Jag Auto Electrician

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 03:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jag Auto Electrician

Hey Can anyone recommend a Jag auto electrician in the Ryde area and for the matter a mechanic.
The passenger side window has gone down and isn't coming up.

l have a good mechanic in Liechardt but there's ongoing problems with the repairs he's done on the Jag.

Steven

Old 01-02-2014, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Verrry interesting Accounts2000 ...

As you can see from my sig, I hail from mid north coast of NSW these days, so you may prefer to wait for better advice from the city dwellers. My first reaction was based on the fact that North Ryde is the home of Jaguar Aust head offices. How cheeky do you feel about contacting them direct?

Perhaps useful is the good old Google Aus "Jaguar, Ryde" etc. Patchy result, but shows a few independents. If you are prepared to caste broader afield, I have heard solid recommendations for Leaver Jaguar at Artarmon, but no personal experience.

I have always tended to do my own thing, but I agree that modern Jags electrics and data bus systems often need sound expertise to back up your workshop manual wiring diagrams etc.

I am in process of purchasing a 2007/8 S-Type and this ability to locate mechanical and auto-elec services is my single greatest concern - not enough to stop me buying yet another beautiful Jag - but just enough to worry.

Please post to let us know how you go. Seems activity here is very quiet at the moment, but hopefully, others will chime in with recommendations.

Perhaps we should ask Dave, dstarry, about the merits of starting a new thread for each major Aus/NZ capital on this subject, Sydney metro could be the obvious starter.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by cat_as_trophy
Verrry interesting Accounts2000 ...

As you can see from my sig, I hail from mid north coast of NSW these days, so you may prefer to wait for better advice from the city dwellers. My first reaction was based on the fact that North Ryde is the home of Jaguar Aust head offices. How cheeky do you feel about contacting them direct?

Perhaps useful is the good old Google Aus "Jaguar, Ryde" etc. Patchy result, but shows a few independents. If you are prepared to caste broader afield, I have heard solid recommendations for Leaver Jaguar at Artarmon, but no personal experience.

I have always tended to do my own thing, but I agree that modern Jags electrics and data bus systems often need sound expertise to back up your workshop manual wiring diagrams etc.

I am in process of purchasing a 2007/8 S-Type and this ability to locate mechanical and auto-elec services is my single greatest concern - not enough to stop me buying yet another beautiful Jag - but just enough to worry.

Please post to let us know how you go. Seems activity here is very quiet at the moment, but hopefully, others will chime in with recommendations.

Perhaps we should ask Dave, dstarry, about the merits of starting a new thread for each major Aus/NZ capital on this subject, Sydney metro could be the obvious starter.
Hi there Cat as Trophy,
l ended up going down the road to Tibby Rose on Victoria rd ,Ryde out of sheer and utter dread of finding myself stranded in some far away suburb. The bloke managed to get the window up for the weekend and placed the interior of the door in the back. At least l could walk home and back. l hadn't thought about contacting head office. You wouldn't believe this car,it had 36 k on it,was driven by a little old lady estate agent and the bloody drivers side window went last year and two days before Christmas the passenger side door went... l mean...the bloody passenger windows never been used...
l'd better get this post of now or l'm going to annoy every body ,do you know how to do that?
You will never regret your decision to buy the glorious s-type, it by far and away possesses the spirit of aristocracy and deep class to a far greater extent than the modern models. l had one following me through Hunters Hill the other day and was drooling by the time it turned off. In the previous week l stood and watched a champagne gold s-type leisurely making it's way through Mosman just to make sure it wasn't the majesty of the thing wasn't all in my head. Thanks for your advice.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Accounts2000,

Oh dear; oh dear. It sounds like you have been infected also - your description of drooling at the passing champagne gold S-Type brought a smile. Let me make your day by pointing out there is a similar one (2005 Upgrade) listed on carsales.com.au for $15,900 but with hefty mileage.

Do I know how to post? ... or do I know how to annoy everybody?

Thanks for your kind wishes about our protracted S-Type purchase. It has been very difficult to track down one of the last production models, with all the Luxury fit-out and preferred colour etc, but the effort will be worth it. Glad to hear you were able to locate help nearby. I remember both Victoria Road and of course Parramatta Road were both good sources of very clued up independents. I have thought long and hard about posting/editing a new thread about growing a list of "accepted and preferred" service people that members can feel comfortable recommending. I think it's a good move that can only benefit all of us.

Finally, can I invite you to pen your make/model etc into your signature, and post some pics of your beastie. You aren't the only seriously infected Jaguar drooler, y'know. It helps to share the love around!

Happy driving, and best wishes for the New Year,
Ken

Old 01-05-2014, 03:11 AM

Hi Accounts2000,

Oh dear; oh dear. It sounds like you have been infected also - your description of drooling at the passing champagne gold S-Type brought a smile. Let me make your day by pointing out there is a similar one (2005 Upgrade) listed on carsales.com.au for $15,900 but with hefty mileage.

Do I know how to post? ... or do I know how to annoy everybody?

Thanks for your kind wishes about our protracted S-Type purchase. It has been very difficult to track down one of the last production models, with all the Luxury fit-out and preferred colour etc, but the effort will be worth it. Glad to hear you were able to locate help nearby. I remember both Victoria Road and of course Parramatta Road were both good sources of very clued up independents. I have thought long and hard about posting/editing a new thread about growing a list of "accepted and preferred" service people that members can feel comfortable recommending. I think it's a good move that can only benefit all of us.

Finally, can I invite you to pen your make/model etc into your signature, and post some pics of your beastie. You aren't the only seriously infected Jaguar drooler, y'know. It helps to share the love around!

Happy driving, and best wishes for the New Year,
Ken
Is that an optical illusion or is it an actual Jag towing a caravan?

Old 01-05-2014, 02:59 PM
Veteran Member

Oh dear ... Now I be showin me age. It was 1970/1; outside the inlaws at Katoomba and all packed for a holiday at South West Rocks.

My first Jag, not long after total rebuild to shed weight and push even more performance. In those days I did several thousand miles per month visiting hospitals all through the Blue Mountains, this car gained quite a rep.

With help from Lithgow Speed Shop and Small Arms Factory the old 2.4 became a fire breathing 3L with custom pistons running 10:1, fully ported and polished Gold Top head with lumpy S cams and modded engine bay to fit the brace of SU carbies. Custom extractors and twin straight thru exhaust gave a pretty wicked roar. Ah, the tunes I could play on that electric O/D dash rim switch ...

Towing that 1 ton brick in the photo was, in a word - subdued! But never beaten. This later pic at SW Rocks, shows the (out of focus) Brit number plate hiding under my NSW personals and the afterburner pipes under the rear... oh, and also, my nav and lifelong co-pilot with our first born son who is now in mid forties.

We built a second 3Litre later that year. Fuel injected @ 10.5:1, it went into a Jag special - a space frame a la Chapman that ruled the Forty Bends Hill Climbs at Lithgow for 2 years, but weight of that XK was always a drag.

Enough ... How are you progressing with yours?

Attached Thumbnails Jag Auto Electrician-2.4-mk1-1971.02.jpg  
Old 01-06-2014, 03:39 AM

Oh dear ... Now I be showin me age. It was 1970/1; outside the inlaws at Katoomba and all packed for a holiday at South West Rocks.

My first Jag, not long after total rebuild to shed weight and push even more performance. In those days I did several thousand miles per month visiting hospitals all through the Blue Mountains, this car gained quite a rep.

With help from Lithgow Speed Shop and Small Arms Factory the old 2.4 became a fire breathing 3L with custom pistons running 10:1, fully ported and polished Gold Top head with lumpy S cams and modded engine bay to fit the brace of SU carbies. Custom extractors and twin straight thru exhaust gave a pretty wicked roar. Ah, the tunes I could play on that electric O/D dash rim switch ...

Towing that 1 ton brick in the photo was, in a word - subdued! But never beaten. This later pic at SW Rocks, shows the (out of focus) Brit number plate hiding under my NSW personals and the afterburner pipes under the rear... oh, and also, my nav and lifelong co-pilot with our first born son who is now in mid forties.

We built a second 3Litre later that year. Fuel injected @ 10.5:1, it went into a Jag special - a space frame a la Chapman that ruled the Forty Bends Hill Climbs at Lithgow for 2 years, but weight of that XK was always a drag.

Enough ... How are you progressing with yours?
Hi Ken,
You've got a great family there.
l'm just waiting on a call from Tibby Rose,the auto electrician down the road (Victoria rd, Ryde). He's quoted me 750 for a the window problem,l will post when l know exactly what it is. l don't take much in when these guys are talking, just write checks!
l don't have undercover parking the moment in this old unit l plan to gut and referb, the Jag sitting outside drives me up the wall!
Regards Steven

Old 01-06-2014, 05:45 AM
Veteran Member

Hi again Steven,

Thanks for your kind comments. On the other end of the stick, this pic is recent - saying goodbye to our beloved 4.2L Series1 E-Type, over the new owner's promises that our daughter could take it for a drive once fully restored and rebuilt. She was unborn but a glint in the eye during our SW Rocks holiday, but spent many an adventure with us during our E-Type and Daimler V12 VDP years.

Have you thought any more about we start a thread here to help new members locate Jag and independent mechanics etc in their many locations around Aust and NZ. Goes further than your original post but, in time, might be edited into perhaps one of the most valuable threads for members here.

Anyone else want to chime in on this? Good idea? No? What say, Dave. I am happy to push the ball along, but only if sufficient support in either Oz or NZ.

Attached Thumbnails Jag Auto Electrician-4.2l-s1-e-type.jpg