XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Loose U-Joints"

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 04:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Loose U-Joints"

Okay, so I'm still new to the Jaguar scene but have done a lot of shade tree mechanic work on many different vehicles, so what I'm about to tell you makes no sense to me. My wife got run off the road in the Jag a week or so ago. She didn't get very far off but a branch folded her mirror in and knocked the glass out, glass is fine but she appears to be missing some sort of clip to attach the glass to the body, mechanic wants $350 to replace that, reasonable or could I order it and do it? He also says the oil pan is bent and wants $250 to replace that, doesn't sound bad to me. The kicker is, he says that the "U-joints are loose"! I did a search and didn't find anything, looked at the parts fiche and the only u-joints that I can find are on the half shafts, which is what I was expecting. In my 40 plus years I have never heard of u-joints being loosened by running off the road and don't believe it could happen. Need some advice from your combined experience please.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:51 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Hey G-Man

First off we need to know your vehicle model and year? Then we need to know is the mechanic talking about a "U-Joint" in the front or back of the car? And, probably most helpful, can you snap and post a picture of the alleged failed U-joint? With that info we will be well on the way to an answer for you. The Forum members will most certainly be able to get you moving in the right direction.

Regards

Tim V.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:42 PM

I guess those things might help, lol. The Jag is an '06 XKR, it only has 30k miles on it. My wife actually talked to the mechanic, I haven't yet, wanted to try and get some info. so I could go into the conversation well informed. She said that he told her it was back u-joints. Unfortunately, the car is in the shop waiting for us to tell them what to do so I won't be able to get pics unless I just bring it home while researching this. The other twist to this, is that we did buy an extended warranty when we purchased the car, so the shop contacted them about the u-joints possibly being warranty work. Again, I wanted to get some feedback from you guys before I talked to them. Thank you.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:10 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,209 Likes on 1,701 Posts

The U joints on the rear axle have often been overlooked by the mechanics on scheduled maintenance. We have had several cars identified with universals that were bone dry and I had two of them on my car. As for them being part of the mishap I find that hard to believe. Ask for the old parts and then you will see the real cause.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:23 PM

Even if they have been neglegted and are dry, would they be worn out at only 30k miles? I'm just asking, I honestly don't know the answer to that question. While I can't find in the driver's handbook how often to change the oil, dealer we bought it from said recommended every 15k miles but he would change at 7k, I have read here every 10k miles. so if we go with every 10k miles for service then, even if they have never been serviced/greased, it's only missed 2 service points. I'm just trying to make sure that I understand so that I can intelligently have this conversation with the mechanic and the warranty company.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:04 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

The frequency of the oil change depends on the type oil you are using and the quality of the oil. I do about 5k to 7k miles but that is my choice. I am attaching a link to Bob the Oil WebPage that might help in your decision. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com As for the U joints the life is dependent on the frequency of lubrication, weather conditions and previous driving habits. No way to know for sure why they need to be replaced until you replace them and look at the old part.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 578 Likes on 476 Posts

Personally I would be amzed on such a low mileage car for the UJs to be worn even if they have never been greased.

It is not unusual to see UJs without grease nipples on 100K mile cars and they are still fine.

As to the UJ failing due to the traffic incident, again I would be amazed unless something from underneath smahed into the drive shaft.

What I will say to be careful, UJs cost a small fortune from Jaguar over $150 each but everyone who is in the trade knows they can buy them for $30 because they are the same ones they have used for years going through a lot of the ranges of Jaguar, and non OE are easy to come by.

I am not 100% sure on the prices in the US as I have just converted the UK prices but I cannot imagine it being much different!

Old 05-11-2011, 08:04 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XKRacer
Personally I would be amzed on such a low mileage car for the UJs to be worn even if they have never been greased.

It is not unusual to see UJs without grease nipples on 100K mile cars and they are still fine.

As to the UJ failing due to the traffic incident, again I would be amazed unless something from underneath smahed into the drive shaft.

What I will say to be careful, UJs cost a small fortune from Jaguar over $150 each but everyone who is in the trade knows they can buy them for $30 because they are the same ones they have used for years going through a lot of the ranges of Jaguar, and non OE are easy to come by.

I am not 100% sure on the prices in the US as I have just converted the UK prices but I cannot imagine it being much different!
Under normal conditions I would say you are 100% correct, however, I have seen several on this and other forums that found them dry and worn and that includes 2 of mine. After my reporting the problem several found them to be dry and added grease to them.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,260 Likes on 564 Posts

OK... how do I grease my u-joints? Pictures anyone?

Old 05-11-2011, 08:18 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
All are equipped with grease nipples, just find the ujoints 2 on each side and fill them up.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:59 AM
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

You guys got me thinking about my UJ's ... so I lifted and blocked the rear end. That made it easy to rotate the wheels to get the nipples in position. They weren't dry but took about 4 pumps each. This post is starting to sound X rated...I'm outa here!

Old 05-12-2011, 08:05 AM
Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
If we only had a vodeo on how to do this...

Old 05-12-2011, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

It had to be an oversight that Jaguar left the U-joints off the maintenance schedule. They need lubing about every 10,000. I would check the joints by jacking the car and rotating and wiggling the joints to see if I could detect any movement. The procedure would be to raise the car, one side at a time is fine. Rotate the wheel until the grease fitting of each U-joint is exposed. Clean it off and grease until some grease comes out at each of the four bearing seals. Clean the grease off the joint as best you can and do the other side.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmots
It had to be an oversight that Jaguar left the U-joints off the maintenance schedule. They need lubing about every 10,000. I would check the joints by jacking the car and rotating and wiggling the joints to see if I could detect any movement. The procedure would be to raise the car, one side at a time is fine. Rotate the wheel until the grease fitting of each U-joint is exposed. Clean it off and grease until some grease comes out at each of the four bearing seals. Clean the grease off the joint as best you can and do the other side.
Good advice. The grease fittings are easy to access. With 34,000mi my u-joints had not been serviced and (like tspec60) took 3-4 pumps of grease.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:14 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

This topic came up about a year or so when my “U” joints were replaced. Good to know that everyone is checking them.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Can these u-joints be filled with grease in a 2007 XKR?

Old 05-07-2013, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member

And when you say you joints, are you referring to the CV-joints on the halfshafts? Are CV-joints a type of u-joint?

Old 05-07-2013, 12:55 PM
Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Jags do not have CV joints, only u-joints on halfshafts and driveshaft.

The following users liked this post:
amcdonal86 (05-07-2013)
Old 05-07-2013, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by randyb
Jags do not have CV joints, only u-joints on halfshafts and driveshaft.
This must have changed on the XK for the 2007 model year, because all I can find in the shop manual is CV joints with rubber boots (two on each side). Unless I am mistaken!

I realize I'm not in the right forum for my car, but the 2007+ XK forum has very little on drivetrain issues, probably because they are mostly too new to have experienced any issues!

Old 05-07-2013, 01:58 PM
Received 159 Likes on 113 Posts

amcdonal86,
You are correct, the 2007 and up XK drive shafts are equipped with CV joints, not U joints.
CV joints (Constant Velocity) are just that, the angular velocity does not change (or more accurately it's minor) as the joint angle is increased. CV joints are sealed for life and only need attention if the boot is leaking, or they are worn out.
U joints angular velocity does change as the joints angle is increased. That’s why they are generally used in pairs and timed together, which cancels out the changes. U joints may be sealed for life or greasable.
Regards,
White Bear.

The following users liked this post:
amcdonal86 (05-07-2013)

Quick Reply: "Loose U-Joints"