Co-op workshop and garage space

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 12:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Co-op workshop and garage space

Hey guys, I've been toying with the idea of setting up a D-I-Y workshop and garage for classic and performance cars in Melbourne. Very similar in concept to Kustom Kommune The Kustom Kommune | DIY Community Motorcycle Workshop but for cars.

I'm planning on offering some combination of hoist, workshop hire and project storage plus maintenance services but I'm interested to hear opinions about what people would want and pay for this kind of thing. Insurance for shared spaces is pretty expensive and where tools are involved it's even worse but I still think there is an opportunity for a good community of people wrenching and helping each other out.

I've done up a little website for it and I'm looking for some expressions of interest before I take it further. What do you think?

http://monocoquemc.com.au/

Vehicles are to be stored in separate roll up lockable garages at the back of the main workshop to protect them from dust and workshop accidents. Also proposed is onsite management and a web interface to the security system to keep an eye on your beast 24/7.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts
Default shared workshop

You would think there would be a market for this in town for the people with toys and no space , or no secure space. I wonder about the workshop aspects as I think only a small % of that market will be hands on (just my pre conceived idea).

Are you thinking of offering basic servicing or just site supervision?

If they just want storage they could pay a fair bit less but they wouldnt get ease of access and it sounds like you would offer better security.

Sounds like an interesting idea, I hope it flys. I was thinking of something similar but looking at the other end. A shared workshop aimed at hands on people space, hoists etc. In the end crowd control and insurance put me off.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:30 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Originally Posted by Monocoque
Hey guys, I've been toying with the idea of setting up a D-I-Y workshop and garage for classic and performance cars in Melbourne. ............
Welcome to the forum monocoque,

You are very close to breaking forum rules on advertising and commercial links.

The only reason I haven't deleted your post is because you are only trying to gauge interest at this stage for a possible commercial venture and it's something that could be useful to members if it gets off the ground.

Graham

Old 07-18-2014, 05:24 AM

Oh sorry guys really not intending to spam, there is no commercial offering here only looking to get people's opinion and experiences with similar businesses.

I've been around Jag's my entire life, my Dad is an XJS nut (currently has a beautiful cobalt blue HE) and as a result I certainly know my way around one. Rebuilding those inboard brakes with only jacks and jackstands was some of the hardest yakka I've ever done.

Thanks for the reply yarpos, a shared, hands on space with limited membership is what I'm looking at. I hear you in regards to insurance costs.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:16 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like a good plan mate!! seems like a pretty fair rate!

What sort of membership would you need to make it a viable venture?

Where abouts are you looking at setting up shop?

Old 07-25-2014, 10:17 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice looking web page too by the way!!

Old 07-25-2014, 10:26 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

We have one here in Brisbane, It's called "Clarke's garage' and you even get drink his beer and use his tools. But the membership is limited to 3 or 4 friends the wife likes.lol

Old 07-26-2014, 09:53 PM

Thanks Steve,

Looking at a few options location wise, Coburg seems to have a few options, maybe try to get as far in as Brunswick.

Current site would support a four post lift and work area plus 6 permanent cars with their own roller door storage areas.

Clarke, sounds like you have the better deal!