XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Key Fob & Center Console port

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,145 Likes on 3,385 Posts

I keep a spare CR2032 battery in my glove box just in case my Smartkey battery dies while I'm driving. Be sure to buy a brand-name spare battery from a local store so you can verify the expiration date. Never buy inexpensive batteries online because they're probably cheap Chinese copies that won't work. Replacing the Smartkey battery is very easy and requires no programming. See your Owners Handbook.

The following 3 users liked this post by Stuart S:
Boga (05-24-2021), danveenstra (03-19-2017), Sean W (03-18-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Great idea Stuart. I never thought to put it in the glove box. It does me little good if I'm on the road and it's @ home in the junk drawer. Sort of a duh moment for me.

The following users liked this post:
danveenstra (03-19-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by danveenstra
Jagtoes & Everyone else. I now have an understanding of that Start Control Module and it's relationship to the gauge cluster above the steering wheel. Thank you.

The Jag Dealership was unable to upload code and has put the car back together and notified Hiline Motor Sports to pick it up. Both Larry of Hiline and I were told by the dealership that they changed out the gauge cluster but today we found, in fact, they didn't. The car is being picked up tomorrow and taken back to the dealership where I bought it. Larry, of Hiline Motor Sports, gave me two choices. Either he would ship the vehicle to me and I could have the work done here in Tucson, Arizona and he would pay for it. Or, he would remove the cluster and ship it along with the two smart keys to a place he deals with in Great Britain. He said normally shipping to Great Britain, having it repaired, and receiving it takes around two weeks. He said either way I should not drive the car without that feature working because if the smart key ever had a low or dead battery I would have to have it trailered to a Jaguar dealership. Believe me, that is not something I want to go through again. I opted to have Larry deal with the problem as he has the contacts in Great Britain to get this done. It may take another month to get the car with shipping, etc. but it, I believe, this is the best thing to do. Again, thanks for your assistance.
I agree Dan. Let the dealership address it and fix it before shipping to you. That way you're assured you have a working module and won't have to hand it over to another dealership. It will be worth the wait. You are going to love this car my friend.

Good luck.

danveenstra (03-19-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 07:52 PM
Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Sean, If the smart key battery ever goes out can you merely replace the battery? If you have a spare battery in the glove compartment would that be a solution?

Old 03-20-2017, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

The smart key battery will last somewhere between 18 months and two years. If and when it tires, it is a simple change. Look in your owner's manual. If you don't have one you can download one at no charge the info on downloading is in the first three or four posts on this forum. Once you change the remote battery, start your car and you are good to go.

danveenstra (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 05:21 AM

Ralph WG,
I tried to find an XK manual and couldn’t find one. My vehicle is a 2007. Anyway, can I ask you for specifics? What you are saying is if the key fob batterygoes out then all I have to do is put a new battery in it and it will start thecar. It will start the car WITHOUTreprogramming it? Some cars have to havetheir key fobs reprogrammed after putting a new battery in it. Dan

Old 03-21-2017, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Don't need to reprogram after a battery change in the key fob.

Sean W (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by danveenstra
Sean, If the smart key battery ever goes out can you merely replace the battery? If you have a spare battery in the glove compartment would that be a solution?
Stuart was simply saying that if your FOB battery dies, keep the spare in the glove box (under normal everyday circumstances assuming all all modules are functioning). If that happens you can just replace the battery while sitting in your car and no need to worry if it's dead and wouldn't have to rely on the port in an emergency. It's not going to solve you start control module problem. Both Stuart and Jagtoes pointed out above that replacing a FOB battery doesn't require reprogramming.

Have they made any progress?

Last edited by Sean W; 03-21-2017 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:29 PM
Veteran Member

DanVeenstra - If you want to a pdf of the owner's manual you can find a link to it on X150 "home page". The link is in one of the first several entries after the three ads that are on top. If you are unable to find it, pm me with your email address and I will send you a PDF if the manual.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:31 PM
Veteran Member
danveenstra (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 07:28 AM

Well, yesterday Hiline Motor Sports picked up the 2007 Jag Convert from West Chester Jaguar in Pennsylvania and returned it to their shop. We left it in the Jaguar Dealership for one more day as their mechanic wanted to try once again to fix the problem. I understand from Larry of Hiline Motor Sports that Jaguar put in a new cluster and I now have a new key fob, 3 total. I understand the feature of starting the car with a dead key fob still does not work. I understand Larry paid $3,000 to Jaguar for their work. I told him I did not want to deal with the problem as I would merely put a new back-up battery in the glove compartment to be used in case the key fob ever were to go dead on me. Also, I plan to hide a second key fob without a battery somewhere in the car in case the key fob I am using were to become damaged. I would always have a back-up which I could insert a new battery into. I told Larry to ship the vehicle to me which he dispatched while driving my car back to his shop. I have to say that Larry of Hiline Motor Sports offered to continue with another Jaguar Dealership but I personally felt he has gone the extra mile already and at the same time I wanted the vehicle to drive here before the temperature is in the 110 degree range.

Old 01-03-2020, 03:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

answer is completely in the dark about everything they sell/