBO (USD). I had a 1979 Chevy truck, and a 1977 MGB at the time. No way in hell I could afford it, but I wanted to take it for a "test drive".

The gentlman who owned it looked to be a retired doctor or something. He told me that when they live "up North", his wife (who looked to be about 23??) preferred the BMW whenever she needed to go somewhere. And when they were down in Florida in the winter months, he always drove his Pantera.

We hit the road. He was in the passneger seat. He says to me, "I understand you are a bit uneasy in someone elses car while tet driving it and would like to run it through a good test. See that entrance ramp up ahead for I-96?? Says 30? Take it at 60." I kind of looked at him with that "HUH?" look.

Took the 30 MPH curve like it was on rails.

Then on the highway. He asked me what I currently had. I said, "An old Chevy truck and an MGB."

He said, "You know how the truck acts when you go to pass someone on the highway? See that truck up ahead of us? Do the same thing."

Punched the gas, passed the truck. Then he says, "Now look at the speedometer...."

I was at 125 MPH in a matter of what felt like seconds. I was in love.

I had been chasing my 1989 Jaguar XJS, for 13 years. Finally got her... and yes. THAT experience I can relive every time i hit the highway....

89 Jacobra (08-25-2019)
Old 08-20-2014, 06:43 PM

Kimba, gorgeous ride. Mine too has those goofy seat belts, no air bag, but it also has the ABS. Not sure on if it's Lucas or Milari starter / ignition yet though. I haven't had any issues with my old girl starting...

Old 08-20-2014, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member

NtAFord, better find out which ignition you have and take the necessary precautions. The Marelli can be done by a complete amateur (me) in an hour the first time. Don't let your Jag burn to the ground. 2 of mine suffered this failure. 1st one burned, 2nd one I recognized the symptoms and applied the fix.

Sorry for the thread derail, but there's nothing worse than watching your baby go up in flames, and the XJS forum is FULL of such tales.

OK, back to why 89 is the best

Old 08-20-2014, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 565 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Flint Ironstag
So 1989 wins by a landslide

/Thread
Wasn't 89 also the best sales year for the XJ-S?

Old 08-20-2014, 11:27 PM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

I believe 1989 was the best sales year for the XJS but keep in mind it was the first full year of sales for the factory convertible. To me there are goods and bads to each year. It is just a matter of personal taste. Whatever puts a smile on your face is a good fit for you.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:45 AM
Veteran Member

True, forgot about the convertible intro. Hey, I'd have a V12 too and maybe I'll get there one day it's just that I can't buy them all at the same time. Every three years or so, another joins the pack. To me, Jaguar was always DOHC-6 but you guys are convincing me to try a twelve.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 718 Likes on 552 Posts

So 1989 wins by a landslide /Thread
Ok, you guys must really like "I love the 80's crappy seat belt's"

Old 08-21-2014, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JTsmks
Ok, you guys must really like "I love the 80's crappy seat belt's"
I just....couldn't. My ex-wife had an old Ford Probe with the strangler belts. I cannot think of one without the other.

Though the airbag steering wheel is pretty uggums in my facelift, I'd feel like a proper *** if I removed it then needed that airbag later (assuming I'd survived the crash).

Old 08-21-2014, 09:44 AM

NtAFord, better find out which ignition you have and take the necessary precautions. The Marelli can be done by a complete amateur (me) in an hour the first time. Don't let your Jag burn to the ground. 2 of mine suffered this failure. 1st one burned, 2nd one I recognized the symptoms and applied the fix.

Sorry for the thread derail, but there's nothing worse than watching your baby go up in flames, and the XJS forum is FULL of such tales.

OK, back to why 89 is the best
Okay, now I am worried. When did Jag switch from Lucas ignition to Marelli? I have been trying to run my VIN number through several sites and all it gives me is the model year, not a month.

What I notice when I drive it is when I start it, the starter winds out for several seconds, and it seems when I let go of the key, that is when it starts up. Driving it, from a dead stop if i hit the gas, the nose lifts up like it's a drag car, then it feels like it lug's down until I hit the 3000 RPM mark. Then going from 45 to 90 it goes like a rocket ship.

I guess what I am asking too, is it just the distributor cap and rotor? Or is it the distributor, cap, rotor, coils, wires connecting all of this together and everything from the ignition key to the starter that was done by Mrelli?

Old 08-21-2014, 09:55 AM
Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts

A favorite vintage...I do like the convertibles and I don't like ABS and airbags. I've had my '95 4.0 convertible for going on seven years now. It has proven to be the most reliable, trouble free and durable car I have ever owned. I have driven my car through Tampa rush hour traffic every day for 6-1/2 years without one failure. Now that I am retired I am fantasizing about an '89 or '90 V-12 convertible. My '95 needs paint, a new interior and some deferred maintenance and when finished I may give in to my fantasy and use it to finance a V-12. In any case it's too hot in Tampa right now for anything other than day-dreaming, drinking beer and floating in my pool.

NtAFord (08-21-2014)
Old 08-21-2014, 10:21 AM
Received 114 Likes on 93 Posts

I would rather have the Marelli ignition then the Lucas...

Old 08-21-2014, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member

Ignition: don't recall where I read how to tell the difference - either in Kirby Palm's book or on the other Jag forum. I know the 89.5 was an unofficial model designation, but that was one of the changes. Probably better to start a separate thread for this.

NtAFord (08-21-2014)
Old 08-21-2014, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Cars after VIN 156xxx have Marelli ignition. I can't remember the exact breakpoint. 156118? 156688? Something like that.

This was about half way thru USA 1989 model year. As we know, 'model year' designations get a bit fuzzy from country to country.

The easiest way to identify a car with Marelli is the two control modules mounted on the panel above the radiator and having two coil wires going into the distributor cap

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
Flint Ironstag (08-21-2014), NtAFord (08-22-2014)
Old 08-21-2014, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 398 Likes on 302 Posts

The Lucas ignition has a index card sized black box up next to the distributor. The Lucas distributor is about 6" in diameter. Once you see the difference, it is immediate to nitice, even in passing. Doug is correct as well. The two amps out on the radiator support is obvious. The Marelli cap has a center wire, and then another right beside it. Odd looking to say the least. Finally, the coil(s) are very different. The Marelli car has a odd looking coil that sits up almost as high as the throttle pedistal, and another under it. The Lucas car will have a more traditional looking coil.

Flint Ironstag (08-21-2014)
Old 08-21-2014, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Doug
Cars after VIN 156xxx have Marelli ignition. I can't remember the exact breakpoint. 156118? 156688? Something like that.

This was about half way thru USA 1989 model year. As we know, 'model year' designations get a bit fuzzy from country to country.

The easiest way to identify a car with Marelli is the two control modules mounted on the panel above the radiator and having two coil wires going into the distributor cap

Cheers
DD
Mine ends with 151845..... and I do not see any wires running from above the radiator. And the distributor cap looks like I could wear it on my head. So maybe I have Lucas then? I am going to look more into everything this weekend.

Thank you all. I know wrong thread to be talking about this junk. My apologies.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 718 Likes on 552 Posts

I've seen more Marelli fried XJS's then I care to admit. Can't imagine anyone " preferring" it. To each his/her own I guess?

http://www.jag-lovers.org/books/xj-s/05-Marelli.html

Old 08-21-2014, 11:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Since we know that avoiding a Marelli meltdown is fairly easy I see no reason to specifically avoid a Marelli car.

However, I also wonder why someone would actually *prefer* one. I don't see any particular advantage (in ownership, repair, or driving) to the Marelli system.

Cheers
DD

Quick Reply: Favorite Vintage Year XJS?