Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

XK8 Deck Replacement, NAV & New Subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 11:57 AM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I really like your solution in upgrading the Audio/Nav system. I have a 2003 XKR with 24K miles and plan on doing an incremental upgrade starting with the Navigation system.
Have already purchased the Garmin GVN 53 unit and located a wiring diagram for the RGB harness.
In reviewing the Jag wiring diagram for the Navigation display module, I find several unidentified wires, three from the Navigator Control Module (pins FC98-11, 14, 15) and three from the Radio/Cassette Head Unit (pins FC97-9, 7, 10), do you have any information that identifies their function. I would like to avoid using a scope in attempting their identification assuming my old scope still works.
My plan is to intercept the circuits at the IC3 connector located below the center console glove box and keep the installation inside the car with the GVN 53 under the passenger seat.
Thanks for any help or suggestions.
BobF

Old 03-28-2010, 01:35 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Sounds like a good plan Bob, but as for the identification of those leads, I'm afraid I can't help you.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:21 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll try and identify(guess) the circuits with an Oscope.
Three questions:
1. Part number of OEM Radio/Cassette Deck
2. does the Nav display require a sych for RGB. Did the installers add a fourth wire to the RGB.
3. IC3 connector part number/other identification. I would like to make an adapter to avoid cutting wires. Using new connectors I would build and insert an adapter containing the new RGB plus the other wires between the existing connectors.

Thanks for any help
BobF

Old 03-29-2010, 06:02 PM
Veteran member

I can help with #1. The other two, no idea at all.

Attached Thumbnails XK8 Deck Replacement, NAV & New Subwoofer-center-console.jpg  
Old 05-17-2010, 09:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

H20 boy, what solution did you find utilizing the factory steering wheel controls with your aftermarket deck install ?

Old 05-17-2010, 09:18 PM

H20boy,I have a 2001 XK8 am considering a total aftemarket install. I live in Dallas so I might ask for your referral to a shop in Dallas/FW area that can do the dash install/faceplate fabrication such as yours. I am considering going with an Alpine or Nakamichi head unit. I also would like to utilize the factory steeering wheel controls, but so far have not been able to find an adapter for a 2001 XK8. Is the shop you used for your install still in business ?

Old 05-18-2010, 08:32 AM
Veteran member

Magnet, if you ever want to meetup to see the system in person, please let me know, I'm sure we could arrange something.

My shop is still in business, Woody's on Camp Bowie in Ft Worth. The only thing they can't do for you, if you choose to try the Rockford Fosgate 360 signal processor, they have no idea how to program it. Crank It Up in N Richland Hills is an expert on those units.

I recommend woody's highly for the install, audio and the video integration they did for me. They work on all the cars from Autobahn so have alot of experience on porsche, these jags, volvos, and the BMWs from that dealership.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:22 PM

Thanks man. I really appreciate that. I'm considering several options rightr now. I'm sure I'll be calling on your expertise....

Old 06-08-2010, 12:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a 2002 XKR 100 and sold my MINI Cooper S. This is my third Jaguar, so I prepared myself for the worst...the loss of my really cool sound system in my MINI!

After reading this thread, I think I have a bit more hope (and I'm glad to have it!) My goal is to bring back my ability to have both XM (or Sirius) and Bluetooth. Beyond that, I really don't need it (and wouldn't use it!)

I like the idea of the Garmin GVN53 and integrating that into the factory navigation system. Overall, I like the idea that h20boy had with his XKR, but I don't need the ability to play DVDs or the ability to store any data on my head unit.

Based on what I'm trying to do, does anyone have any suggestions? I think he GVN53 is the way to go for updating the navigation system, but don't know about getting the XM and Bluetooth. Can any head unit be used, and mounted like the one that h20boy did? I'm educated on car stereo systems enough to be dangerous...and know my installing abilities and limitations.

I appreciate any help!

Dave

Old 06-08-2010, 01:36 PM
Veteran member

Good news Dave, the Garmn GVN has XM capability, that software is built in. I don't know what else you would need, maybe just the subscription and an XM antannae! Look at PG 22 of the manual here.

Now bluetooth, not sure there. You may be stuck going with a Parrot BT device, something I assume you can do both audio streaming and/mobile phone integration?

Old 06-08-2010, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by h20boy
Good news Dave, the Garmn GVN has XM capability, that software is built in. I don't know what else you would need, maybe just the subscription and an XM antannae! Look at PG 22 of the manual here.

Now bluetooth, not sure there. You may be stuck going with a Parrot BT device, something I assume you can do both audio streaming and/mobile phone integration?

Hmmm...not sure if I could survive without my Bluetooth... guess I might just have to wear a BT headset...what difficulties in life!

The Garmin might just fit the bill and not even require too much adjustment of the car. Pretty cool! Where did you stick your GVN? Is there room behind the dash? My guess is that it should be easy enough to install...and with new speakers (maybe an amp)...I'll have a decent (okay, not super) system in the car. Cool!

Thanks for the help!

Dave

Old 06-08-2010, 02:17 PM
Veteran member

If I were to do it, even w/o the amp addition, I'd still install it in the trunk, so you can upload new maps via a SD card w/ ease.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:31 PM

If I were to do it, even w/o the amp addition, I'd still install it in the trunk, so you can upload new maps via a SD card w/ ease.
Dumb question, but do you know if it comes with sufficient cabling to make the run from trunk to dash?

Dave

Old 06-08-2010, 08:14 PM
Veteran member

Not dumb at all, and the answer is no. The Garmin puts out a video out signal via the RCA output, one lead out. You will need to do a conversion from that signal, to RGB...thats why the NavTV box works well, does that for you, and allows two signals to be fed into it, leading out the screen.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:17 PM

Not dumb at all, and the answer is no. The Garmin puts out a video out signal via the RCA output, one lead out. You will need to do a conversion from that signal, to RGB...thats why the NavTV box works well, does that for you, and allows two signals to be fed into it, leading out the screen.
Aha! That makes sense now. Very cool.

I sent an e-mail to my local professional auto sound shop. They don't carry Garmin (normally) but I'd like to see if they can make an exception in this case and do the whole install at once. Otherwise, I'm sure I could figure it out...but not sure if it would be worth the headache for me in trying to figure it out!

I'll keep you posted with how it progresses!

Dave

Old 06-09-2010, 08:08 AM
Veteran member

Even if they can't get the Garmin, most shops will not have any problem installing a customer's parts/products, they just won't 'warranty' the item, only the install.

I saved a ton on buying my amp, sub, head unit, steering wheel controls, and garmin unit myself. Worth considering, when the savings can be in the hundreds.

---

added: The GVN 53 online is about $420, the XM antenna is $190, ouch!

Last edited by H20boy; 06-09-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:22 AM

Even if they can't get the Garmin, most shops will not have any problem installing a customer's parts/products, they just won't 'warranty' the item, only the install.

I saved a ton on buying my amp, sub, head unit, steering wheel controls, and garmin unit myself. Worth considering, when the savings can be in the hundreds.

---

added: The GVN 53 online is about $420, the XM antenna is $190, ouch!
Hopefully they'll roll like that. I did notice that the GVN runs in the $400 range...pretty pricey for a GPS! BUT...a lot cheaper than buying a 2007 DVD that's out of date...

Depending on what they come back with, I might consider changing out the tape deck anyway with a new head unit. The tape deck is pretty much useless in my book. I don't even think I own any audio tapes anymore! But, I have to watch the $ though and not get too carried away too quickly...have to add an alarm as well and new speakers...one thing at a time!

Old 08-09-2010, 10:53 PM
Veteran member

mine is not a kit, its custom made, just takes a little carpentry and some color matching to do it correctly. The wiring harness adapter can be had from a UK company. I haven't found or heard of any kits for these XK8/Rs. Sorry.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:51 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey H20boy quick question after you changed your deck exactly what did you do to get the factory nav screen able to be used I took the plunge and replaced the headunit with a pioneer navigation unit and now I want to link the video signals to the original nav screen If you could tell me what exactly I need like do I need to put power to it and the video leads? or is that what the nav tv box will do????

Quick Reply: XK8 Deck Replacement, NAV & New Subwoofer