Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

FYI Alcon rotors cheap!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,145 Likes on 3,385 Posts

Richard,

It's not about "winning" - it's about cost. No matter how you slice and dice it, comparing apples-to-apples, AutoAnything's overnight delivered cost was hundreds less than RockAuto's.

As for the business model of online auto parts vendors, you're right about most of them having the same business model, which is to offer free shipping with a minimum purchase. But RockAuto is different - they don't do free shipping, since their business model is to get you to shop at their website first. And how do they do that? By having a reputation for the absolute lowest prices on the internet. Then, when you check out they charge you for shipping. RockAuto may still have the lowest price, even if you have to pay for shipping. You just have to do your comparison shopping.

You're 100% right about the rotors being inventoried at Centric and shipped by them directly to AutoAnything's customer. But it's not clear who paid the freight cost, except that it wasn't me. It could have been either the seller (AA) or the factory (Centric). All that I was pointing out is that the freight was very expensive (even with discounts) and my transaction didn't make economic sense. You can't make a profit by selling a product for less than it costs. That's a Mission Impossible.

When I placed my order online, the free delivery choices included overnight and 2-3 days. Since it didn't cost me any more, I chose overnight. Maybe AutoAnything realized that they (or Centric) lost money on my sale and that's why the salesman didn't offer you next day delivery.

You're a retired financial planner, and I thought you'd get a chuckle out of the old joke about making up a loss by selling it in volume. Isn't that the rationale behind the national debt?

Stuart

Old 11-18-2016, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Stuart S:

You are correct. In any retail business, it's all about volume sales.

As far as the National Debt is concerned, people bitched and complained about Obama, but wait to they see what Trump does.

He claims he is the "king of debt". I am deeply concerned.

Life goes on, lets enjoy our Jaguars before we die.

Old 11-19-2016, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member

Old financial planners never die - they just lose interest.

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (03-19-2017)
Old 11-19-2016, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Old financial planners never die - they just lose interest.
I never lose or have lost interest in the financial markets or economics since retirement 4 years ago. I live, eat, and sleep the financial markets daily. It's deep in my blood and very deep in my own pocket book. I have 8 feet of computer monitors (4 monitors) working, and my home office looks like a control room at NASA.

I love it!

Old 03-19-2017, 09:39 AM
Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Has anyone looked into the Adamesh replacement Alcons? They look exactly the same for only $284 plus shipping.

Jaguar XKR Alcon Style Replacement Discs

Old 03-19-2017, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member

Shipping cost from the UK could be the deal breaker. Front rotors weigh 36 lbs.each, rears are a few pounds less.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:41 AM
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Just some current info for you folks. I just placed an order from Rock Auto for a new set of Alcon (Centric) brake rotors. My total, with about 38 bucks in shipping, came to $488.52. Fronts are priced at $127 each and rears are $98 each. Seemed like an OK enough of a deal for my pocket... Prices from Adamesh were much more than reasonable. Believe it or not, the overall costs were less than I expected. All four rotors were priced at $239, shipping costs were $212 and change, bringing the total to $452, or there abouts. So, all that said, Rock Auto, with the shipping charges, worked out to be about 35 bucks more. What ever... I'll just cut out a tank of fuel this month in one of the rides to make up for it. Not the first time I've screwed myself!

Overall, these prices seem to fall well in line with the prices originally stated in the first couple of posts in this thread. I believe Rock Auto only has two or three of the 126.20026 rotors left in stock. I hope I'm getting that part number correct... In any case, they have a limited amount available. Adamesh appears to have a supply that will be available for quite some time.

Oh, and additionally, when I searched these brake rotors at Auto Anything, the numbers came back as not found. Actually, they (A.A.) were not listed as an approved/recommended Centric distributor, on Centric's website. Seems kind'a weird... Guess maybe they may have soiled someones clean linens. Who knows...

Hope this helps a bit and happy hunting.

Last edited by Firecat17; 03-23-2017 at 01:21 AM.
Old 06-26-2020, 03:16 AM
Received 88 Likes on 25 Posts

Kicking an old thread back to life, I am looking at buying a 4.2 XKR with Alcon brakes/rotors. My last 4.2 XKR had standard rotors and I was pleasantly surprised a few months ago to be able to buy four new rotors and new brake pads all round for around 350 USD all up.

Am I in for a massive cost shock should I ever need to buy a set of Alcon rotors and pads?.

Old 06-26-2020, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, if you buy them from your Jaguar dealer. But ...

The last post was over 3 years ago and prices change.

You can answer your own question by shopping around. Check with the Forum vendors who sell new parts and ask for a member discount. Also check with the vendors mentioned in this thread.

Thanks in advance for letting us know what you find out.

Last edited by Stuart S; 06-26-2020 at 07:27 AM.
Old 06-26-2020, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryM
Kicking an old thread back to life, I am looking at buying a 4.2 XKR with Alcon brakes/rotors. My last 4.2 XKR had standard rotors and I was pleasantly surprised a few months ago to be able to buy four new rotors and new brake pads all round for around 350 USD all up.

Am I in for a massive cost shock should I ever need to buy a set of Alcon rotors and pads?.
Was the $350 at main dealer prices? Not likely as MSRP is significantly more. There are aftermarket options even for the Alcons, both pads and discs. As Stuart mentioned start with what was mentioned in this thread or search various parts suppliers.

Old 06-26-2020, 10:48 AM
Received 695 Likes on 349 Posts

There are aftermarket ones that fit. SNG Barrat sells OEM replicas for a decent price - however I don't believe they are balanced like OEM ones.

The real question is will you be able to overhaul the calipers when the time comes. 6 times the pistons, 6 times the hardware/seals needed. Those repair kits are not cheap.

Old 06-26-2020, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member

There are a couple of Alcon rebuilders, I think Chicago and North Carolina, costs approximately $250 per caliper to do a rebuild.

Old 06-26-2020, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jahummer
There are a couple of Alcon rebuilders, I think Chicago and North Carolina, costs approximately $250 per caliper to do a rebuild.
Do you have the names/websites of those shops?

Old 06-26-2020, 12:00 PM
Received 695 Likes on 349 Posts

So $1K for all 4? Crazy ...

Old 06-26-2020, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

Honestly it is less costly and easier than buying parts and doing it your self. And it is done by a factory trained professional.

But unless you track your car or have an issue, as long as brake fluid is changed regularly and calipers cleaned and lubricated there should not be any need for this for some time.

Last edited by jahummer; 06-26-2020 at 12:49 PM.
gkubrak (06-26-2020)
Old 06-26-2020, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

Do you have the names/websites of those shops?
North Carolina https://prosystembrakes.com/

Chicago https://alconkits.com/

Stuart S (06-26-2020)
Old 06-26-2020, 06:45 PM

Yes, if you buy them from your Jaguar dealer. But ...

The last post was over 3 years ago and prices change.

You can answer your own question by shopping around. Check with the Forum vendors who sell new parts and ask for a member discount. Also check with the vendors mentioned in this thread.

Thanks in advance for letting us know what you find out.
Thanks Stuart, I understood the thread was very old but thought I might get some quick and dirty updates if anyone had been down this road recently, I'm in a position where I need to make a decision within a couple of days if I buy a 07 XKR portfolio and the recent vehicle inspection on it suggested the rotors were worn.

There some helpful responses already suggesting 1k for brake servicing around so thats a good start to the research and is something I had not considered.

Thing is that in found my 08 XKR brakes were more than satisfactory for my normal road use and I don't do track work so not sure if I want the extra expense of Alcons around, it seems like it can be a significant additional maintenance cost.

I will check a NZ supplier on Monday but I am happy to import parts from the USA if there is a good cost saving.Hence asking around with you fellas in the USA.

Old 06-26-2020, 06:50 PM

Was the $350 at main dealer prices? Not likely as MSRP is significantly more. There are aftermarket options even for the Alcons, both pads and discs. As Stuart mentioned start with what was mentioned in this thread or search various parts suppliers.
A mechanic associate of ours passed them onto me at his cost price so yeah a most excellent deal, Unfortunately he is not able to give me pricing for alcon pads and new rotors until the middle of next week and I was hoping to find some rough answers this weekend.

Last edited by GaryM; 06-27-2020 at 12:21 AM.
Old 06-26-2020, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member

If the calipers are working fine now and as long as you maintain your brakes you're not likely to rebuild them just like any other caliper. However if the calipers were not taken care of or exposed to a lot of salt, the pistons are known to seize.

Even though he's in Oz, you may check with Cambo, member and moderator here as he has an Alcon Portfolio XKR in Sydney.

Old 06-27-2020, 12:24 AM

If the calipers are working fine now and as long as you maintain your brakes you're not likely to rebuild them just like any other caliper. However if the calipers were not taken care of or exposed to a lot of salt, the pistons are known to seize.

Even though he's in Oz, you may check with Cambo, member and moderator here as he has an Alcon Portfolio XKR in Sydney.
Thanks mate, I'm probably over thinking the caliper service issue, the car has been living a very long way from a salty atmosphere.

Quick Reply: FYI Alcon rotors cheap!