Things You Would Love To Change About Your Car

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,599 Posts

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
manual trans all day
Auto Trans all day for me

But if you prefer a Manual, that's entirely up to you.

Old 09-12-2014, 02:07 PM
Received 141 Likes on 113 Posts

My 4.0 needs about 25, no 50, no maybe 75 more horses, put the damn rear sway bar back on it, shoot Lucas, stelth mode from the long arm of the law, double the fuel milage, get rid of my sun roof, a little more exhause note, Jaguar labor rates at $10/hr, no such thing as obsolete parts, kids in their rice burners pull up and pay hommage then fade away, open roads, no traffic on my way to work...and last but by no means least, I need to win the lotto.

The following 3 users liked this post by RonaldP:
Mkii250 (09-13-2014), orangeblossom (09-12-2014), RagJag (10-04-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member

Heavy Duty Indicator Stalks, as fitted to my 1990 XJS

The ones on my 1989, look and feel as if they are made out of Coat Hanger Wire.

Outboard Discs would be nice as well as a rear Anti Roll Bar.

Old 09-12-2014, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RonaldP
My 4.0 needs about 25, no 50, no maybe 75 more horses, put the damn rear sway bar back on it, shoot Lucas, stelth mode from the long arm of the law, double the fuel milage, get rid of my sun roof, a little more exhause note, Jaguar labor rates at $10/hr, no such thing as obsolete parts, kids in their rice burners pull up and pay hommage then fade away, open roads, no traffic on my way to work...and last but by no means least, I need to win the lotto.
Hi Ron

Good to hear from you, its nice to know that you are so easy to please lol

Old 09-12-2014, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
I'm sure someone else will explain it much better than I can but as I understand it, 'Cadence Braking' is putting on the Anchors, then lifting off and re-applying the Brakes to avoid a Skid.

Ahhh, OK.

I just call that modulating the brakes. ABS does it much better than we can.

Some early ABS systems are guilty of over modulating or premature modulating, however.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (09-12-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 04:32 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,176 Posts

I'd like to go back to the non-dummy oil pressure gauge.

orangeblossom (09-12-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
Ahhh, OK.

I just call that modulating the brakes. ABS does it much better than we can.

Some early ABS systems are guilty of over modulating or premature modulating, however.

Cheers
DD
Or even going wrong and trying to Spin your Car off the road!

Old 09-12-2014, 06:10 PM
Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

Hi folks
Yes I put louvers on my XJS and they absolutely work. I was hesitant about making that first cut in the hood, but once I got started, it went pretty smooth. Use an Air Riveter instead of the manual one. The heat that comes through is amazing, especially if you have to go into the city. It also allows heat to escape when turned off. They look good and have not deterred from its lines. They come in several sizes and I got the larger ones from Run Cool Lovers online.
Hi Chris

Have you got any Pics?

I'm sure we would all love to see them.[/QUOTE]
Yes, I did take a pic today ,The hood is going to the painter before I put it away for winter.

Attached Thumbnails Things You Would Love To Change About Your Car-016.jpg   Things You Would Love To Change About Your Car-017.jpg  
The following 5 users liked this post by chriskindbooks:
Bc xj (09-12-2014), Greg in France (09-13-2014), LuvmyXJS' (09-12-2014), orangeblossom (09-12-2014), RagJag (10-04-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by chriskindbooks
Hi Chris

Have you got any Pics?

I'm sure we would all love to see them.
Yes, I did take a pic today ,The hood is going to the painter before I put it away for winter.[/QUOTE]

Ooooooh Those Louvres look so Cool Chris

Thanks for Posting those Photo's but where on earth did you get those Epic Wheels?

paulyling (09-12-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 07:02 PM

Yes, I did take a pic today ,The hood is going to the painter before I put it away for winter.

Thanks for Posting those Photo's but where on earth did you get those Epic Wheels?[/QUOTE]
They are an after market ARE. I should have cleaned them this AM but let it go. I believe they really dress the car. The ultimate is spokes and my birthday and Christmas are just around the corner Orangeblossom, (just thought I would mention).

orangeblossom (09-13-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 07:13 PM
Received 222 Likes on 170 Posts

I love the louvers. Can you take a close up for me? Ive been considering this since I got the car.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Bc xj
I love the louvers. Can you take a close up for me? Ive been considering this since I got the car.

Will do it for you tomorrow as the Blue Jays are playing and I love the Blue Jays. Cheers

The following 4 users liked this post by chriskindbooks:
Bc xj (09-12-2014), Greg in France (09-13-2014), orangeblossom (09-13-2014), paulyling (09-12-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 11:48 PM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

If there is just one thing I would change about the '95 XJS 4.0 it would be to have had the factory put in the supercharged engine. That would have made it even sweeter with aprox. 320 HP waiting to be used.

There really is not much if anything else I would want to change on the '95 but the next thing would be the exclusion of the back seat. Except for our grand daughter being able to ride with us a few times I cannot imagine even a midget being able to use that back seat. Would much prefer to have the locking compartment in the back.

The last thing that comes to mind would have been a little richer sounding factory exhaust note on the XJS.

The following 2 users liked this post by LuvmyXJS':
orangeblossom (09-13-2014), paulyling (09-13-2014)
Old 09-13-2014, 12:02 AM
Received 222 Likes on 170 Posts

[Quote] Would much prefer to have the locking compartment in the back.

I have the rear compartment from my 89 convertible. Im going to remove rear seats this winter and see if it can be done. Have you heard from anyone who has done this.

Old 09-13-2014, 02:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,089 Likes on 5,352 Posts

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
The A/C is "nice" . I still don't have icicles to start forming in the hot Texas summer while at idle as I have longed for. :-(
Mark
Do you have the engine driven main fan still? My aircon guy mentioned to me that I should always turn on my main electric fan when in traffic if the aircon is to work well at these low/stationary speeds. When he had his machine hooked up, and I turned on the main fan (the 12 inch replacement aux fan was running all the time) the whole temp/pressure readout plummeted as you looked.

I realise you have the two pushers, but they probably are not doing enough.

Did the parallel flow condenser make much difference?
Greg

The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
orangeblossom (09-13-2014), paulyling (09-13-2014)
Old 09-13-2014, 03:52 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by chriskindbooks

Thanks for Posting those Photo's but where on earth did you get those Epic Wheels?
They are an after market ARE. I should have cleaned them this AM but let it go. I believe they really dress the car. The ultimate is spokes and my birthday and Christmas are just around the corner Orangeblossom, (just thought I would mention).[/QUOTE]

Hi Chris

I was also tempted by Spokes but the Lattice are so much easier to keep clean, not that they ever get dirty in the first place.

Old 09-13-2014, 04:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Mark
Do you have the engine driven main fan still? My aircon guy mentioned to me that I should always turn on my main electric fan when in traffic if the aircon is to work well at these low/stationary speeds. When he had his machine hooked up, and I turned on the main fan (the 12 inch replacement aux fan was running all the time) the whole temp/pressure readout plummeted as you looked.

I realise you have the two pushers, but they probably are not doing enough.

Did the parallel flow condenser make much difference?
Greg

Hi Greg!!

I have the standard OEM main belt driven fan clutch which is just like the earlier cars. (My fan clutch is new), and basically this is the aux fan set up in the facelift cars. It sits in front of the condenser and is a small pusher fan:

Name:  796F0680-827C-41CA-99B7-B03AFFC703C7_zpsih7js4bn.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  63.5 KB

That aux fan died in my car and I replaced it with 2 similar sized spal aftermarket fans on either side of the condenser using the same circuit,since my understanding from asking other members is that OEM AUX fan is not very good quality (and it cost 420.00 dollars). If I had any proof that the OEM aux fan was more powerful than the aftermarket fans I bought, I would go back in a heartbeat.

Another reason may be if the bottom undertray makes a difference at idle. I'll be installing my new one soon

Last edited by Spikepaga; 09-13-2014 at 05:29 AM.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
That aux fan died in my car and I replaced it with 2 similar sized spal aftermarket fans on either side of the condenser using the same circuit,since my understanding from asking other members is that OEM AUX fan is not very good quality (and it cost 420.00 dollars). If I had any proof that the OEM aux fan was more powerful than the aftermarket fans I bought, I would go back in a heartbeat. Another reason may be if the bottom undertray makes a difference at idle. I'll be installing my new one soon
Mark, A Spal each side of the stack sounds a great setup. Are you 100% sure they are both running the right way( ? !! ) and do they come on with the aircon, or are they temp related. It is best, I believe to come on with the aircon, a very easy fix if they do not.

However, I think, repeat think, that you can get a much bigger fan behind the rad stack than in front, so I would change the Spal at the back of the stack for the biggest you can fit in the space, even if you have to modify the cowl, or even dispense with the aux fan half of the cowl (it is in two pieces bolted together). A big Spal plus the one in front will be far far better than the original OEM setup though.

The only difference between traffic and highway, as far as the aircon is concerned, is airflow. So an electric main fan, fitted with a temp sensor and a manual over-ride will be substantially better for low speed aircon efficiency than the engine driven one.

Greg

Last edited by Greg in France; 09-13-2014 at 05:48 AM.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Mark, A Spal each side of the stack sounds a great setup. Are you 100% sure they are both running the right way( ? !! ) and do they come on with the aircon, or are they temp related. It is best, I believe to come on with the aircon, a very easy fix if they do not.

However, I think, repeat think, that you can get a much bigger fan behind the rad stack than in front, so I would change the Spal at the back of the stack for the biggest you can fit in the space, even if you have to modify the cowl, or even dispense with the aux fan half of the cowl (it is in two pieces bolted together). A big Spal plus the one in front will be far far better than the original OEM setup though.

The only difference between traffic and highway, as far as the aircon is concerned, is airflow. So an electric main fan, fitted with a temp sensor and a manual over-ride will be substantially better for low speed aircon efficiency than the engine driven one.

Greg
Hi Greg,

The aux fans are running properly. I actually have a override switch in the cabin, so aux fans come on any time I want. Typically I just keep them running once I get in traffic

So you are suggesting I change from the OEM main fan clutch to a main electric fan? Interesting. I may look into that.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:03 AM
Veteran Member

Mark
IS this on your 6 cylinder convertible car? if so, I have no direct experience of these mods on that setup, so some feedback from someone who has done such a conversion would be more than advisable! Having said that, If having the best possible aircon in traffic is the aim, an electric main fan is a very big plus, as it flows full volume of air at tickover, which an engine fan cannot. Plus, were you to do this, installing the two biggest possible fans you can into the space is a must also. A Spal 12 inch and a Spal 16 inch will go in nicely, but check the airflow specs, not all Spal "x inch" fans have the same CFPM flow. The bigger the flow the better and they are only marginally more expensive.

Grant Francis gave me the wiring diagram for the change when I did mine, that part is very easy to do on a V12, cannot be that hard on a 6, but i have no experience to help. On a V12 you can get rid of one belt, one tensioner, and the boss that holds the engine fan hub, so it also makes a bit more room. You will get another 1.5 MPG too! (7%, not to be sniffed at at European fuel prices!). Grant can also can tell you about a demon OEM twin fan setup from an Aussie car that you can buy on Aussie ebay, chassis included, that is a straight drop into the XJS. Anything that fits a V12 would also would fit your car.

If you decide to go for this, then your alternator needs to be up to spec as twin fans could pull 30 to 34 amps between them. Anyway, if you do decide to go for an electric main fan, my experience was that the automatic onff thermostat control was the most problematic. If you would like I will pm you with some tweaks I did to my setup to get that aspect working better.

Greg

Last edited by Greg in France; 09-13-2014 at 07:10 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
1100me (09-13-2014), orangeblossom (09-13-2014)

Quick Reply: Things You Would Love To Change About Your Car