Canada All Canadian members please post here...

Rear End Rebuild after first year

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 06:56 AM
Received 219 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Rear End Rebuild after first year

I have been on this forum for a year but just became aware of the Canadian section a few days ago.I got my 2004 XK8 convertible just a year ago today and it has been a pleasure.When I got it I only drove it for a week before putting her away for the season. I had no maintenance history with the car so I did everything that people on the forum recommended and that you would do to a new 12 year old car.Serpentine belt, coolant hoses, flushed cooling and brake system. Oil change,transmission fluid. Painted he bottom with POR 15 and of course cleaned and detailed everything on long winter evenings. After reading this forum all winter I started out in the spring with Jaguar Anxiety Syndrome although the car seemed to be great.

We have our first year together and the honeymoon is still on, a long trip from London to the Gaspe’ and another trip through the Smokey Mountains to Myrtle Beach and my daily driver, we have 15,000 km’s with no troubles.

Now I need somehelp from some Canadian friends. This winter my plan is to drop the rear end and do a total rebuild, there is a few thumps that I hear with the top up that indicate some warn bushings and there is rust in places I just can’t reach with it in the car.

I am of course debating the poly bushings or OEM rubber, and am looking for the best prices on shocks and bushings and any other hardware. If anyone here has taken this project on I would appreciate leads to any suppliers you may have used and any other advice that came out of doing the job.

I have a nicewarm and clean garage with the space and all of the tools so I know I am ready on that end.

I work in theauto parts industry and have the opportunity to get the rusty parts media blastedand then Zinc Dichromate plated for free. It might be flashy all gold, but doesanyone see any issues with that. Of course I will protect surfaces that need to be the correct size from the Zinc.
Thanks in Advance ,London, Ontario

Old 04-29-2016, 09:27 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 717 Posts

You clearly decided on your bushings approach...
For my comfort I chose rubber bushings.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:24 AM
Received 219 Likes on 112 Posts

Sandblasted, Zinc Powder coat, colour powder coat and Clear coat, should last for a while

Sand Blasted powder coaterd with Zinc, colour and clear coat, should last for a while.

Refurbished rear end already to go in. Powder coated colour and powder coated clear, should last.

All back together and back in the car. With new shocks, differentail oil change and and OEM rubber parts she is lust a little quieter and smoother than last year.

Last edited by daro31; 05-10-2016 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Add Pictures
Old 05-12-2016, 04:54 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 717 Posts

beautiful!