XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

F-Type

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 02:17 PM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
Default F-Type

So I went to the Chicago autoshow this morning and saw the new F-Type in the flesh. It does look pretty good. Unfortunately no on can go in it...not even the XKs.

Attached Thumbnails F-Type-ab1_zps2f4174f4.jpg   F-Type-aa12_zps606d4e2f.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
jaguny (02-13-2013)
Old 02-11-2013, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

"Pretty good"...that's it??? I was going to drive 2 hours to the Toronto Auto Show next week specifically to see it. But I already know I won't want one if it only rates a pretty good from a high performance automotive aficionado like yourself! I suppose that's not a failing grade, and I give the new C7 Stingray only a "Luke Warm" rating after losing points for its rear tail lights.

Did you like the new Viper? I'd give it a Very Good to Excellent based on photos, and I've never particularly fancied one before. I plan to trade the 2010 XKR in a year or two, and to buy a one or two year old replacement. That would make it a model on sale now, or soon. I was hoping the F-Type would be truly lust-worthy.

Did you see anything that really grabbed your attention?

Bruce

Old 02-11-2013, 03:21 PM

The main ones that grab my attention was the F-Type, Viper, Vette, R8 GT and Aventador. I was really hoping to see the Acura NSX Concept but it wasn't at the Chicago Auto Show! Bummer!

Here's some some pics I took. Oh...what really grabbed my attention was the Porsche Girls but didn't take a pic of them.

The Mercedes VIP lounge was refreshing...just to get away from the crowds for alittle bit.

Attached Thumbnails F-Type-aa7_zps4d0f2de9.jpg   F-Type-aa16_zps04825203.jpg   F-Type-aa11_zpsbb1ce244.jpg   F-Type-aa3_zps82ec2aad.jpg   F-Type-aa1_zps7b26757c.jpg  

F-Type-aa2_zps3909fba1.jpg   F-Type-aa10_zps223a53d9.jpg   F-Type-aa9_zps15586a07.jpg   F-Type-aa14_zps2e79d5d2.jpg   F-Type-aa15_zps880de2ff.jpg  

F-Type-aa5_zps5afe7e52.jpg   F-Type-aa6_zps5824f61d.jpg   F-Type-mb1_zps29fdc354.jpg   F-Type-mb2_zps773f70d4.jpg  

Last edited by GhostriderXKR08; 02-11-2013 at 03:32 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by GhostriderXKR08:
axr6 (02-12-2013), jaguny (02-13-2013), Mike V (02-12-2013), Muddydog (02-13-2013)
Old 02-11-2013, 03:33 PM
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

I went to LA auto show and was very impressed with the jag display. I think the F-type is a very good looking car, but I think the coupe will look even better. They debuted the Xfr-s - that 's a great looking sedan and it has the power and sound to match! Not a bad deal for $100k.
Bruce - I have seen the new viper in person at Barrett jackson orange county. It looks good, but the exterior is very similar to the past generation. However, there are big improvements with the interior. I looked at buying a vipor previously, but was not impressed after a test drive - foot box small and off to side, awkward place for gearshift, too hot interior, very raw/loud, etc. Reportedly, they have addressed a lot of these issues with the new model. A great track car, but not a good daily driver.
The MB SLS black addition was an amazing looking car as was the am vanquish, but very pricey. Another car that I think is pretty amazing (there are a few in my area that I see regularly) is the mb c63 black series- very fast and does well on the track and could be driven daily. They only made 100 for north America - Canada got 30, Us 70. The Msrp ranges from $108k to around $128k.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Great photos...thanks! I've always been attracted to cars with curvacous bodywork and flowing lines, and the Viper does that well, albeit in a more flamboyant way than I was comfortable with in the past. It just seems like the hot rod of the bunch, much like the Shelby Cobra of the past, and since I like a healthy dose of torque I think both the 5L F-Type and Viper fit the bill.

Originally Posted by Octurbo
I went to LA auto show and was very impressed with the jag display. I think the F-type is a very good looking car, but I think the coupe will look even better. They debuted the Xfr-s - that 's a great looking sedan and it has the power and sound to match! Not a bad deal for $100k.
Bruce - I have seen the new viper in person at Barrett jackson orange county. It looks good, but the exterior is very similar to the past generation. However, there are big improvements with the interior. I looked at buying a vipor previously, but was not impressed after a test drive - foot box small and off to side, awkward place for gearshift, too hot interior, very raw/loud, etc. Reportedly, they have addressed a lot of these issues with the new model. A great track car, but not a good daily driver.
The MB SLS black addition was an amazing looking car as was the am vanquish, but very pricey. Another car that I think is pretty amazing (there are a few in my area that I see regularly) is the mb c63 black series- very fast and does well on the track and could be driven daily. They only made 100 for north America - Canada got 30, Us 70. The Msrp ranges from $108k to around $128k.
I'm glad SRT is refining some aspects that were definitely lacking, and while I love the Jag's refinement, that sort of thing isn't essential for putting a huge grin on my face when I go out on an icecream run, or a day at the track. So long as it has air, a seat I can get comfortable in, and an exhaust that doesn't drone I'm good. My wife and I really do thoroughly enjoy the convertible though, so I think the sale is probably Jag's to lose.

The MB's just doesn't do anything for me, and it would be tough to choose AM over Jag after loving my XKE and XKR so much.

Bruce

Old 02-11-2013, 05:55 PM
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by GhostriderXKR08
So I went to the Chicago autoshow this morning and saw the new F-Type in the flesh. It does look pretty good. Unfortunately no on can go in it...not even the XKs.
They had a white F-Type at the Jaguar Alive Driving Experience in Rye, NY last October. It was open to everyone to sit in. I even popped the trunk and hood. The rear is just stunning. Unfortunately, I just can't warm up to the front grille design (images of the Honda S2000 start to appear - sorry!).

Mike

Old 02-12-2013, 06:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

The Aventador looks magnificent. If it drives as well as it looks...well I won't talk about that!!

If I had a spare $450K I'd pick one up...

Old 02-12-2013, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by mjsammon
Unfortunately, I just can't warm up to the front grille design (images of the Honda S2000 start to appear - sorry!).

Mike
What's a matter with that? A few marques have styled their front end off the S2000.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:36 AM

No doubt the F Type is a good looking car but was more excited seeing the Viper, Vette, R8 and Lambo.
The Viper does have more presence than the Vette. The Viper guys are all up in arms (which they should be) because MT last month had a head to head: New Viper vs C5 ZR1 and the ZR1 won. Although, some say GM might have provided a "Ringer" ZR1 as it was one of the fastest "Stock" ZR1 acceleration times people have seen. I was actually more excited seeing the Vette than the Viper but possibly because Viper has been out longer. The rear of the Vette is actually growing on me.

The BMW, MB, Audi (Except R8) was decent but nothing reall stood out. Alot of cars were all locked (most MBs, BMW, Audi, Jag, LR). No one can go in which was a bummer but I understand they do that as a few years ago some people vandalised cars and caused $30k in damaged. They ruined it for everyone. The only MB that caught my eye was the White G63. I know the G-Wagon is old old school but for some reason it still has presence. I wanted to see the 2014 E63 4matic (suppose to be 0-60 in 3.3-3.5 sec) but I forgot to look for it.

Here's the Chicago Auto Show Webcam. It's too bad they didn't put a cam for Jaguar/LR: http://www.chicagoautoshow.com/multimedia/web_cams.aspx

Old 02-12-2013, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

I am looking forward to seeing the new Vette as well as the F type in person as I didn't get the chance to get to the LA Auto show a couple of months ago. The rear lights on the Vette are just too fussy for me but would not alone be enough to eliminate it from a wish list. Can't stand any Lambos as they are just too "kitcar" looking compared to Ferraris. As for the R8, I had a chance to drive a new convertible (with the V10) for a couple of days with the automatic and my impression was that I liked the trans with the rev matching, liked the power, liked the quality, disliked the fake large tailpipes that house two smaller round pipes inside of them, felt the ride was not as silky smooth as the S5 Audi (which I have driven extensively and raced as well). I would like to drive an F type before I give an opinion; I think it is very attractive. I understand the release of the convertible first as I'm sure Jaguar looked at the sales history of the XK and wanted the greater sales vehicle. I hope the coupe will follow soon as the concept was exceptional, the performance versions will be trackable, and frankly, I believe that Jaguar has sort of chosen Porsche as its role model for the future and the coupe should be Jag's answer to the 911 coupe. I would guess the next couple of years will be critical to a continued existence for Jaguar.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:53 PM

Audi did make a few minor changes for the 2013 R8. All models now gets dual exhaust (most likely the same as you mention with 2 pipes inside the big oval tip). Some minor headlight and taillight treatment and the biggest change is the S-Tronic replacing the R-Tronic. Alot of R8 owners did not like the R-Tronic(Single Clutch) for some reason so Audi for 2013 put in the S-Tronic with Dual Clutch tranny. Looks like the new R8 is going to be here most likely end of next year. Rumors are the Gallardo will be introduced end of this year and because the R8 shares the platform with the Gallardo, the R8 will be introduced next year.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
A few marques have styled their front end off the S2000.
This may be true but it has no bearing on whether or not the styling appeals to me personally.

Mike

Old 02-12-2013, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I don't think anyone can look at the new C7 and the new Viper and prefer the looks of the C7. The Viper just looks awesome. I don't even care how the performance is between the two--I'd rather have the Viper!

Old 02-12-2013, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

I want to see one in real life before making a call on the F. On pictures it looks smaller than the actual specifications suggest.

I wish Jaguar would have gone to greater lengths in weight reduction, as both the similarly sized Carrera S or the Vette weighs hundreds of lbs. less. According to printed specs, the V8 F is 3671lbs vs. the CarreraS at 3075lbs. For an all out sports car weight is most important and will likely leave even the V8 F-type playing catch-up to those in actual track-type comparisons where the weight works against a car during breaking, cornering and accelerating. The 3 liter V6 saves only about 100lbs.

I've always preferred a couple version to a vert so, my wait will have to be somewhat longer.

The Aventador looks awesome in real life, simply stunning. Kind of like when the Miura was introduced or when the Countach would be seen in life form. Pictures never did justice to Lamborghinis. While most old time Lamborghini aficionados (including this one) did not approve of the Gallardo, Diablo, Murcielago styling exercises, I think the Aventador has returned Lamborghini to its outrageous roots. This is the first Lambo in decades that I really, really would want in my garage. I do not like it in Black, however, as it hides and dulls the styling details.

Albert

Last edited by axr6; 02-12-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:16 PM
Received 4,182 Likes on 3,645 Posts

great pics from the show - thanks for sharing. Have to say Viper gets my vote - have been a fan from the first launch and just looks menacing compared to the vette.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:10 AM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by axr6
I want to see one in real life before making a call on the F. On pictures it looks smaller than the actual specifications suggest.

I wish Jaguar would have gone to greater lengths in weight reduction, as both the similarly sized Carrera S or the Vette weighs hundreds of lbs. less. According to printed specs, the V8 F is 3671lbs vs. the CarreraS at 3075lbs. For an all out sports car weight is most important and will likely leave even the V8 F-type playing catch-up to those in actual track-type comparisons where the weight works against a car during breaking, cornering and accelerating. The 3 liter V6 saves only about 100lbs.

I've always preferred a coupe version to a vert so, my wait will have to be somewhat longer.......................

Albert

I'll wait to see the coupe version of the F-Type also. They usually always look better than the convertibles in my opinion. I understand it is coming in a couple of years and may offer a manual transmission with a possible track version.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:50 AM
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

My dealer told me that they are going to make a F type RS down the road with a manual tranny and 550 hp. If they do, I'm sure it will be a couple of years down the road

Old 02-13-2013, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

My dealer told me that they are going to make a F type RS down the road with a manual tranny and 550 hp. If they do, I'm sure it will be a couple of years down the road
2016 model year I would bet.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:05 PM

James, this more or less is in line with what Davy Jones told me at the R Academy last October when I asked him if buyers of the F-Type would be invited to the Academy.

Mike

Old 02-13-2013, 01:39 PM

Love the exhaust note and crackling on the F-Type:

Quick Reply: F-Type