XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Key Fob & Center Console port

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 06:55 PM
Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Key Fob & Center Console port

I bought a 2007 XK the beginning of last month (February) and the dealership thoroughly checks out the vehicle prior to shipping. They found there was a problem with a port in the center console. Here is what the dealership said "The keyless go option on the car also has a port in the center console in case the key battery dies or is low in charge so you can still start the car. The port where the key fob inserts was not functioning properly. My tech goes over every item in every car prior to delivery so there are no issues once the car leaves our dealership."

Anyway, they sent the car to a local Jaguar dealership in Pennsylvania and the dealership has been trying to upload code which evidently is necessary to make it work again. My question is this - Is the Jaguar tech at the Jaguar dealership totally incompetent or is it really difficult to upload code to make this work? He has been trying to upload code for over two weeks.

As you can imagine, I am getting frustrated. I have the title to the car but I don't see the car in my garage.

Last edited by danveenstra; 03-13-2017 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by danveenstra
I bought a 2007 XK the beginning of last month (February) and the dealership thoroughly checks out the vehicle prior to shipping. They found there was a problem with a port in the center console. Here is what the dealership said "The keyless go option on the car also has a port in the center console in case the key battery dies or is low in charge so you can still start the car. The port where the key fob inserts was not functioning properly. My tech goes over every item in every car prior to delivery so there are no issues once the car leaves our dealership."

Anyway, they sent the car to a local Jaguar dealership in Pennsylvania and the dealership has been trying to upload code which evidently is necessary to make it work again. My question is this - Is the Jaguar tech at the Jaguar dealership totally incompetent or is it really difficult to upload code to make this work? He has been trying to upload code for over two weeks.

As you can imagine, I am getting frustrated. I have the title to the car but I don't see the car in my garage.
Does the smart key work on it's own (in your pocket)?
The port you're referring to is the start control module. Is the FOB not being pulled in when inserted or is there a dash message that no smart key is found?

Without knowing the cause of the delay at the dealership or the actual issue specifics (Fault code), I would escalate this to management or ask the original dealer to outsource the job to another location. I'm guessing all would be in agreement that 2 weeks is a bit long.

The following users liked this post:
danveenstra (03-16-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,136 Likes on 3,382 Posts

I suspect that since the dealer has the car, the dealer has both of the 2 smartkeys. I also suspect that the tech is having programming problems because one or both of those smartkeys are not original to the car and won't sync with the start control module. I'm not sure what the programming procedure is, but the tech might have to start with 2 new "virgin" smartkeys to make them work. Just my guess...

danveenstra (03-16-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 09:31 AM
Received 87 Likes on 37 Posts

Something smells wrong here ?? Especially since it looks like you're in another city.

The console port is not really needed (if the battery in the remote is OK). I've NEVER used mine. I can't see any 'dealership' spending time/money fixing an unneeded item on a 2007 car ....

Is the car a 'repo' or stolen/recovery by any chance ?? My guess is that they did not get any original remotes, and are trying to mate new ones with the car security/start system, and having problems. That is not unknown.

Good Luck.
For info, You should receive TWO remotes with the car. Each one has a removable 'blade' key that fits in a small lock slot in the trunk and under a cover at the rear of each door handle.

danveenstra (03-16-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 10:44 AM
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Not guaranteed you will get two keys on a 10 year old car. When I traded in my 09 xkr I only had one key and I doubt the dealer added another when they sold it two weeks later. I remember my fob getting jammed in that console cradle and I had to remove it with a screw driver and it never worked again. So maybe more to it than code. Good luck.

danveenstra (03-16-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyB
I've NEVER used mine.
I have used mine a few times and wouldn't be happy buying a car with a broken one. I had a remote go faulty on me while I was out and about and without access to the port I would have had to get the car towed. The car still won't see the fob unless it is in the port so it is now my emergency spare.

I also dock the fob in it when I am updating firmware on the car and you would also be unable to reprogram replacement fobs without it.

danveenstra (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 05:18 AM

U10268
Thanks for your response. That's exactly what my selling dealership said, Larry's Hiline Motorsports. Larry told me they didn't want to ship the vehicle to me without that feature working. Larry also said that the car would have to be towed to a Jag dealership if the Key Fob battery was low or dead. What I have is the car sitting in Jaguar of Westchester in Pennsylvania for a month. Larry, the owner of Hiline Motor Sports offered to refund my purchase price which I turned down. It's really frustrating for sure.

Old 03-16-2017, 05:30 AM

Sean,
The vehicle was sent to the Jaguar Dealership in West Chester, Pennsylvania a month ago because the Start Control Module in the center console wasn't working. The dealership replaced the gauge cluster on the dash and says they are having problems getting the new code uploaded. Stuart S. suggested that the Jag Dealership get two new unused Smart Keys and start over rather than trying to get the two keys that are currently with the car. I passed that on to my selling dealer, Larry's Hiline Motorsports, yesterday and Larry told me he passed it on to his personal mechanic. Evidently Larry's mechanic was going to have a conference call with the Service Supervisor at Jaguar of Westchester and the mechanic who is working on the car. I asked Larry of Hiline Motorsports if he could remove the car from the Jag dealership but he is hesitating as the car will not start and he would have to put it on a trailer to get it to another Jag dealership nearby. Frustrating!

Old 03-16-2017, 05:39 AM

JeremyB,
Thanks for your reply. The 2007 XK convertible I bought has a clean Carfax. I don't see any salvage or other major problem like that. Here is the listing for the vehicle at Larry's Hiline Motorsports:

Used 2007 Jaguar XK XK Convertible for sale in POTTSTOWN, PA | HiLine Motorsports LLC. 1-866-454-9231

The vehicle has low mileage and is really clean. Also, Larry's Hiline Motorsports has really good reviews and a lot of them. I think Larry is a standup guy but we are both in a difficult situation with the Jaguar Dealership in West Chester, Pennsylvania.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Sean,
The vehicle was sent to the Jaguar Dealership in West Chester, Pennsylvania a month ago because the Start Control Module in the center console wasn't working. The dealership replaced the gauge cluster on the dash and says they are having problems getting the new code uploaded. Stuart S. suggested that the Jag Dealership get two new unused Smart Keys and start over rather than trying to get the two keys that are currently with the car. I passed that on to my selling dealer, Larry's Hiline Motorsports, yesterday and Larry told me he passed it on to his personal mechanic. Evidently Larry's mechanic was going to have a conference call with the Service Supervisor at Jaguar of Westchester and the mechanic who is working on the car. I asked Larry of Hiline Motorsports if he could remove the car from the Jag dealership but he is hesitating as the car will not start and he would have to put it on a trailer to get it to another Jag dealership nearby. Frustrating!
I would assume the dealer knows that if they're replacing the gauge cluster with a used one or if a new instrument cluster is being installed, all smart keys must be cleared from the passive anti-theft system (PATS), using the Jaguar approved diagnostic equipment prior to the instrument cluster removal. And if it's a used cluster, it has to be done while installed in the old vehicle as i understand it (but not 100% positive).

If you had a mismatch between the FOBS and the gauge cluster in the first place, the car's PATS system wouldn't have allowed the car to start, so one of the codes is leading the to replace the cluster.

So we have to assume this is a known as they are a Jag dealership. But these are just assumptions as we don't know the DTC's.

Stuart's suggestion is valid though they still have to clear the smart keys from the PATS system. I believe a single new FOB is over $300 so your seller may not go for it as he doesn't want to incur a towing expense.

I guess the conference call is the escalation and hopefully they'll sort it out soon. I wouldn't buy a car without a working one for the same reasons u102768 addresses.

Good luck sir.

danveenstra (03-17-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,130 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Sean is correct- the missing piece in the puzzle was the information that the gauge cluster had been replaced! So, yes, you have to make sure that the dealership is taking this fact into account - and that they have consulted Jaguar's "super technicians" who solve problems that individual dealers are having trouble with (that is the way it works in Canada and I can only assume that there is a similar system in the US).

danveenstra (03-17-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,136 Likes on 3,382 Posts

It's a really beautiful, low-mileage 2007 XK, and I have no doubt that it can and will be fixed. It's just a matter of time and money; finding the right Jaguar technician with the knowledge and experience to sort it out. This type of problem would never happen "back in the day", but with cars having modern electronics and computers ... well, you know, if it doesn't exactly comply with the code, you're dead in the water.

I agree with Sean W and sov211. A knowledgeable Tech should be able to get it to start.

This problem happened because Jaguar engineers diabolically designed their Smartkey system to stop car thieves from reprogramming a Smartkey from one XK to work on a different XK. Once that Smartkey is lost or "orphaned" from its birth mother X150, it's useless and can't be easily reprogrammed to work in another X150. That's why I thought the only way to solve the problem is with all new components and new codes. Hopefully, the super Tech will have a less expensive work-around solution.

Last edited by Stuart S; 03-16-2017 at 06:37 PM.
danveenstra (03-17-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

JeremyB,
Thanks for your reply. The 2007 XK convertible I bought has a clean Carfax. I don't see any salvage or other major problem like that. Here is the listing for the vehicle at Larry's Hiline Motorsports:

Used 2007 Jaguar XK XK Convertible for sale in POTTSTOWN, PA | HiLine Motorsports LLC. 1-866-454-9231

The vehicle has low mileage and is really clean. Also, Larry's Hiline Motorsports has really good reviews and a lot of them. I think Larry is a standup guy but we are both in a difficult situation with the Jaguar Dealership in West Chester, Pennsylvania.
So far unless I missed it I haven't seen any escalation to the general manager or dealership owner of both shops along with a JOA contact. Although it seemed like a minor fix it has turned into a nightmare. The car looks great and will make a great driver but I would give them a deadline and if they miss it then request my money back. I would set up a face to face with them all ASAP.

danveenstra (03-17-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

I tend to agree with Jagtoes. It is time to Jaguar USA involved. My guess is once they get involved they will sort out the problem forthwith. Since you now own the car, it is your choice. If you get no satisfaction from the conference call then YOU should call Jaguar USA. Define the problem and describe the steps taken by the Jaguar dealer and ask Jaguar USA to get directly involved. Good luck it is a beautiful vert. Once you get it sorted out you should get years of pleasure out of it.

danveenstra (03-17-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 04:38 AM

Thanks, everyone. I'm passing this thread on to Larry's Hiline Motorsports so he can pass it on to the Jag dealership in West Chester, Pennyslvania. I know many of you are mechanics and have come across these problems before. Again, thank you all.

Old 03-17-2017, 04:41 AM

SOV211,

Thanks. I suggested that Larry with HiLine Motorsports get the US Jaguar office on the West Coast involved. I'm quite certain they also have "Super Tech's" as in Canada.
Dan

Old 03-17-2017, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,130 Likes on 1,304 Posts

SOV211,

Thanks. I suggested that Larry with HiLine Motorsports get the US Jaguar office on the West Coast involved. I'm quite certain they also have "Super Tech's" as in Canada.
Dan
I had occasion to experience the involvement of the Jaguar "super tech" service several years ago when my dealer needed an answer to a vexing issue with my XJ8 (can't remember what it was...). The super-tech actually came to the dealership and I had a chat with him. He worked formerly for BMW in the same capacity and he told me that in his experience modern Jaguars have far fewer serious issues than BMWs (!) . And, yes, he did solve my issue, whatever it was. I loved that XJ8 (X350), just as I love my XK.

danveenstra (03-17-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member

SOV211,

Dan
Dan , here's what I would do. Personally contact the owner of HiLine and the GM and service manager of the Jaguar dealership. Also find out and call someone of Jaguar of America headquarters. Explain the problem to JOA. Schedule a face to face meeting at the Jaguar dealership and tell HiLine they will pay for your transportation. Request all parties to provide a diagnostics plan to resolve the problem. Also identify an aggressive timeline to resolve or you will walk away expecting a certified check refunding your money at that date. If necessary a lawyer may be warranted. You have exceeded my threshold of pain and frustration. Just sayin

danveenstra (03-18-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 09:39 PM

Jagtoes & Everyone else. I now have an understanding of that Start Control Module and it's relationship to the gauge cluster above the steering wheel. Thank you.

The Jag Dealership was unable to upload code and has put the car back together and notified Hiline Motor Sports to pick it up. Both Larry of Hiline and I were told by the dealership that they changed out the gauge cluster but today we found, in fact, they didn't. The car is being picked up tomorrow and taken back to the dealership where I bought it. Larry, of Hiline Motor Sports, gave me two choices. Either he would ship the vehicle to me and I could have the work done here in Tucson, Arizona and he would pay for it. Or, he would remove the cluster and ship it along with the two smart keys to a place he deals with in Great Britain. He said normally shipping to Great Britain, having it repaired, and receiving it takes around two weeks. He said either way I should not drive the car without that feature working because if the smart key ever had a low or dead battery I would have to have it trailered to a Jaguar dealership. Believe me, that is not something I want to go through again. I opted to have Larry deal with the problem as he has the contacts in Great Britain to get this done. It may take another month to get the car with shipping, etc. but it, I believe, this is the best thing to do. Again, thanks for your assistance.

Sean W (03-18-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member

Good luck.

danveenstra (03-18-2017)