XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

6.7L V12 build

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

This was an empty case, I have looked in my 16CU and the pcb takes up whole case. Apart from the wiring this is as it will be.

Old 12-04-2016, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

Originally Posted by warrjon
Mounted the Megasquirt in the 6CU case, just need to wire it up now.

now you make me envious, i'm far better at engine building and machine work!

electronics has always made me uncomfortable. like said earlier my ECU system is SDS, it works OK, somewhat dated (1994),upgraded 3 times tho.

time 1&2 used same PCB modded, 3rd time complete replacement of PCB, that really brought it up, closer resolution, and easier to tune.

same case as original! pix of ECU, and hand held unit.

Attached Thumbnails 6.7L V12 build-sds-ecu-pix-004.jpg   6.7L V12 build-sds-ecu-pix-003.jpg   6.7L V12 build-sds-programmer-pix-003.jpg  
Old 12-04-2016, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 354 Likes on 214 Posts

Hello warrjon
Did you measurement volume of the combustion chamber?
What volume?
I got 31cm3 ???
Piston in liner is 15cm3
Am I right?
It is all std 6.0L
stroke 78.5mm
bore 90mm
piston cm3 15
comb camb cm3 31
gasket cm3 8.15
CR is 10.2 ???
Where did I go wrong?

Old 12-04-2016, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,092 Likes on 5,355 Posts

Originally Posted by warrjon
Here are my heads marked up for a slight chamber re-shape.

I need to remove about 8cc (maybe more depending on what the piston volume ends up after 0.040" is taken off the top) to get CR down to 11:1. The thin black line is the geometric shrouding envelope. And the areas coloured black is where I plan to remove material.
My plan is to de-shroud the valves and spark plug, tidy up the plug thread and remove sharp edges, then CC the chamber and see how much more metal I need to remove before I do the other 11.
I'll start on the intake valve as the shrouding is far worse than the exhaust valve. There will not be a lot of material removed from around the exhaust valve unless I need to low CR. I am not going to lay back the chamber wall at the plug just remove the hump between the intake and exhaust
Warrjon
I have been thinking about your chamber shape, having re-read and tried to grasp Roger Bywater's points about chamber shape in his book on engine technology, and I am interested in your thinking. I know nothing about this subject, so this is a genuine enquiry, not an "Are you sure you are right" veiled criticism, I assure you.
I can see that de-shrouding the valves will help ultimate gasflow potential of the head. I can see that with a longer stroke or a bigger bore engine CR will not be a problem and that removing metal will give no problems on that score. What I am wondering about is this (as far as I can see your pics and understand the HE system): In effect the HE head forces all the mixture into the small pocket by the plug that has the exhaust valve at its top. There is almost no space round or below the inlet valve at TDC. The bit of metal between the inlet and the exhaust forms a wall that forms one side of this pocket, and the notch in its profile through which the mixture is forced adds a "squirting" effect to the mixture as it is forced through it, and this adds swirl which helps combustion efficiency by homogenising the mixture.
Bearing all this in mind, my question is: If my understanding of your bit I have highlighted in blue above is correct, and this "wall" is removed or reduced, and no other changes are made, presumably the combustion chamber will burn mixture less well as the squirting effect and its swirl will be reduced? So are you aiming to compensate for this with (eg) a special sort of piston shape (or something else) to give a more uniformly shaped combustion chamber space to promote good flame propagation etc etc that the books say is important? Or how else (if at all) are you aiming to get extra swirl or tumble into the mixture, or is this something that you hope will remain sufficient even with a bit of the "wall" removed as the extra chamber volume will compensate to a degree?
Greg

Old 12-04-2016, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

Originally Posted by xjsv12
Hello warrjon
What volume?
I got 31cm3 ???
Piston in liner is 15cm3
Am I right?
It is all std 6.0L
stroke 78.5mm
bore 90mm
piston cm3 15
comb camb cm3 31
gasket cm3 8.15
CR is 10.2 ???
Where did I go wrong?

i thought the 6.0L engine came factory, at 10.5 ratio anyway, 10.2 is close enough, with so many numbers it would be easy to mix up a couple tenths ratio!

without CNC machining you will not get every chamber perfectly the same, beside it being an N/A engine , it is not that important, couple tenths.

and then you have to deal with getting 12 pistons all the same.

i would like to see a bowl in piston crown , not just a flat cut off the top.

Warron not much worried about the Fireball turbulence chamber, believe me it will run and alot better than some think!

The following users liked this post:
xjsv12 (12-05-2016)
Old 12-04-2016, 11:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by xjsv12
Hello warrjon
What volume?
I got 31cm3 ???
Piston in liner is 15cm3
Am I right?
It is all std 6.0L
stroke 78.5mm
bore 90mm
piston cm3 15
comb camb cm3 31
gasket cm3 8.15
CR is 10.2 ???
Where did I go wrong?
When I CCed the chambers I got 29cc, in Australian spec the 6.0L was listed at 11:1 CR so you are close

The following 2 users liked this post by warrjon:
ronbros (12-06-2016), xjsv12 (12-05-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 12:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Warrjon
I have been thinking about your chamber shape, having re-read and tried to grasp Roger Bywater's points about chamber shape in his book on engine technology, and I am interested in your thinking. I know nothing about this subject, so this is a genuine enquiry, not an "Are you sure you are right" veiled criticism, I assure you.
I can see that de-shrouding the valves will help ultimate gasflow potential of the head. I can see that with a longer stroke or a bigger bore engine CR will not be a problem and that removing metal will give no problems on that score. What I am wondering about is this (as far as I can see your pics and understand the HE system): In effect the HE head forces all the mixture into the small pocket by the plug that has the exhaust valve at its top. There is almost no space round or below the inlet valve at TDC. The bit of metal between the inlet and the exhaust forms a wall that forms one side of this pocket, and the notch in its profile through which the mixture is forced adds a "squirting" effect to the mixture as it is forced through it, and this adds swirl which helps combustion efficiency by homogenising the mixture.
Bearing all this in mind, my question is: If my understanding of your bit I have highlighted in blue above is correct, and this "wall" is removed or reduced, and no other changes are made, presumably the combustion chamber will burn mixture less well as the squirting effect and its swirl will be reduced? So are you aiming to compensate for this with (eg) a special sort of piston shape (or something else) to give a more uniformly shaped combustion chamber space to promote good flame propagation etc etc that the books say is important? Or how else (if at all) are you aiming to get extra swirl or tumble into the mixture, or is this something that you hope will remain sufficient even with a bit of the "wall" removed as the extra chamber volume will compensate to a degree?
Greg

Good question Greg.

I have read a LOT of info by Darin Morgan, Grumpy Jenkins and David Vizard on head porting and chamber design (even though most of this is SBC related the theory is valid), so I can not remember who wrote that the Jaguar HE chamber was one of the best at burning lean mixtures at high CR at part throttle.

And YES I did think about the loss of the FIREBALL effect. But I think the bit of metal between the Ex and In valve is a potential hot spot and could cause detonation not to mention the shrouding it provides to the In valve.

My goal is to increase torque significantly (capacity increase) and hopefully power not just in the 2000-4500rpm range but also peak power (combustion efficiency/breathing). So I am not too concerned about losing the pocket in the exhaust valve area.

One of the objectives is to (hopefully) improve the efficiency of the burn in the chamber. With the pocketed spark plug the propagation of the pressure wave is severely limited by the pocket and the bit of metal between the exhaust and inlet valves. Removing this and profiling the pocket should help this situation (in theory). The spark plug position in the HE even though it points to the Ex valve is not ideal as it is not in the centre of the chamber, the pre-HE is better in that the plug is central in the chamber. Laying back the chamber walls opposite the plug should also help with pressure wave propagation across the bore. I may not be able to full lay back the exhaust pocket as it may reduce CR too much, this will be trial and error.

Too much swirl is a bad thing as it can centrifuge the heavy fuel out of suspension and the fuel ends up stuck the cylinder walls then as the piston reaches TDC it ends up in the crevice (between the top ring and the piston crown) where it remains un-burnt. I will be running a much tighter squish than the stock HE at 0.040” and flat top (apart from V8 valve reliefs). This should help with mixture at part throttle. Full throttle is not so much a problem as the air speed helps keeps the fuel in suspension better.

To help with fuel atomization I have a set of Denso (Ford) 12 hole injectors from an X Type V6, these have fuel droplet size (50um) 3 times smaller than (150um) 4 hole injectors and who knows how much smaller than the OEM Jaguar injectors.

Bravely going where no man has bravely gone before…………..lol

The following 4 users liked this post by warrjon:
Daim (12-05-2016), Greg in France (12-05-2016), ronbros (12-06-2016), xjsv12 (12-05-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 12:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ronbros
without CNC machining you will not get every chamber perfectly the same, beside it being an N/A engine , it is not that important, couple tenths.

and then you have to deal with getting 12 pistons all the same.

i would like to see a bowl in piston crown , not just a flat cut off the top.

Warron not much worried about the Fireball turbulence chamber, believe me it will run and alot better than some think!
Norm is doing the pistons KB143 with 0.040" machined off the top.

Once I have decided on the shape, I plan on making patterns so I can get the chambers as close as possible to the same. They will be CCed to within 1cc of each other.

Jonathan-W (12-05-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 01:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,092 Likes on 5,355 Posts

Thanks for explaining your thinking Warrjon. Very interesting and it makes sense to me (for what that is worth). The new injectors should help efficient atomisation a lot, I would think, and give better full throttle economy. As your pistons will go up to 40 thou of the head, what is the OEM gap, out of interest? I can see that if this works and a decent bit of mixture still ends up being concentrated in the (albeit modified) pocket, a leanish mixture will still ignite properly, therefore part throttle economy should not fall off a cliff. The danger being, I presume, that a sufficiently lean mixture for decent part throttle economy will not ignite nicely? I guess that with luck there will be enough of the pocket shape left to get the leanish fuel mix sufficiently concentrated round the plug to get decent part throttle combustion without having to add more fuel. If that does all go well, I can see that more power and torque should be a definite goer when you give it the beans. All too exciting! When do you anticipate getting the beast running?
Greg

Last edited by Greg in France; 12-05-2016 at 01:55 AM.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member

The OEM squish is about 0.040" as well, but the pistons are dished which effectively reduces squish to about 0.060-0.080"

One of the things the HE head did well was make power with about 24° of advance I think the pre-HE was 38°. This is a good indication of a fast burning chamber. The later GM LS engines also have fast burning chambers. So I have been looking closely at how I can use what GM did and marry that with the HE chamber.

The biggest issue with the HE chamber is the relatively low valve lift (lift is only 0.23D of the intake valve a stock LS is about 0.27D of intake) and the shrouding of the intake valve due to the small recess.

I think about 6 months to get it all up and running. While I have the engine out I will tidy the bay and do a complete re-wire.

The following 2 users liked this post by warrjon:
Greg in France (12-07-2016), ronbros (12-06-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Aren't you having the camshafts remodeled or are they staying the same? I'm sure a bigger lift should contribute to a better performance. Might be worth checking the carb'ed V12s. From memory, carb'ed engines normally got a higher lift on the intake compared to the EFI cars (this though is looking via my experience wirh Volvo Redblocks and Ford Kent/Endura/Zetec engines)...

Do you intend on making the engine a lean-burner? Unless of course the pedal is fully depressed, allowing for loads of fuel to be dumped in If so, then maybe a relobe to a sloght atkinson cycle would improve burning but it would sacrifice a few ponies but gain some torque (IIRC)...

Old 12-06-2016, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,056 Likes on 2,031 Posts

Are you planning to dyno it? It would be very interesting to see how the BMEP compares to a standard engine.

Old 12-06-2016, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member

Camshafts will be stock, at initially. Depending on how the engine runs, I am not looking for maximum peak power, a wide power band is what I am after, ie flat torque curve.

This car is a toy so I am not too worried if fuel economy is not as good as a stock V12, In fact I expect it not to be. As long as it's not like my brothers Shelby Mustang 10mpg at best lol.

I need to get it on the dyno to dial in the advance curve. I am lucky the next town (40km away) has a shop with a chassis dyno. I'll tune it up as best I can with my G-Tech before the dyno.

ronbros (12-07-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 11:01 PM
Veteran Member

Before I started I checked the CC again 28.8 or 29cc with the spark plug installed.

First chamber roughed out, 31cc so I removed a WHOLE 2cc.

I have left a message for Norm to discuss if it's better to take another 5cc from the piston by cutting valve reliefs for the V12.

The following 4 users liked this post by warrjon:
Daim (12-07-2016), Greg in France (12-08-2016), Jonathan-W (12-07-2016), ronbros (12-07-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 366 Likes on 294 Posts

down right beautiful!

Old 12-09-2016, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member

Picked up my 36-1 crank wheel the other day. This was laser cut to fit in the OEM 3 tooth wheel location. I will need to bend the teeth around the damper and cut one tooth off once I decide which tooth.

The following 3 users liked this post by warrjon:
Daim (12-10-2016), Greg in France (12-10-2016), ronbros (12-09-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 05:05 AM
Veteran Member

Warren, just by postimg those pictures, you managed to answer a question even Jaguar couldn't answer: does the pulley fit in one or many positions? Going by the picture from behind: one position! YAY!

Old 12-10-2016, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Daim
Warren, just by postimg those pictures, you managed to answer a question even Jaguar couldn't answer: does the pulley fit in one or many positions? Going by the picture from behind: one position! YAY!
If you mean the 3 tooth trigger yes it is pinned. This is a 6.0L damper and is different from the 5.3L I have not had the damper off my car yet so I don't know if it is pinned.

Daim (12-10-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member

I actually meant the damper itself... In the same position as the pin is a kerb in the harmonic damper. That is what I had been wanting to see since about May

Old 12-10-2016, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member

The dampers are keyed to the crank, as I said this is a 6.0L damper and is a slip fit with a single key. The 5.3L damper uses a collet arrangement and 2 keys so the hole through the damper is tapered. Both dampers will only fit one way.

5.3L damper the hole is bigger and tapered.

Attached Thumbnails 6.7L V12 build-5.3l-damper.jpg  

Last edited by warrjon; 12-10-2016 at 03:58 PM. Reason: add pic
The following 3 users liked this post by warrjon:
Daim (12-10-2016), Jonathan-W (12-11-2016), ronbros (12-12-2016)

Quick Reply: 6.7L V12 build