XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Should I get an XJS for daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 05:13 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan-W
Daily Driver...

so yes... drive it...use it to get parts for your other cars, take the wife to work a kid to school... I get lots of smiles...
I don't have an XJS, but It is a 41 year old XJ6. I drive it every day, to pick up parts for the others,drop the kids, drive the wife to work. And just for the hell of driving it. Miles for smiles for sure...........Just drive it, if it stops you can start it again. Maybe not straight away, but those smiles per miles will have you under the bonnet until it goes again.

I have done more miles in the XJ6 in 12 months than the 3 other cars and bikes added together. What doe's that tell you?

Buy and enjoy, as long as you are prepared to maintain it as well.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Should you get an XJS for a daily driver?

Four factors here. Cost, Time, Reliability, and Fun.

1) Cost: NO. If cost is a big consideration then, no, don't use an XJS as your daily driver. There are better -- duller -- options.

2) Time: YES & NO. Maintaining a classic car requires a significant time investment. But, for me, that's okay because cars are my hobby and my passion. That's up to you.

3) Reliability: YES-But. An XJS will never be as reliable as a used Honda or Toyota. Never. But here's what I do. My two daily drivers are a '95 convertible XJS and an '81 Porsche 928. If one needs attention, I drive the other while I address the problem with the first. Now I have TWO super-cars that in their day cost as much as a small house, for about the price of one used Honda.

4) Fun: YES, OH YES. Driving a properly running XJS is a beautiful experience. It feels great to handle, and I never tire of the constant looks of admiration, the waves, and the thumbs-up. I feel like a million dollars when I roll in my '95 black-on-black convertible XJS.

Last edited by downsouth; 11-22-2014 at 10:26 AM. Reason: addition
Old 11-22-2014, 07:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I went and looked at the XJS and a few other cars today. I came home empty. The XJS was a great looking car, but the owner last started it 2 years ago. With a new battery it was not able to start. I felt it best to take my time and find something else. Idk maybe another better car will present itself. Thanks for all the help and input. Out of all the cars I saw today, the XJS was the nicest and I would have trusted it more than the others. That being said without even had hearing it run.