XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement oil cooler lines

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 08:57 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Cabel
Anyone ever try this? Looks like a great solution for seeping low pressure lines like the oil cooler and power steering:

DIY- Crimped Hose repair/replacement (Power steering, Oil Cooler, auto trans) - R3VLimited Forums
That might be a solution if you already have removed the hoses, for lower pressure fluid lines. I've already purchased the two engine side lines (the left hand, output line has the leak) and as noted, it is incredibly difficult to access that area. Actually, the metal part of the return (passenger side) line turns into the center-line and interferes with access, as further complicated with the torsion bar as mentioned.

My work-space is wet, cold and miserable, and last attempt with a bore-cam from the top was a dismal failure .. I can just barely feel the top of what I expect to be 10mm bolt head .. can't see sheet. Next time under, I'll try to get the cam in from the bottom so I can see what the hey I'm doing, and also bought a Milwaukee (2457-20) 3/8" ratchet .. very diminutive head.

Now I know this may seem like overkill, but I was sure I once had what I thought to be a good purchase on that bolt .. gave some serious effort to the (manual) ratchet, and it slipped off. Once was enough. Mangling the bolt head would result in catastrophic disassembly to access. The TSB allows only 0.7 hours for this replacement task .. I'm long since fired .. LOL. Cheers!

Old 01-19-2017, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by attaboy
it is incredibly difficult to access that area.
I used a mechanic's mirror at a 45 deg angle, while lying under the car (front of the car elevated on ramps). In combination with a shop light, it is possible to see better. Overall, this can be done by feel, there is no need to have perfect sight. Something like this:

You might want to do yourself a favor, and remove the black plastic surround pan. It is under the car, and covers the general area under the radiator and to the sides. It is just a bunch of screws. Once removed, the connections between the sections of oil lines become reachable.

Best of luck, keep us posted.