XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

F-Type

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Jag should have attractive pricing on the F-type simply for the auto journalists to talk up what a deal it is, get new buyers into the marque, have F-types all over the place, and get F-types on to the track and being competitive.

Sporting Jag's is a smallish club and will continue to be if there's not enough incentive to steer buyers away from Porsche, Corvette, and BMW M's.

Clearly Tata is making great strides, look at the new Range Rover; rather look at the waiting list to buy one. What I don't want to see happen is not enough F-types to meet demand or dealer mark up's. It's already a delicate sell, steering a new 911 buyer into a Jag, and mark up's don't help the sell.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

If Jaguars become as common as BMWs or Porsches, I think they will have lost a lot of their charm.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:31 AM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

For some reason whenever I see the F-Type in pics or in person, I always think it's a compact sports car competing against the likes of Cayman/Boxster, TTRS, SLK55, Z4 but Jaguar aims the F-Types closer to the 911. Boss of Jaguar, Adrian Hallmark in a recent interview

He also dismissed criticism that the F-Type is priced too high, especially in the UK, saying that it offers Porsche 911 or Aston Martin Vantage performance 'at prices well below them'. British publication Autocar says Jaguar's boss conceded that the company’s next models will most likely be an SUV and a small premium saloon: 'Whatever we do will be driven by the three pillars of our brand: innovation, design and performance leadership. Those three can be applied to different degrees in different cars, but they must always be present.'

We'll see how the performance compares once car mags gets a hold of one for a head to head against the 911. If the performance is on par with the 911, than it is a bargain...I just cant shake the stigma that the F-Type is a 911 competitor and not a Cayman Competitor.

Sidenote....looks like what's next for Jaguar is an SUV.

Last edited by GhostriderXKR08; 02-16-2013 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member

I do not like the idea of a Jag SUV, why compete against yourself as a company?

Old 02-16-2013, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GhostriderXKR08
For some reason whenever I see the F-Type in pics or in person, I always think it's a compact sports car competing against the likes of Cayman/Boxster, TTRS, SLK55, Z4 but Jaguar aims the F-Types closer to the 911. Boss of Jaguar, Adrian Hallmark in a recent interview

He also dismissed criticism that the F-Type is priced too high, especially in the UK, saying that it offers Porsche 911 or Aston Martin Vantage performance 'at prices well below them'. British publication Autocar says Jaguar's boss conceded that the company’s next models will most likely be an SUV and a small premium saloon: 'Whatever we do will be driven by the three pillars of our brand: innovation, design and performance leadership. Those three can be applied to different degrees in different cars, but they must always be present.'

We'll see how the performance compares once car mags gets a hold of one for a head to head against the 911. If the performance is on par with the 911, than it is a bargain...I just cant shake the stigma that the F-Type is a 911 competitor and not a Cayman Competitor.

Even the Cayman is a 911 competitor! I don't know if there's really much distinction for the F-Type to be compared to the Cayman vs. a 911.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Even the Cayman is a 911 competitor! I don't know if there's really much distinction for the F-Type to be compared to the Cayman vs. a 911.
I was thinking the same thing.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by GhostriderXKR08
For some reason whenever I see the F-Type in pics or in person, I always think it's a compact sports car competing against the likes of Cayman/Boxster, TTRS, SLK55, Z4 but Jaguar aims the F-Types closer to the 911.

Interesting that you say that after seeing the F-type in person. I too, have the impression that it is a "compact" sports car but, I have not seen it yet, other than in pictures. Checked the size measurements and, indeed, the F-type is within an inch to the 911 or to the Vette measurements. So, it is NOT a small car, just looks like one, for whatever reason.

I also have difficulty seeing the F-type as a 911 or Aston competitor, rather than, as you said, a Cayman (MSRP $52K) competitor. Guess, we'll wait and see how the market will value it.

Albert

Old 02-17-2013, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member

Here are some photos (cell phone) of the F-Type that I took at the DC Auto Show a few weeks ago:

Such a gorgeous car, especially from the rear. I love the shape of the hump over the rear wheels which starts at the back of the doors.

To me, the whole rear is very reminiscent of the XJ13 prototype.

Attached Thumbnails F-Type-2013-02-03_15-05-47_145.jpg   F-Type-2013-02-03_15-05-59_2.jpg   F-Type-2013-02-03_15-06-15_865.jpg   F-Type-2013-02-03_15-06-28_313.jpg   F-Type-1966%2520jaguar%2520xj13.jpg  

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (02-18-2013)
Old 02-18-2013, 11:01 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't wait to see the coupe

Old 02-24-2013, 09:50 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With the move to a more upscale higher priced XK next year, the F Type pricing makes sense...its meant to compete with a 911 not a Boxster. My dealer told me that he has no orders on the 13 XK's right now even with great lease deals for the money. The new XK will probably be going after that 125k to 140k GT car demo...thats above my line. Seems like 13/14 is a transition time for the XK while they try and push the F Type. Personally...I have loved both my 07 convertible and 08 Coupe but I am ready for my F Type V8S and the new driving experience it will provide me.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Mike Cross has stated in the interviews that they have ran the car against the 911. Although, he didn't want to give away any more information, but i think the F type will do very well.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Executive
Mike Cross has stated in the interviews that they have ran the car against the 911. Although, he didn't want to give away any more information, but i think the F type will do very well.
That will be a comparison I can't wait to see.

The V8 F-type will be some 600 lbs heavier than the 911 Carrera so, there should be no contest on that account alone. But, the rear engined 911 is quite a handful to handle at max speeds and they do not make for good track cars for that reason. So, in that regard the front engined F-type could gain back some of the weight deficit. In the hands of a professional driver that can confidently handle the nasty rear-end weight bias of a Porsche, I would still pick the Carrera on a road-racing track because of the huge weight advantage.

In the hands of an amateur driver, the F-type (if is is well sorted) could be more confidence inspiring and, thus, faster.

Albert

Old 03-07-2013, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member

What I'm personally looking for in the F-Type is a car that is more engaging to drive. Super crisp throttle response, but more importantly superb handling, steering feel, and braking.

Competing on the track with a 911 would be a great selling point, but I just think it wouldn't play too much into my decision to purchase one.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:25 PM
Received 189 Likes on 88 Posts
Default It's OK ... but

It looks too much like a Miata that someone gave to West Coast Customs along with a $5000 check for all new fiberglass facia. Jag should keep the F-Type's chassis, interior, suspension, wheels, tires, engine and transmission .. and just drop an actual XK-E body on it. Imagine a modern day XK-E with complete state-of-the-art technology and 500 hp purring under the hood! Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!

Old 03-08-2013, 07:31 AM
Veteran Member

Man, an F-type or Alfa 4C; next car is going to be a tough choice.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:01 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw (and entered in) the F-Type last year ont the Paris Motor show. I was rejected twice ("Sorry, only invited clients"), but managed to get in on the third try. I chose for that a time when the stand was almost empty. It also helps if you are well dressed (no jeans!) and if you already have the catalog of one ore two luxury brands in hour hands (which converts you imediatly into a potential client!). If you go during the week just before the closure, you can access most of the luxury stands. In less than one hour, I sat in:
-XKR, XKRS, F-Type
-991, Caiman, Panamera
-Hexagon (french luxury electric car)
-lotus (I could approach and almost touch but not get in)
-Corvette C6 (the C7 wasn't ready yet)
-camarro
-fisker Karma

No need to say that I had to run from one car to another! But it was definitely worth it.

Jaguar had 2 F-types. One with the roof on where you couln't get in and a topless that you could get in freely. So I couldn't test the entrance with the roof on.

Funny, the Jaguar stand looked very, very similar. It was probably the same one!

The F-type is really nice. More modern but smaller than the XK. A bit more complicated to get in (but not much) and a far smaller trunk. And of course no back seats. But I love the virtual screens!

Last edited by pierbout; 03-08-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:44 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A Miata??? I can understand someone not liking it but I don't see a Miata in this car at all...most people who have seen it in person, including automotive journalists, have raved about the beauty of the exterior

Old 03-08-2013, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
If Jaguars become as common as BMWs or Porsches, I think they will have lost a lot of their charm.
as a side note - my sentiments exactly. one of the things i enjoy greatly is the fact that they are so few in numbers. every joe schmo has a bmw or benz, its not even anything special anymore unless you're buying a top of the line AMG.....but when you say "i have a jag"....people response "o0o0o0oh"

back on track. i think the F-type should have been priced a little lower. as it stands, i believe it hovers around the same price as the XK......which is kinda silly to have 2 convertible sports cars at the same price.....however i understand one is a GT and the other is "supposed" to be more of a track day car. but lets face it, most of the buyers arent going to track it...so it just comes down to "do i want a rough and tough car? or one thats a little more comfortable"

Old 03-08-2013, 09:58 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Snide72
drop an actual XK-E body on it. Imagine a modern day XK-E with complete state-of-the-art technology and 500 hp purring under the hood! Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!
Uh thats been done. Its called an eagle speedster

Attached Thumbnails F-Type-eagle-speedster-03.jpg   F-Type-eagle-speedster-02.png  
Old 03-08-2013, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Crushercurtis
Uh thats been done. Its called an eagle speedster

A guy local to me has E type with a modern engine and mechanicals, looks pretty cool. I feel the retro era is gone for now. Buyers are interested in a fresh look with brand DNA rather than retro styling.

Quick Reply: F-Type