XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Favorite Vintage Year XJS?

Old 08-19-2014, 04:11 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Cool Favorite Vintage Year XJS?

I know, we all love our XJS's (some days more than others). I've had mine for a year now, and I've learned that just about every model year has something different, there was a change somewhere, things we wish we could get on ours and others we could get rid of. Personally, I think I lucked out when I bought Morris, as I knew little of this breed (but I'm resourceful and handy with a wrench). There were two things I was absolutely looking for that I would NOT compromise on: my XJS had to have the lattice wheel (not the Starfish ones) AND I did not want the GIANT steering wheel with the air bag. As far as I know, the 1989 model is the ONLY one that has these, and I happened to find Morris on Craigslist at the same time I was looking. Yes, I wish I didn't have the rat-runner seat-belts that don't work (I just use them in place). Yes, the wood needs to be replaced. But by God! I lucked out on a car with few (none, really) mechanical problems that has both a gloriously beautiful steering wheel and lattice wheels.

So for me, 1989 Jaguar XJS is best vintage.

The following 2 users liked this post by Eskr:
89 Jacobra (08-25-2019), NtAFord (08-20-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 05:04 PM
Received 92 Likes on 55 Posts

i completely understand.

for me:
- had to be pre-facelift, because the, as someone else said, "gothic" tail light treatment is so unique and so jaguar i could not have anything 92 or later
- i'm actually not a fan of the quad lights, but that's ok, because the single units are easily swapped out, as i accomplished with mine
- had to be lattice (or at least not the starfish)
- '89+ (i think) has the bolstered sides of the front seats: a necessity
- '90+ goes back to the normal seatbelts, as opposed to the too-likely-to-break automatic seatbelts
- '91 (maybe 90) are classic collections, which have off-color piping on the seats. mine are biscuit with dark brown piping
- abs? i could probably live without, but its nice to have

so... i found my perfect 91. classic collection. however, there are some faults (in my eye) to the '91:
- the airbag is indeed big and not as pretty as previous options. (i think i'm going to look into a nardi swap)
- the classic collection badge is a bit... i don't know... aftermarket? i'd prefer a v12 badge.
- the gold growler on the bonnet is a bit gauche. i do have a black/pewter, not sure what to call that that i can replace it with
- the quad lights. see above. already swapped.

anyway, this is what floats my boat. and i know everyone has their own preferences, so flame on!

The following users liked this post:
rgp (08-30-2019)
Old 08-19-2014, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 565 Likes on 353 Posts

The earlier the better for me. Pre-HE with the woodless interior and flat head engine. And one of the few 4-spd manuals if possible

Javier Mena (08-20-2019)
Old 08-19-2014, 06:44 PM
Received 222 Likes on 170 Posts

My favourite is the 89 2 seater convertible. It kills me to have to part it out.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

I'm with Eskr on the 1989. Had 2 identical (looks wise, polar opposites mechanically) black on black, and white on mulberry:

- bolstered seats
- LCD trip computer
- non-airbag steering wheel
- I can go either way on the starfish or lattice wheels
- quad headlights
- classic tail lights "gothic"

There is no other year for me. That said, I wouldn't mind a tidy 6.0 and 4 speed transmission transplant.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 717 Likes on 552 Posts

1989???????? The year the infamous Marelli meltdown was put on board, POS auto restraints and that unsightly locking gas door....sorry I'll stick with my 86. As my favorite vintage. Hey the question was asked, why sugar coat the answer, to each his/her Own!

Old 08-19-2014, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member

I knew this thread would be entertaining. JTsmks, I'll grant you the non locking gas cap is an improvement aesthetically.

Hmmm... I wonder if someone could craft an internal locking mechanism that's tied to the door locks? Best of both worlds...

Old 08-19-2014, 10:46 PM
Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

Driving an XJS v12 convertible that you know is ''ready to rock'' is nirvana, It is the ultimate in handling, comfort, breaking, power and when you drop the top ,borderline orgasmic. Why on earth did they discontinue the model? Big mistake BIG BIG MISTAKE.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:51 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

As I said, I got SOOOO lucky with the semi-blind purchase of Morris. Did you know I bought him on Craigslist without having actually looked or test driven this vehicle first?

My 89 has the Lucas ignition, so Yay! But it also has the locking gas door...boo. Fortunately, the gas key will come out if I wiggle it just right, and I can leave the door unlocked.

Keep posting! I am still learning about other fun features/headaches in other model years.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:25 PM
Received 92 Likes on 55 Posts

'91 also does not have the passenger airbag, so there's a glovebox!

(ive actually never been in a facelift car, so i dont know what kind of storage is available to the passenger.)

Old 08-20-2014, 03:00 AM
Veteran Member

Eskr, that's why I have 89.5 in my signature. All 3 of mine have had Marelli ignition. Morris has ABS right?

The 1st one I found in the Dallas classifieds - flew out, bought it after a short test drive and a wire transfer, and drove it back 4 hours +.

2nd one I flew out to Memphis (Craigslist) and drove it back sight unseen I forget how many hours that took, but it's chronicled here.

3rd one was a 40 minute drive away (also Craigslist)

Ain't scared.

Last edited by Flint Ironstag; 08-20-2014 at 03:03 AM.
NtAFord (08-20-2014)
Old 08-20-2014, 03:39 AM
Received 350 Likes on 224 Posts

I don't own an XJS
I want one
But I also want a late X300 V12 saloon, so I am torn

But to the topic..
When I was 10 in 1978 I had a ride in the back of an early XJS. I thought it was a squash! But it was cool...
As a teenager I loved the clean lines of the mid-80s XJS, and unlike others here, I liked the starfish wheels because they are 3-dimensional, whereas the lattice wheels are a bit 2 dimensional (I guess that is why I also have removed turbines from my X300 and put Asteroids on..).
In little old NZ there are about 26 XJSes currently for sale on Trademe, our monopoly version of ebay. They range from an early flathead 4 speed manual to a 6 litre 1996. I prefer the facelift dash which is the same as the X300 saloons and presumably taken from the XJ40s

My perfect XJS would have 6 litres, 2 airbags and ABS, but the old taillights. It would be navy blue or BRG. I don't want a convertible - I have a 1928 Alvis tourer (ie: 5 seater 4 door folding roof), and at 100mph in a Jag I want a steel lid!

Old 08-20-2014, 04:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

For me 89...

I wanted the recaros, the sports wheel (2 spoke nonairbag) and the Marelli ignition. I also like the old stalks and the wooden console... So 89 it was.. And will stay

89 Jacobra (08-25-2019)
Old 08-20-2014, 05:55 AM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by chriskindbooks
Driving an XJS v12 convertible that you know is ''ready to rock'' is nirvana, It is the ultimate in handling, comfort, breaking, power and when you drop the top ,borderline orgasmic. Why on earth did they discontinue the model? Big mistake BIG BIG MISTAKE.
Ironic how you spelled Braking as Breaking.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:36 AM
Received 114 Likes on 93 Posts

1990 XJS coupe because most of the bugs are gone by this year. Every car has issues if they are not driven or maintained correctly.. I love the idea that I am the second owner of my Solent Blue XJS(32K miles) and that I have all the records. So far, it is running fantastic.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:43 AM
Received 178 Likes on 153 Posts

My 86 XJS -12 in Regent Grey is the only car I have ever missed. Had Koni and brake upgrades with modified T400 and ignition mods. Fast and reliable, sat too long, sold to help save the car. Too late to redo as new owner let it go to Brokenville.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:31 AM
Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by bhamilton
Ironic how you spelled Braking as Breaking.
Thanks for pointing it out, it should read braking.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 717 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by XJSFan
1990 XJS coupe because most of the bugs are gone by this year. Every car has issues if they are not driven or maintained correctly.. I love the idea that I am the second owner of my Solent Blue XJS(32K miles) and that I have all the records. So far, it is running fantastic.
Ok...in all seriousness...What BUGS were gone by this year???? Faulty ABS they don't make parts for? Marelli ignition?? My friend has a 91 XJS and side by side to my 86 there isn't a whole lot of difference other then the Airbag, Marelli, and an ABS system he's struggled with (it's got 10K on it and he's a Browns Lane trained mech) oh and a locking gas cap...other then that I fail to see any improvements in the bug dept. If there is I'd be interested to know because he wants to trade me for my 97 X300 and other then the mileage I fail to see a reason to move from my 86 to his 91.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:03 AM
Received 141 Likes on 113 Posts

For me it had to be a facelift, AJ16, coupe, & BRG. Well 3 out 4 is ok. I added the front fog lights, replaced clock with trip computer, LEDs in instrument panel, added set of factory 5 spoke wheels with Michelin Pilot sport A/S Plus. Will be installing the rear sway bar, new shocks, rotors and red stuff pads, and a few poly bushings.

I would like not to have the sun roof.

here we go again Gothic VS Facelift...

Old 08-20-2014, 11:24 AM
Received 114 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by JTsmks
Ok...in all seriousness...What BUGS were gone by this year???? Faulty ABS they don't make parts for? Marelli ignition?? My friend has a 91 XJS and side by side to my 86 there isn't a whole lot of difference other then the Airbag, Marelli, and an ABS system he's struggled with (it's got 10K on it and he's a Browns Lane trained mech) oh and a locking gas cap...other then that I fail to see any improvements in the bug dept. If there is I'd be interested to know because he wants to trade me for my 97 X300 and other then the mileage I fail to see a reason to move from my 86 to his 91.

It sounds like your friends car has not been driven and to me, that would raise a large caution flag. Cars were made to be driven and if they sit, look out for problems.

I also did not mean to say every bug was out by 1990 but many were, LOL. The issues you brought up are problems that usually come about with high mileage, non-use and poor maintenance...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Favorite Vintage Year XJS?