Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

How to put a train horn without using much space

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 01:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 239 Posts
Default How to put a train horn without using much space

The cool thing with the Wolo Orient Express 844 train horn is that it is designed to be very efficient since it was sold as a kit using a

direct drive compressor. While that is not bad, the train horn with 4 trumpets needs more PSI to really provide a true train horn sound and be much louder. Wolo tech support confirmed that the 844 can handle 90-110 psi so with the addition of a conventional 100% duty air compressor used for train horns and air ride setups and a tiny tank less than 1 gallon will work great, I am using a .7 gallon tank but it could even be smaller and my tank is only 3" round diameter so you can get a tiny tank and finally have a train horn when you have no space for the typical 5+ gallon tanks required for all other train horns.

Here is a video that you should look at that shows my horns in action!

" target="_blank">

Old 03-28-2019, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 239 Posts

FYI,

You can get a custom made tank to your spec with the ports and brackets the way you want at https://dirtyworks-kc.com/products/d...air-steel-tank I recommend them highly! Also there are other premade 2.5" to 3" diameter seemless air tanks but the ports are typically at the ends so for a little more $$ dirty works will put them wherever you want which will help in fitting it in cars with limited space.

Air Horns of Texas can sell you the compressor and all of the lines, valves, etc. https://www.airhornsoftexas.com/coll...ess-compressor

the Wolo 844 train horn kit is still for sale and not that expensive but definitely upgrade the compressor as it will not sound anything like my setup and not really be that loud.
Amazon Amazon

This setup is great as it gives you a loud horn that is not too crazy when you tap the horn button. Then when you really want more just leave it pressed and wow super loud train horn but still not too crazy excessive. I think this is the perfect balance for the street as real train horns are illegal and while this is still likely in that grey area it is not so crazy you are scared to use it.