Anyone help with repair estimate?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 12:09 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Anyone help with repair estimate?

Greetings to all reading this

I have a 1988 XJS convertible.
There is a fairly significant coolant leak that appears to be coming from the water pump/engine interface.
Has anyone here had their water pump replaced on one of these before and what do members think is the "right price" to replace the leaky water pump
ie how long should it take
Redgear

Old 04-07-2017, 12:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Haven't had it done as I don't have an XJ6 motor. But, given RRP type part prices and workshop prices in Oz (not to mention the outstanding serviceability and access provided in the standard engine bay) I would be surprised if you got out of it for much less than $500-$700. Maybe more once you get into the while your in there stuff like new hoses, new belts and a radiator flush)

Grant, our resident V12 guru may have better wisdom if he comes along.

You could probably get a reasonable quote for an "all going well" install from Ratcliffes in Ringwood. They are both good and honest.

Last edited by yarpos; 04-07-2017 at 01:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
redgear (04-07-2017)
Old 04-07-2017, 06:34 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Spoke to Herb today and scheduled to go in on Tuesday night for an initial look and the operation of it turns out that is what is required.

Herb suggested it is a big job, bonnet off - front fan off, radiator out, belts off - It could be up to 8 hours for remove and refits plus the cost of the water pump -\

Anyon else got any additional information?

Thanks again in advance fro everyone's contribution

Old 04-13-2017, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Hello redgear.
Sorry I have only now stumbled over your post . . . try to do the rounds of the regions from time to time but your question also carries technical issues that our gurus (like Grant Francis, whom Steve has referred to, and all the other XJS whizz kids) do not often troll the regional sections to seek out questions such as you pose. Rather than offer only a part answer, based on my current and very different pre-HE, or rely on failing memory of our long gone HE of similar vintage to yours, I would rather link you to them.

The question of who (locally) can be relied on to do a good job at a fair price is a great local question - but the "what is to be done" and "what else to I need to aware of" really warrant input from those who are experts in your model. Suggest you send Grant a Personal Message (PM).

Cheers and best wishes,

Ken