Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Multimedia in car: WDTv Live Hub or TronSmart Draco?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 11:52 PM
Received 150 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Multimedia in car: WDTv Live Hub or TronSmart Draco?

I'm about to install a GVIF unit in my XJ8, & will be putting either
or
in there; I'm an Android fanatic, but I love the WD interface, & the 1tb Hard drive; BUT, if I can mirror my phone, or just put Flixster on the Draco, I wouldn't need drive space because all my Blu-ray movies are on my Flixster acct; so???

What do you guys think?..

Old 03-06-2015, 06:11 PM
Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

I'm not worthy enough to comment, but you are a genius when it comes to this stuff. I'm trying to read through your other thread to see about putting in the Mimics2 to mirror my Android phone to the Nav unit. I sent you a PM, btw

Old 03-07-2015, 05:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 465 Posts

You cant use the GVIF interfaces. MAke sure you get an RGBS one

Cheers
34by151

Old 03-07-2015, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by 34by151
You cant use the GVIF interfaces. MAke sure you get an RGBS one

Cheers
34by151
Yeah I'm really trying to debate between the interface you have & the Navtool; I'm only going to have 1 extra unit besides the camera, so it's looking more like the Navtool for me, only because I'm not sure about the wiring diagram for the RGB interface you have; like I said in one of the other threads, I've looked over your diagram for over a week now, as well as one that Car Solutions sent me for the Universal interface, & I just don't quite understand it just being honest; however, the Navtool I do; & keep in mind, I just recently installed a reverse camera & GVIF in my Range Rover Sport flawlessly, so I'm not totally clueless on it; I'm just not 100% sure on the Universal video interface, BUT I LOVE the price on it!..

Old 03-08-2015, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 465 Posts

Both install the same way
You need to cut the R,G,B and Sync wires behind the Nav interface.

I chose to put these on a plug and use the socket on the harness so I can reconnect it as per OEM. I then used another set of plug/sockets to go to the interface

This allows me to bypass and or remove the unit

If you PM me your email ill send you the pinout for the back of the nav interface

PS Initally I was looking at the WDTV Live hub for my multimedia. I have 4 of them at home and they work great

I settled on installing and Android box because I also get Nav, Web, Email and Torque plus any other apps I may need

I also don't need a remote to control it as it has a touchscreen input that I interfaced to the OEM screen using a touch overlay. This also does not interfere with the OEM touch control

Cheers
34by151

Old 03-08-2015, 06:27 PM
Default email address...

You have no idea how much I appreciate you even wanting to help out; I'm that type person, but everyone on forums aren't so 'giving'.

My email is Marquewalker@gmail.com

I'm going to go with the Tronsmart being I want the Android apps. You can basically download the same apps that you have on the phone literally, being it has 32g of ROM. I'll use my phone to control it remotely...

Old 03-13-2015, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 386 Likes on 284 Posts
Old 03-13-2015, 11:47 PM

Mannnn Dennis, you're making it hard! I'm an Android fan though! Rite now, I've pretty much made up my mind, but just trying to figure out what I'm gonna do about Data/Wi-Fi in the car...

Dennis, is that player though the WDtv hub as well as the Mirroring?..

Last edited by Marque; 03-13-2015 at 11:53 PM.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 386 Likes on 284 Posts

what i found out when installing the wdtv it had built in screen mirroring so i was happy as can be,if i want to mirror with my samsung galaxy s5 i dont have to even plug anything in,it will screen mirror wirrelessly,then if i want to use youtube i set up for hot spot tetthring ,very easy
also you can go to walmart and buy this for internet on the go and leave it in your car

i used minix x8 which worked also but draco would be a better choice if you want android
i went back to wdtv for the ease
i would go for a 2013 wdtv that one has netflix and its only $50 and you get screen mirroring

The following users liked this post:
Marque (03-14-2015)
Old 03-14-2015, 01:47 PM

Thanks Dennis! I'll probably check that box out then. I'm definitely going with the Draco; I have a Range Rover Sport also, & I have a Kivic One in there along with a Blu-ray player. The Kivic One is a Airplay/Miracast box powered by USB & works flawlessly as well; I don't think it'd be great on the car, only because of how it's powered but I love it. The Draco does Miracast, so I'll be fine there, & now with this Wi-Fi box you just showed me, that's the missing link!

The Draco also has the Kodi player as well, & I have a ton of hard drives, so I can hook one straight to it for movie storage etc...

I know this is the Jaguar forum, but here's the Kivic One in action on my truck. (The video is long, so you can skip thru it)

Kivic One/GVIF & Reverse Cam in Range Rover Sport:

Old 04-11-2015, 01:05 AM

Well I didn't quite go with either of these, but I'm happy with what I got!..

Old 05-18-2015, 08:57 PM
Default Finally put the tronsmart in...

So, after having the Tronsmart Draco telos (4g RAM/32g ROM/ OCTA-CORE Processor) box for a few weeks now, I finally replaced the CS918 with it; reason it took so long was, it wouldn't work with a regular AV cable like the 1st box, which I sorta thought it wouldn't, but I didn't go with my 1st mind; so, again, NOT going with my 1st or 2nd mind, I ordered an HDMI to AV cable (not converter) which didn't work either.

So I then ordered an HDMI to AV converter box, which is what I should've done in the 1st place. Works like a charm, up-converting the signal, so it really looks good. The MAIN reason for me replacing it too, is because the CS918 boxes has to be physically turned on, meaning I'd always have to open the Glove box & hit the button to power it on; the Tronsmart automatically cuts on with the car power, which to me is a huge plus!!!

For a wireless remote control mouse, I use a,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, SAMSUNG GALAXY S2 that I had laying around; I have HOTSPOT on my Galaxy Note 3, & have an app on it called "Tasker" which basically allows you to create ANY type macro you can think of; in the car, I have it set to where, when the Jaguar ignition is turned on, & the Jaguar Bluetooth is connected to my Note 3, it then activates the Wi-Fi to cut off, & then cuts the HOTSPOT on; I have the "Google tv remote app" on the Galaxy S2, so it links right up to the Tronsmart (both connected to internet via my rooted Galaxy Note 3) & sound from Tronsmart connects to the ISFM Tranzit Blu Bluetooth module, & there you have it!..

EVERYTHING works great on it. KODI, which actually I rarely find myself using it, but it's great; I also have a 64g SD card connected to it; I went to Atl this past weekend (from Memphis)

I was able to watch the whole "House of Cards" series via Netflix (well, all but 2 eps)

I have velcro on the top side of it, so that it's out of the way if I ever needed to put something in the Glove box. & since I don't have to physically power it on, it's fine there!..

Old 11-09-2015, 12:21 AM

I posted a video as well as the items I bought to get the touchscreen working in my thread...