XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How limited is the 2005 Carbon Fiber Edition?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 11:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello from a new member,

I recently bought a XKR here in Germany which came originally from the US. It's produced in Feb. 2005, and has also the carbon inside, outside platinum, but the rest of the inside is black with the nice Recaro seats. My impression is that it's one of the CF edition, but how can you be 100% sure. I also wonder about the numbers of XK8 and XKR CF editions, coming back to the topic of this thread, how rare is mine?

I do have the red brembo brakes with 20'' BBS Detroit rims, not the "R" at the steering wheel, but on the gear knob. My serial no. ends with A45241.

How limited is the 2005 Carbon Fiber Edition?-iphone_ds-029.png

How limited is the 2005 Carbon Fiber Edition?-iphone_ds-031.png

How limited is the 2005 Carbon Fiber Edition?-iphone_ds-040.png

Old 08-20-2016, 07:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default CF Edition

Not sure if you received my reply? I have the CF edition on my 2006 XK. As you can see from the attached image of dealer sticker the cost of the CF was $4,595.00.

From your photos I would definitely say it is a CF edition. If your XK has the green badge with checkered flag credentials it might be a Victory edition. See brochure attached. BTW there were only 200 CF editions made in worldwide.

Hope that helps.

Attached Thumbnails How limited is the 2005 Carbon Fiber Edition?-jag-xk8-sticker-14962628_43.jpg   How limited is the 2005 Carbon Fiber Edition?-14962628_44.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2006_XK Brochure.pdf (1.09 MB, 97 views)
Old 08-21-2016, 12:23 PM
Received 188 Likes on 123 Posts

DS Germany & Midsmith

As I said in an earlier post, if you want to call it a CF Edition, do so. Just be aware that if you or the original owner had to pay $4500+ additional for the CF make over, then it isn't one, just a look alike. The CF edition (2005 only) didn't have Brembo brakes or 20" wheels (they were 19") and they did have the "R" embossed on the all leather steering wheel.

As can be seen from the invoice, most all of the CF details could be bought as add ons.

However, missing the two tone interior-or-two different leathers on the doors and seats is also a give away that the CF details on the rest of the interior were just add on.

This does not mean your beautiful car is not still a beauty. As has been said by many in the past "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder"

Cheers

Old 08-21-2016, 03:15 PM

Would you consider my XK a CF edition? It has carbon fiber dash, etc., two toned seats and leather wrapped steering wheel with an R on it.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...85bfdcabd.jpeg

Old 08-21-2016, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by DS-Germany
Hello from a new member,

I recently bought a XKR here in Germany which came originally from the US. It's produced in Feb. 2005, and has also the carbon inside, outside platinum, but the rest of the inside is black with the nice Recaro seats. My impression is that it's one of the CF edition, but how can you be 100% sure. I also wonder about the numbers of XK8 and XKR CF editions, coming back to the topic of this thread, how rare is mine?

I do have the red brembo brakes with 20'' BBS Detroit rims, not the "R" at the steering wheel, but on the gear knob. My serial no. ends with A45241.

Attachment 134719

Attachment 134720

Attachment 134721
If you really want to know then email the JDHT with your VIN number and they will tell you exactly what the car is.

From your photos I suspect it to be a normal XKR with CF panels.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:03 PM

As mentioned above, contact the JDHT with your Vin number and go with their answer.

Cheers

Old 08-22-2016, 12:48 AM
Received 227 Likes on 169 Posts

Pop your VIN in here and you should get the build sheet
Vehicle Lookup

Old 08-22-2016, 02:40 PM

Hello and many thanks for your feedback & suggestions,

please don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely happy with my XKR, and can easily accept if it's "just" a normal one, and not a CF edition, both are very rare - and beautiful.

I have checked already at the vehicle lookup link above, but I can't find a CF package add-on, just: Marketing Level 1, Less Warning Display, Less Heated Windscreen, Less IP Facia Contrast Colours and lot more.

I also found at XK8/XKR ENTHUSIASTS CLUB (XKEC)- Carbon Fibre the following description of the first CF edition in the UK:

Few people will ever drive this extraordinary car. Yet, the privileged 100 owners of the new XKR Carbon Fibre Limited Edition will experience a stunning, contemporary driver´s car with a mouth-watering specification.
It also comes at a price that represents unrivalled value for money – saving more than £3500 on the full cost of equipment. The carbon fibre facia with aluminium instrument bezels and J-Gate surround sets the high-tech, sporting tone. Satellite Navigation, Premium Sound and Recaro seats in Ivory or Warm Charcoal soft grain leather are all standard. From outside, the XKR Carbon Fibre is poised on 20" BBS split-rim alloy wheels, set off by Brembo racing red callipers. Only 50 coupés (£64,650 OTR) and 50 convertibles (£71,450 OTR) were built for delivery from September 1 2004.
[/I][/I]

Does anyone of you know if they really equipped the Recaro seats in two tone leather? I only saw the two tone seats & interiour at the XK8, not at an XKR. And has someone already his certificate, with a mentioning of the CF edition?

@Chuck, are you sure that the US version was only delivered with 19'', I wonder why they may changed the package above when shipped to the US.

I'll try to get in touch with the first owner, he may still has the invoice or any other clear document.

Old 08-22-2016, 05:16 PM
Default CF Edition

My XK has the R on the steering wheel and gear shift. Also the two tone leather on seats and doors.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:18 AM

Hello midsmith,

thanks for the additional information. From your badge I saw that you have the XK8, but not the Recaro seats. I have the feeling that the two tone interiour wasn't a choice with Recaros.

The configuration of my XKR fits exactly to the above description from the first UK CF models, and I also found a MSRP of $82,330.00 plus destination charge $665.00, so I doubt that the CF is an add-on package.

I hope to get an answer from the first owner.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:26 AM

DS-Germany,

Never say never----------Went to the UK club (XKEC club) web site and read all the inputs about your car and others and it looks like and I'm sure it is--at least in the UK, a CARBON FIBER edition. Sounds as if you found the plum in the pudding. Great!

I did note that most write up's about the different cars built by Jaguar during the years of the 100 and 150 were leaning to the UK side of our world with little mention of the cars exported to the US -example: the 200 XK8 CF editions. However, it is a UK club and just the fact that cars like yours are mentioned, is well worth the information. So, my friend, welcome to the CF Edition of cars. As the saying goes; "Your never to old to learn" and at 81, I'm still learning a lot.

So, all of you guys/dolls out there who are checking to see if your car is a "Carbon Fiber Edition", the first thing to find out is [where did it come from]. If from the US dealer and it's not a 2005, probably not. If it's from the UK and was shipped over here by someone other then Jaguar, maybe so. DS-Germany' car is a perfect example....20" wheels and all :-))

Cheers.

Old 08-23-2016, 01:10 PM
Default CF Edition

Thanks for link. My XK has the Alcantara seating which is ivory leather with black suede inserts. Looks very sharp. I'm not sure if this was a standard offering with the CF edition.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:13 PM

midsmith--

Just to clear things up a bit on the seats, the Alcantara part of the seat is the dark inserts you call suede. Don't know just how you meant your write up, but just wanted to be sure.

Cheers

Old 09-24-2016, 11:45 AM

Finally I received the origin invoice, which shows that my XKR is unfortunately no carbon fiber edition, not even the UK version. It seems that one of the pre-owners did some modifications, nevertheless it has the perfect configuration for me now.

@Chuck, so you were right with your first estimation, many thanks again for your help and support.

Old 09-25-2016, 12:12 PM

DS Germany,

Not to worry DS. It might not be a CF edition, but look at it this way: My CF convert came from a new auto car lot and I just happened upon it. I didn't know anything about special cars, but after I did a little research, I found loads of info about the CF editions.

You have a very unique car and unlike mine, I may see the other 199 cars that are called CF editions. You have a [one of a kind] and doubt you will ever see another like it. That in it's self is a rare find. Congrats.

Cheers

Old 01-29-2017, 06:10 PM
Default 2005 XK8 Convertibe black/black CF Edition 36k miles

Hello from a new member!
Just read your discussion and can add another one. Seems like these are quite rare cars. It bought mine in the US and imported it to Germany.
Cheers, Jan

Attached Thumbnails How limited is the 2005 Carbon Fiber Edition?-img_0067.jpg   How limited is the 2005 Carbon Fiber Edition?-img_0064.jpg  
Old 10-20-2017, 05:25 PM
Received 144 Likes on 92 Posts

One currently for sale on Craigslist here.

Old 12-17-2017, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

I suspect my 06, 01/05 build date could be a CF. It has the R wheel cover/shift, Alcantara trim, pedals, 19"Atlas, A lot of money to invest for a lookalike.

The front bumper cover has been replaced due to accident and I'm going to have to take it off and do a better alignment. The PO still has the badge but sent a picture of it. It's a Victory emblem with the white border and checker flags, which I assume is incorrect and probably a replacement, the original being destroyed. The car is black/charcoal. Pics when I get it cleaned up.

I will relay my info to Jaguar Heritage once I get the new title and find out for certain. I'm not particularly concerned either way, but it would be nice to know.

Last edited by RJ237; 12-17-2017 at 12:39 PM. Reason: add badge
Old 12-24-2017, 12:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts
Smile Hey, RJ237

Originally Posted by RJ237
I suspect my 06, 01/05 build date could be a CF. It has the R wheel cover/shift, Alcantara trim, pedals, 19"Atlas, A lot of money to invest for a lookalike.

The front bumper cover has been replaced due to accident and I'm going to have to take it off and do a better alignment. The PO still has the badge but sent a picture of it. It's a Victory emblem with the white border and checker flags, which I assume is incorrect and probably a replacement, the original being destroyed. The car is black/charcoal. Pics when I get it cleaned up.

I will relay my info to Jaguar Heritage once I get the new title and find out for certain. I'm not particularly concerned either way, but it would be nice to know.
Hello, RJ237,

Maybe, instead of being a "CF".....It could be a "Victory Edition"......The previous Owner apparently still has the Nose Emblem and it sounds like it's the "V-E" Emblem.....Look at the "Tail Lights"! If they are darker on the bottom than the Standard XKR and the Tops are much clearer, it is probably a "V-E"!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 12-24-2017, 06:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

Thanks Billy, I am unable compare tail lights but the door sill trim plats don't have the checker flags so I don't think it's a VE. The badge is probably a replacement from the accident that destroyed the bumper cover.

Quick Reply: How limited is the 2005 Carbon Fiber Edition?