New Member: Australia

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 10:29 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New Member: Australia

Hi, I have posted in the new members area however like a few others I thought it best to make myself known in my own country! I have previously owned a 1985 XJ6 Series 3 however I am currently looking for a good XJ6 Series 1. Originally I was looking for a manual however as we all know they are very scarce and the ones that I did look at required a lot of TLC. It appears that that I will have more luck with an auto and whilst I will post in the appropriate section I am considering the option of replacing the 3 speed auto with a Holden/GM T700 4 speed auto. If anyone has done this modification or knows of someone who has done the modification, or has any comments to make I would be very interested. I know it can be done and I am curious to find out what is involved and any good/bad outcomes. Cheers, Brendan

Old 02-02-2014, 02:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts
Default Welcome Brendan

Hi Brendan, and welcome aboard,

I am sure our regional co-ordinator Dave will be along to give you a personal welcome ... but hey, I'm not shy in saying "hello" either. I can't help you with specifics about your box mods - although I do have experience of mating Jag V12s to both ZF 5speed transaxle (race special) and to a 4:1 marine reduction box (1980s prop-rider "Jaggered"). Would you consider shoehorning in ..... No, I guess not.

You will find our group here a very friendly bunch, but perhaps as you have already indicated, tech questions on specific models are best directed to those relevant sections. Often, as at present, this section appears fairly quiet - but we do try to share our experiences and knowledge around - Aussies and Kiwis alike.

Cheers Brendan, and best wishes.
Oh, by the by, even as the 1st and 2nd islands in the Aus/NZ archipelago (Kiwis of course rate us 3rd and 4th ... LOL ... as they should) but it's a big place - I am located in the Coffs Coast area midway between Sydney and Brisbane. Where do you hail from? Not stalking you, but that's the sort of info that helps to direct some of the advice or contacts that may later help you.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:06 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Hi Brendan,
I,also am a fairly new recruit. Just bought a 73 XJ6 Auto,only manual on the market for a late series 1 is in SA(brg from memory). All the rest are auto.
Welcome and as Ken has already said I'm certain you will find this a pretty friendly bunch,and helpful for a beginner.

Cheers,Clarke