XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Dizzy fitting question

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 03:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Originally Posted by warrjon
My damper is marked 10° BTDC. If you turn the engine so the rotor is in the middle of the 1A post before you remove the dissy then make sure the engine is NOT rotated it will go back together at the right spot.
I've seen a line marked into the damper itself. But what should that align with? Is there a marking on the front bracket for the front sensor I have to use? These are question I bet your CD will answer quickly

Old 02-25-2017, 03:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

The Marelli dissy has a small amount of rotation just like the Lucas dissy to align the rotor. The difference is the contact on the Marelli dissy is quite long (possibly 30°) this is so the ECU can advance/retard the ignition and still make contact with the dissy post. Rotating the Marelli dissy has no effect on timing like the Lucas does, it does change the orientation of the rotor wiper and dissy post, if incorrectly orientated you could get misfires when the ECU adjusts timing.

Attached Thumbnails Dizzy fitting question-marelli-rotor.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 02-25-2017, 05:38 AM
Veteran Member

If you find all the parts you need, the timing is a thing of a couple of minutes...

Firstly, there is only one timing mark possible... The timing mark on the damper (as Warren and I have already stated). The opposite marking is on the bracket which holds the sensor. It is just simply a point on a little metal piece.

Align the damper marking with this marking. If everything is set up correctly, then the arrow on the rotor arm should line up with the indention on the dizzy base plate... If it points the opposite direction, turn the crank again by 360° - then it will lign up. If it doesn't line up, then you can adjust the base plate via the elongated holes in the base plate (to a certain degree) and set the marks up. Then it is perfect

The pictures show the crank a little out of spec but also the arrow pointing to the cut in the dizzy. Important thing is: I didn't take a picture of the crank in the right position but stupidly of the arrow pointing correctly...

The bracket:

The arrow on the rotor:

The crank not in the exactly right position:

The arrow pointing to the cut:

That shows how it should be set up. So all fine here

Btw.: the rotor arm will only fit in one position! The screws that hold it in place only go in when the rotor arm points a certain way in relation to the shaft.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,092 Likes on 5,355 Posts

Originally Posted by warrjon
The Marelli dissy has a small amount of rotation just like the Lucas dissy to align the rotor. The difference is the contact on the Marelli dissy is quite long (possibly 30°) this is so the ECU can advance/retard the ignition and still make contact with the dissy post. Rotating the Marelli dissy has no effect on timing like the Lucas does, it does change the orientation of the rotor wiper and dissy post, if incorrectly orientated you could get misfires when the ECU adjusts timing.
OK Warren, Daim, thnaks for the explanations, I think I have got it now: In the normal run of things a small movement in the dizzy on its fixing slots will not change much if anything. But if (eg) you demounted the dizzy and rotated the rotor shaft 90 degrees and then put it back, it obviously would. Is that correct?
Cheers greg

Old 02-25-2017, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member

In that extreme case, yes. If you just miss a tooth or two, you can adjust it using the enlongated holes. If the front mark is right, you can simply adjust it accordingly. No advance or so mechanically possible. Only by moving the sensors around (which isn't possible as they have cast in holders).