Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Who wants a 14" nav screen with HDMI input

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 01:28 PM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Who wants a 14" nav screen with HDMI input

Yeah, just kidding. It's not really practical, but fun project anyway.
https://goo.gl/photos/ZugrMsSthJ9C8xXR9

Old 11-29-2015, 12:10 PM

Now shrunk to a more reasonable 7" display size. Hopefully this would fit in the factory display unit. The screen is 1280x800 with analog and HDMI input. I used the VGA input for the nav video signal.

Compared to the stock unit there is a slight improvement in the horizontal resolution 692x232 compared to 480x232 in the stock screen, not a huge leap in image quality.

However with phone screen mirroring it should be quite gorgeous.

https://goo.gl/photos/U8hS5YpeFzRJHW2Q9

Old 12-01-2015, 08:42 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Venelin,

you should work on a Nav system upgrade. something like a Tom Tom adapter so you can plug in a GPS and have it display on the center console monitor...if you what another project

Old 12-05-2015, 08:22 AM
Received 150 Likes on 120 Posts

That's looks pretty sweet Ven!..

Old 12-08-2015, 12:11 PM
Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

So the idea is to replace the screen unit with yours, but keep all the built-in UI stuff (like climate control etc)? And gain HDMI input and phone screen mirroring? Add in the touch membrane, and you'd have the ultimate upgrade!

I'm in. Let me know if you need a beta tester. ;-)

Old 12-08-2015, 12:15 PM

Yep, that is the idea. You'll gain HDMI + 2 composite inputs (and much better screen).

Old 12-08-2015, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by veffremov
Yep, that is the idea. You'll gain HDMI + 2 composite inputs (and much better screen).
All I wanna know is "when!!!"

Old 12-13-2015, 01:53 PM

some setback, unfortunately the new screen would not fit in place of the old one - it is a tad longer and the tolerances are very tight.

There is a pesky LED touch controller assembly which fits within a millimeter from the screen. I don't know how you guys managed to fit a touch membrane on the screen everything is so tight.

So the old plan was to replace the screen and the LCD controller board with my new board and new screen; just connect the analog RGB signals and power to the new board.

The new plan is to remove the whole LED touch controller and replace it with a new touch membrane (hopefully I can find a capacitive membrane that can do multi-touch) and emulate the old LED controller interface. This could keep me busy for a while.

Old 12-13-2015, 07:19 PM

Keep us posted (as I know you will). If this works out, I'll definitely be gettin this, as that's exactly what I need along with my TronSmart 4k TV box that I have in the car!..

Old 12-14-2015, 07:32 PM
Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

Wow; I have missed this thread.

Another great idea!

Thanks-
mag

Old 12-19-2015, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 386 Likes on 284 Posts

i was able to do it took out the stock lcd and put a 1280x720 hd screen the quality is notacible compared to factory but you can still use stock not a deal breaker,

here what it looks like my camera going in and out of focus at night

better focus

Last edited by dennis black; 12-19-2015 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-20-2015, 12:20 AM

What LCD panel did you use? I'm trying N070ICG-LD1, but it is a bit too high and I have to remove the stock touch controls, which is PITA.

Old 01-17-2016, 05:26 PM
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Hi veffremov, I've previously been looking at the lcd control board you have pictured in your first post and was wondering whether it would be compatible with the OEM video signals.
Are you feeding the RGBS signals directly from the output of the dvd nav into the VGA port of the controller? Did you have to split the composite sync into H & V or does it accept composite sync directly?

I've been wondering whether any of the cheap 7" panels as found on eBay would fit as a replacement into the head unit, but sounds like it's very tight tolerance and might need a specific type of panel to fit. I've not yet seen any evidence of anyone actually replacing the standard lcd with a higher resolution panel but that's what I would like to try if the right panel type can be found that fits.

Ben

Old 01-18-2016, 02:57 PM

You can feed the rgb+s into the vga, no need to split the sync. The sync goes where the horizontal sync would be on the vga.

The issue is that most vga controllers would not recognize the signal as one of the standard vga modes and refuse to display it. I had to modify the LCD controller firmware to make it work.

Most 7" panels are slightly too tall for the job, hence my question to Dennis, what panel did he use.

The following users liked this post:
benwillcox (01-18-2016)
Old 01-18-2016, 03:01 PM

Most 7" panels are slightly too tall for the job, hence my question to Dennis, what panel did he use.
Dennis is a genius @this stuff, but to a mute point, because, & I've actually said this in a couple of HIS threads, you'll NEVER get an answer from that guy. Seems he just like us to "see" what he has, but not have it...

Old 01-18-2016, 05:11 PM

You can feed the rgb+s into the vga, no need to split the sync. The sync goes where the horizontal sync would be on the vga.

The issue is that most vga controllers would not recognize the signal as one of the standard vga modes and refuse to display it. I had to modify the LCD controller firmware to make it work.

Ah that is good to know about the sync, thanks for the info, makes things a bit easier! I had been wondering about the resolution and whether the controller would accept the slightly unusual widescreen resolution of 800x480 (I believe this is what the OEM signal resolution is?). Do you have any details of the firmware modification you did to make it work, is it something that I might be able to load onto the controller myself? I'm looking at something like this: 7 inch LCD Screen Display Touch Panel HDMI VGA Controller Kit for Raspberry Pi | eBay which appears to be the same controller (and available from various other sellers).
The other thing I was wondering about this specific controller is how easy it is to switch inputs? I was hoping it would be possible to use the HDMI input from an android tablet, and the VGA input from the OEM RGBS feed and switch between the two easily without having to navigate menus or cycle through multiple inputs. Do you know if it's possible to use an external 'input select' line to directly select each input? Ideally wanting to trigger the input select from a separate microcontroller to activate HDMI when NAV is pressed and RGBS when TEL/AUDIO/CLIMATE is pressed.
The other difficulty sounds like getting a screen with the right dimensions to fit. I don't suppose you have any photos of the head unit without the bezel so the panel is visible, or the OEM panel dimensions?

Originally Posted by Marque
Dennis is a genius @this stuff, but to a mute point, because, & I've actually said this in a couple of HIS threads, you'll NEVER get an answer from that guy. Seems he just like us to "see" what he has, but not have it...
I'm glad someone else has also noticed this! There seems to be many posts with many Youtube videos of the so called 'screen upgrade', but I have to say I don't actually believe that he's upgraded the LCD panel at all but just used a Navtool with the OEM screen. Glad to be proved wrong though!

Ben

Old 01-19-2016, 02:52 PM

The OEM screen is 480x232 pixels - it was probably top of the line back in 2001 when it was engineered ;-)

The RGB signal is regular NTSC (15kHz dot clock). The screen just stretches it horizontally.

I use the same controller, it is known as PCB800099. You can check my github project how to program the firmware: https://github.com/ghent360/RTD-2660-Programmer

The keyboard, it comes with, has a button that switches the inputs or you can use the IR remote.

The OEM screen is 167.05x102mm - there is only 1-2mm clearance around it. The screen active area is 154.1x87mm

Old 01-23-2016, 10:45 AM

Thanks for the info, you clearly know your stuff and its great that you are willing to share your firmware modification, many thanks!

I found this LCD panel: LCD Screen Panel Display For 7 Inch Tablet 50 pin 7300101466 E231732 | eBay which is only 1mm taller, but it is not quite as wide. Difficult to know whether the active screen area would still remain within the bezel as they don't show this dimension.
Do you think that the extra 1mm would prevent it from fitting or could it be squeezed in there?

Actually, searching that part number has brought up this: Aliexpress.com : Buy 7 inch tablet lcd screen 50 pin 7300101466 E231732 lcd display screen from Reliable screen international suppliers on DongYuDa trade co., LTD | Alibaba Group
which shows the dimensions as 165x100mm, and does detail the active screen dimensions as 157.5x89.5mm.
If these dimensions are correct then it appears it might fit, but as it's the same model as the ebay one but with different dimensions who knows which is correct!

Ben

Old 01-23-2016, 03:36 PM

Yes it is a bit of a mystery panel. One place had the vertical size at 97mm, go figure. It's not very high resolution though 800x480.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 386 Likes on 284 Posts

well i was trying to do a write up for you guy its not that easy just posting information then you guys do it and burn your set up , it takes time ive made mistakes and learned from them i dont want you guys to go throught what i went through, i finally figured it out ,just got to do a good write so anyone can do it without damaging there unit,you have to install an inverter and a few odds and ends

screens are same size the new one is 1280x800 ,im trying a few other screens also for comparison,resitive and capacitive,i find capacitive has more funcions like pinch to zoom,
when you see the youtube videos there all test untill im satisfied with its functions

heres a few set ups

im also working on my 2010 lexus gs350 set up

Last edited by dennis black; 01-24-2016 at 09:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Who wants a 14" nav screen with HDMI input