XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 Aftermarket ICE Upgrade with, ipod, bluetooth, facia and steering wheel controls

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 07:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

XKRacer -

Although I seem to have the Premium loom, I understand that the premium sound system included the power amp (situated over the CD changer), additional tweeters and a sub-woofer. I only seem to have the standard six speakers (2xdash, 2xfront and 2xrear) and no evidence of an amp and sub-woofer. I managed to find a colour schematic for the audio system and the chart shows two sets of diagrams one with amp, sub and amp and one without, so I guess I have the standard system but with an option to upgrade to premium package like the telephone - I have buttons in place but no phone was purchased..

Old 12-20-2011, 08:38 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

hi punter, the unit that Mark is installing and that is in my car now, is a JVC ADV49. It is the predecessor to the current AVX77. I thought about upgrading, but there are very few 'new' features that the 77 gives for its price, except one - the microphone.

Mark, whiteXKR has my head unit, and he has told me the microphone is actually in the front of the 'brain' located BEHIND the faceplate. That could be the very reason it is so poor, and why the AVX77 got a hardwired microphone. I'll let you know if whiteXKR is successful getting the new microphone connected to my deck.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Thanks for the update H2Oboy. I just bought Facia Adapter from Nexxia and XJ6 trim piece, they will be arriving within the week. However, it looks like I'll have to have a professional install. My friend and business partner had planned on doing it together but we just got a big contract that starts the 1st of the year and will not have time. Keep me posted on how WhiteXKR makes out.

Mark

Old 12-20-2011, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

I got the external microphone in the JVC ADV49 tonight. That headunit was a bit of a puzzle to disassemble, but the 2nd time will be easier. I tested it on the bench with my Droid and it seemed to work quite well. Lets see what H2Oboy think when he reinstalls it in his car. If the result is still good in an automotive environment, I can do yours.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 12-20-2011 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
I got the external microphone in the JVC ADV49 tonight. That headunit was a bit of a puzzle to disassemble, but the 2nd time will be easier. I tested it on the bench with my Droid and it seemed to work quite well. Lets see what H2Oboy think when he reinstalls it in his car. If the result is still good in an automotive environment, I can do yours.
Great, I'll hold off on the install then. H2Oboy, what kind of microphone did you buy and where did you buy it? Also, when you get it installed, I'd like to know how you route the microphone. Thanks,

Mark

Old 12-21-2011, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member

Hey guys, I got my XJ6 trim piece from Coventry West today; still waiting on the Nexxia fascia adapter. I assume that I move the existing switches to the new trip piece? Please confirm.

Mark

Old 12-22-2011, 09:13 AM
Received 111 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by mjlaris
Hey guys, I got my XJ6 trim piece from Coventry West today; still waiting on the Nexxia fascia adapter. I assume that I move the existing switches to the new trip piece? Please confirm.

Mark
Hi, Yes thats what I did, its an easy swap.

regards

Old 03-08-2012, 10:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking about upgrading my unit and wanted to see how hard it is to do it your self. Did u get yours installed?

Old 03-08-2012, 11:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by cyrusdh
I am thinking about upgrading my unit and wanted to see how hard it is to do it your self. Did u get yours installed?
Actually I'm just getting ready to do it over the next couple of weeks. As far as difficulty, it's beyond my ability. If it weren't for H2Oboy's help I would have to take it to a shop to have it installed.

Mark

Old 03-22-2012, 05:24 PM

Smoggy,

How did you plug in the steering wheel control and the bluetooth mic? I had the same Alpine head unit in another vehicle and ordered all the parts for my 98 XK8 convertible, but have the mic and steering wheel control and 1 plug on the radio. Can you help me? Alpine also has an amp to raise the radio to 45watts rms by plugging into the back of the unit. Full plug and play, no wiring at all.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:15 PM
Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

I am feeling like I should have done more to my sound system after reading this.

I have an ipod connected to the cassette player via a "magic" cassette with a line in connector. The "magic" cassette cost 3 dollars, and I already had the ipod. Sounds OK on the Alpine rig that came with the car.

I asked a local system installer about a new music set up. He suggested ripping everything out and replacing it with a Kenwood unit and two new speakers for 200US including install. Maybe next week?

Old 03-24-2012, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by trooney968
Smoggy,

How did you plug in the steering wheel control and the bluetooth mic? I had the same Alpine head unit in another vehicle and ordered all the parts for my 98 XK8 convertible, but have the mic and steering wheel control and 1 plug on the radio. Can you help me? Alpine also has an amp to raise the radio to 45watts rms by plugging into the back of the unit. Full plug and play, no wiring at all.

The Maunual shows 2 connection points http://www.alpine.uk.com/fileadmin/u...E-103BT_EN.pdf one for the mic and one for the steering wheel controls.

See the attached link. Or go to alpine europe click on support and type in the unit ref CDE-103BT.

Hope this helps

Regards

Old 05-16-2012, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

Has anyone wired an aftermarket head unit to the alpine stereo in an 01 xk8?

This thread has been great as far as figuring out the pieces u need etc. I'm still wondering if I can wire up a headunit, while keeping the rest of the alpine system - amp sub etc...

Thanks in advance,

George

Old 05-16-2012, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
Has anyone wired an aftermarket head unit to the alpine stereo in an 01 xk8?

This thread has been great as far as figuring out the pieces u need etc. I'm still wondering if I can wire up a headunit, while keeping the rest of the alpine system - amp sub etc...

Thanks in advance,

George
If memory serrves me, I think XKRacer has said a modern Alpine headunit will work with the factory system.

I am sure he will chime in with the details.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:47 AM

Just as a general update.

I have now replaces the head unit. I have upgraded from an Alpine CDE-103BT to a CDE-133BT. The main differeance is music streaming through bluetooth A2DP. Using an Android Phone.

All the cables were the same for both units.

So now I can use my phone as my Ipod wirelesley and when I want GPS and mount the phone on the dash and the instructions come in across the music.

I also installed a hidden power supply for the phone with the cable only emerging next to the phone.

I find that mounting the microphone near the trip computer reset buttons is the best place for the microphone(s).

regards

As I now carry a private phone and a works blackberry I also installed an old Parrott CK3000 bluetooth for the works phone.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:20 AM

H2o boy thats really nice mods man I what is that stereo called mines broken i need to replace mine I have a xk8 2001 can i do this to also mine comes with 3 gauges no gps can i get gps installed instead of gauges?

Old 07-10-2012, 12:31 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

All you need is to replace the video screen in the dash for those gauges, and run power to the screen itself. If you post a thread here in the forums, there are a number of owners who are doing the opposite of you - trying to put in gauges in place of the old navigation screen, and the biggest cost is finding all three wood pieces that make up the dash...each set is unique in color, and more importantly, the wood pattern. I imagine you can find someone willing to swap your three pieces of wood and gauges for their wood and screen (and probably the wiring harness that goes to it...it'll make it easier for you to get it powered up to act as a monitor for the Garmin, and/or JVC head unit (ADV-49 model, btw is what mine is), backup camera, Iphone screen...possibilities are endless with the right video switch.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by smoggyx100
Just as a general update.

I have now replaces the head unit. I have upgraded from an Alpine CDE-103BT to a CDE-133BT. The main differeance is music streaming through bluetooth A2DP. Using an Android Phone.

All the cables were the same for both units.

So now I can use my phone as my Ipod wirelesley and when I want GPS and mount the phone on the dash and the instructions come in across the music.

I also installed a hidden power supply for the phone with the cable only emerging next to the phone.

I find that mounting the microphone near the trip computer reset buttons is the best place for the microphone(s).

regards

As I now carry a private phone and a works blackberry I also installed an old Parrott CK3000 bluetooth for the works phone.

I have gone back to the 103BT, the 133Bt did not use ID tags whilst streeming so it was a backward step.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys are all wayover my head. But I do want to do a project with my '99 XK8 Coupe. First, I'm in California. Second I cant do the work myself, I have to find a shop or independant to do it. I want to move the CD player to the center console, convert it to run digital cell phone with all the steering wheel and console button s working (replacing console is OK too) and a better radio, I have lots of multipath. Could anyone give me comments on how to work this out, what can be done, or not, what parts to buy. Does it require computer work? Etc. Please

Old 10-02-2012, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jagalways
You guys are all wayover my head. But I do want to do a project with my '99 XK8 Coupe. First, I'm in California. Second I cant do the work myself, I have to find a shop or independant to do it. I want to move the CD player to the center console, convert it to run digital cell phone with all the steering wheel and console button s working (replacing console is OK too) and a better radio, I have lots of multipath. Could anyone give me comments on how to work this out, what can be done, or not, what parts to buy. Does it require computer work? Etc. Please
I have upgraded my head unit to a JVC with Bluetooth and replaced the stock sat/nav with a new Garmin unit that uses the original nav screen. As for what you should do, only you can answer that question. It depends on exactly what features you want and how much you want to spend. Probably the simplest would be to get a single DIN head unit with Bluetooth. This will replace the stock head unit, can be hooked up to use the steering wheel controls, and will allow you to connect to your mobile phone via Bluetooth. You can get any number of single DIN units for between $300 and $500 and a car audio shop will likely be able to install it for less than $500.

If you want navigation upgraded as well, there are a couple of single DIN units that have navigation with a screen that retracts into the head unit. These can be had for $500 to $700.

Then if you want to replace your speakers, amp, etc. you can get into some real money. I spent over $2k on parts alone but went to great effort to preserve the factory look as much as possible.

My recommendation is that you look at the threads on this site, figure out what features are must have and what are just nice to have, determine how much you have to spend, and then find a good local car audio shop and talk to them. You can also look at sites such as Crutchfield to get some ideas on what head units are available.

Once you get into the project, feel free to come back here and bounce ideas off of the members. That's what I did and I got a lot of help and now have a system that has all the features I wanted and looks great in my car.

Mark

The following users liked this post:
Jagalways (10-16-2012)

Quick Reply: 1999 Aftermarket ICE Upgrade with, ipod, bluetooth, facia and steering wheel controls