XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XK 8 Air Conditioning-No cold Air

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy XK 8 Air Conditioning-No cold Air

My air conditioning blows only hot air even when taken to max cool air. The local Jaguar service says that it is the flow box that has flaps that open and close to let hot and cold blow into the car when demanded needs to be replaced. They want $3500 for the part and 11 hours of labor @ $200 an hour!! They say the actuators are working and it is a mechanical problem with the box. I have tried to find some discussion on it with no luck. Part # MJA 6440 AE on a 2002 XK8 Conv. The mechanic calls it a EVAP case. I am not sure what it stands for. I am told that the box is located behind the panel that has the clock in it. Freon and all that kinda stuff checks good. Has anyone had this problem before and what did it take to fix it? Thanks in advance.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

That part number does show a list price of $3500, but I think it includes the A/C evaporator, servos and possibly a bunch of other stuff that you apparently do not need.

I think your best bet is to find a Jaguar independent service shop, have them confirm the diagnosis, and ask them to replace the 'box' with a used one. It still will probably be hours of labor, but at a lower rate, and the part should be MUCH less.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 10-17-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

I came across a similar situation to this, the main dealer said a new evap box was required, the customer brought the XK to me and I got my AC guy down who did a leak test and it was just a leaky drier, cost $75 for the drier $75 for the regas and some labour $300 all in...... He was a happy man he thought it was going to cost him $000s.

I would get an independent to do a leak test regardless of what you have been told..... Good luck

Old 10-19-2011, 07:40 AM
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Blowing hot air

It appears that the proposal to replace the Evap assembly may be somewhat of a "shotgun" approach in an attempt to catch everything. As mentioned by WhiteXKR, the Evap. assembly contains eight components (including heat related components) that can be replaced individually should one of them be at fault. A number of diagnostic codes are associated with the A/C system, which should isolate the problem to a more specific component. What happens when your heater or outside fresh air are operated? Do you get hot air and outside air through the proper vents, because the proposed replacement also addresses the heater core, heater thermostat, and fresh air servo. Beyond the proposed "fix", there is an air conditioning isolate relay that "parks" the servos, after the vehicle is turned off. If your A/C suddenly stopped blowing cold air, I would investigate further for a more simple (less expensive)fix.

The following users liked this post:
striegh1 (10-20-2011)
Old 11-22-2011, 06:16 PM
Default Similar problem

I did not see a conclusion to this and I just had a similar problem. My A/C on 97 XK8 w/23,000 miles stopped suddenly. The compressor clutch is not activating. Pressure at the low pressure port using a cheap guage for adding refrigerant is over 80 psi. with the engine off. Error code on the display was 14, which indicates a water temperature input malfunction, so I assume it is related to the heat and not the source of this problem; at any rate I cleared the code and it has not reappeared. After one day of operatioin and pushing different setting the code display is still 0 indicating no fault present. The control panel appears to operate normally but does seem to hang on releasing AUTO. Any suggestions on what may be the problem?

Old 11-22-2011, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

I would start checking the electrical system if, as you say, the compressor clutch is not engaging. There is a pressure switch in the AC line at the bottom center of the radiator that signals the ECM that there is enough pressure, but not too much. Likely problem point since your equalized pressure is about right. Jump the pressure switch and see if the clutch engages.

Also a AC relay. Most relays are the same, swap a couple.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:05 PM
Smile Fixed its self

My cooling problem seemed to fix its self at least for the time being, I got a evaporator box from a parted put XK8 for $126 instead of the $3500 Jag dealership was asking for. I have not had it installed. So at least for now I think that the problem was electrical instead of mechanically stuck valve like the dealer ship said. I also had AC error codes of 14-24 and something else that I can not remember that I have cleared and have not returned. I go to max cold now and it seems to be pretty cool. It is getting to be winter temps here now and I will probable have to address it next summer. I will post if the situation changes.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:10 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,208 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Try this test procedure and see what you come up with http://www.gusglikas.com/images/Auto...or%20Codes.pdf My XK8 A/C went out of service and it was caused by a failed pressure switch. The diagram on page #4 might help http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa...s/ACSystem.pdf

The following users liked this post:
striegh1 (11-24-2011)
Old 11-25-2011, 12:26 AM

I tried grounding the blue/black wire on the pressure switch, which did not activate the clutch. From there I checked the relay and found it OK but not getting a signal to engage. Following the wire diagram everything seems leading back to the engine conrol module or the A/C control module. The panel still displays 0 for no fault. Do you ahve any other suggestions before trying swapping out control modules?

Old 11-25-2011, 05:29 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Did you swap out your relay? Do that first you could have a bad connection.

Old 11-25-2011, 03:47 PM

Yes, I swapped out the relay, then followed by checking the voltage on the relay hot and output wires.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:18 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I like Gus's page about reading the A/C codes!

Before we had any codes, what would you have done?

If you haven't had a recharge in 5 yrs., just recharge it and see what happens?

Old 11-26-2011, 10:13 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Did you read voltage to the compressor? Link to oneline http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa.../jagxk2003.pdf

Old 11-26-2011, 10:16 PM

Does anyone know the equal pressure position of the switches in the 4 way A/C pressure swicth? I checked the continuity of the switch and found all three circuits to be open. I thought it may be worthwhile to revisit the pressure switch before going further but do no know if any of the three circuits should be open or closed with engine off.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:24 PM

Gus, there was no voltage to the compressor. the relay is not getting a signal to close the circuit.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:15 AM
Received 6,267 Likes on 5,464 Posts

So, no pressure or a bad switch.
Maybe time to hook up some gauges and see what is happening.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:24 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Agree!

Originally Posted by Norri
So, no pressure or a bad switch.
Maybe time to hook up some gauges and see what is happening.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:18 AM

If you recall, I checked pressure first. Engine off pressure is about 90psi. Then grounded the high/low wire on the pressure switch with no change. Swapped relays and checked voltage which indicates the ECM is not receiving a signal from the ACM. However it may still be the pressure switch depending on which circuits should be opened/closed. Since I cannot find that answer I have ordered a new switch. If that does not fix the problem I suspect it is the ACM.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:48 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Many have experienced a bad pressure switch and I feel you need to go back and look at that. What I am having a problem with is who and why you were told the flow box needed repair. Something is preventing the A/C from engaging and the typical cause is fuse, pressure switch, relay and if I recall correctly your coolant fan switch. My A/C went out and it was the A/C pressure switch.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hello, I have a problem with the AC in my 2001 XKR.

I charged with new gas and it worked fine but it seems to be losing gas... on the front right part of the engine there is a little valve that seems to be dripping a bit of bubbly gas when AC is on... anyone know if that could be the reason or if I should replace the evaporator?

Would be really worried to do that sin they would need to disassemble the entire cockpit and make a mess everytime...

Quick Reply: XK 8 Air Conditioning-No cold Air