Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Jaguar X-Type + $1,500 Budget

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar X-Type + $1,500 Budget

Hey guys. As the title says, I have a 2003 Jaguar X-Type and roughly a $1,500 budget to go to town on my sound system. Here's what I'm thinking:

-Aftermarket head-unit with auxiliary iPod capability (high quality music = must).
-4 new speakers.
-5-channel amplifier.
-Dual 12" subwoofers..
-a capacitor (if necessary).

Here's what I'm thinking:
Amplifier: Hifonics ZXi60.4 + 1K 5-channel.
Speakers: MB Quart PVI 216's (6.5").
Sub: Dual Rockford Fosgate Punch P2's.
Head-Unit: No clue. Thinking a Jensen 6.5 Flatscreen but I don't have much use for it. All I really need is an auxiliary port for connecting to my iPod.
Capacitor: Is this necessary?

I've had a bad experience trying to mix and match a mono amp with a sub in the past (50-150 rms sub with a 200 rms amp, both at 4 ohms = bad for business). What are your thoughts?

Thanks a ton. I appreciate it.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:05 AM

I won't be much help here, but I really do not like aftermarket stereos in the dash. They aren't positioned right and look out of place. My plan is to fabricate a custom single din bracket to fit into the ashtray area and hide a head unit in there. I'll have to remove the ashdray "door", and find a better way to "mount" it (perhaps magnetically?) so I can cover it up when I want. I plan on using a class T amp to drive the front and rear seat speakers, and then put a custom box (not sure if it will be sealed or ported yet) in the spare wheel well for the sub (I'm thinking I'll cut a bunch of MDF rings the same size as the spare wheel and make a large "hat box" enclosure. The spare wheel will go in my garage, and fix-a-flat will have a permanent spot in the trunk. The sub will be driven with a regular class d amp (lots of wattage).

Old 05-25-2010, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by rstallard
I won't be much help here, but I really do not like aftermarket stereos in the dash. They aren't positioned right and look out of place. My plan is to fabricate a custom single din bracket to fit into the ashtray area and hide a head unit in there. I'll have to remove the ashdray "door", and find a better way to "mount" it (perhaps magnetically?) so I can cover it up when I want. I plan on using a class T amp to drive the front and rear seat speakers, and then put a custom box (not sure if it will be sealed or ported yet) in the spare wheel well for the sub (I'm thinking I'll cut a bunch of MDF rings the same size as the spare wheel and make a large "hat box" enclosure. The spare wheel will go in my garage, and fix-a-flat will have a permanent spot in the trunk. The sub will be driven with a regular class d amp (lots of wattage).
I see what you mean however I've seen some decent looking upgrades to the dash with a double din. They were all touch screen nav units and dvd-compatible including bluetooth and satellite radio. I, on the other hand, have no use for those really. The headunit I found from Sony is excellent for use with an iPod - It's got an auxiliary and a USB port on the front of the unit. With this, you can charge the iPod and play from it in conjunction. You can either use the iPod to choose songs or you can maneuver your iPod via the headunit. It's the Sony CDX-gt740ui, take a look:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-CDX-GT740...4817470&sr=8-1

I'm not fluent with all this car audio shenanigans so I'm not exactly sure of the procedures for installing this if I were to do it myself. After checking out crutchfield.com and installer.com, it appears that I need the Single Fascia Din and some kind of wire harness. Maybe some other cables for the steering control interface such that my steering wheel controls work with the new head-unit?

I'm a little confused. I could use a clue.

Another issue I have is that I've already had a mono-amp and sub installed in my trunk. I have an RCA line converter behind the stock headunit and I'm aware that some of the wires behind the dash were soldered together. Is this going to come back to haunt me?

Thanks a lot.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

This site has all the misc crap needed for either a double DIN or single installation.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com