XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Xmas hot drink drama and how to remove center console

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,905 Likes on 1,292 Posts

You should get yourself a copy of the shop manual, it details these things, only costs you about 14 bucks on eBay for a PDF download.
You need to take out the console to remove the ash tray (did it last year to fix my ash tray cover that wouldn't stay open).
You need to loosen that shifter cable 'tension adjuster' so that you can slide it out from the bracket (the manual says to mark the nut positions so that you can return them to the correct position).
The end of the cable 'pops off' the shifter assembly (takes a bit of force, and I worried I might break it).

The following users liked this post:
JustNiz (01-20-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 12:22 PM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

The bad news is you must remove the whole console to get the ashtray and cover out. Search "remove ashtray" on this forum, there are a couple of threads on removing it.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:20 AM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by kj07xk
You should get yourself a copy of the shop manual, it details these things, only costs you about 14 bucks on eBay for a PDF download.
You need to take out the console to remove the ash tray (did it last year to fix my ash tray cover that wouldn't stay open).
You need to loosen that shifter cable 'tension adjuster' so that you can slide it out from the bracket (the manual says to mark the nut positions so that you can return them to the correct position).
The end of the cable 'pops off' the shifter assembly (takes a bit of force, and I worried I might break it).
Thanks I just now followed your suggestion and bought a copy of the shop manual, I didn't realize "normal" people could even get it, especially not that cheaply. Awsome! Thanks.

Old 01-20-2017, 04:49 AM
Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by JustNiz
Thanks I just now followed your suggestion and bought a copy of the shop manual, I didn't realize "normal" people could even get it, especially not that cheaply. Awsome! Thanks.
Not sure I would call XK owners 'Normal'

Enlightened perhaps,picky maybe

Old 01-24-2017, 07:09 PM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

Thanks to everyone's help here. The car is now clean, back together and doesn't smell like a Starbucks anymore :-)
What a pain in the butt it was though! I especially can't believe the **** you have to go through, just to remove the ashtray!