Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

Has anyone tried dr.colorchip?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Has anyone tried dr.colorchip?

Just wanted to know how good this product is if anyone has ever tried it on their Jags or any other vehicles.

Thanks.

http://drcolorchip.com/how-it-works.php

Old 03-11-2011, 06:45 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I just got it in the mail 2 days ago haven't tried it out yet will do come Sunday!

Old 03-11-2011, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by achysklic
I just got it in the mail 2 days ago haven't tried it out yet will do come Sunday!
Cool, did you get the Best value one for $59? I was looking around for any coupon codes, no luck Please do let me how well it goes, I'm going to wait till Monday to order it.

Thanks amigo!

Old 03-11-2011, 07:17 PM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I've used it on multiple cars and it works great! I have already used it on my STR. Because of Dr Colorchip I will never get a clear bra again. This stuff works wonders! It's pretty spendy for what you get, but even the smaller kit will last you a pretty long time. The guys on the 370Z forum love it too. Here are a few threads for ya.

http://www.the370z.com/detailing-was...for-after.html

http://www.the370z.com/exterior-inte...-my-paint.html

The following users liked this post:
jag79 (03-11-2011)
Old 03-11-2011, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Pushing_Tin
I've used it on multiple cars and it works great! I have already used it on my STR. Because of Dr Colorchip I will never get a clear bra again. This stuff works wonders! It's pretty spendy for what you get, but even the smaller kit will last you a pretty long time. The guys on the 370Z forum love it too. Here are a few threads for ya.

http://www.the370z.com/detailing-was...for-after.html

http://www.the370z.com/exterior-inte...-my-paint.html
Alrite screw it, I just ordered it , I have these annoying scrape marks on both the front lower ends of the air flow vents for the brakes...also a few road rash marks on the bumper , Hey pushing tin, since my color code of my STR is MDZ for platinum metallic was yours the same color?

Old 03-11-2011, 07:38 PM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

My car is quartz and the code is LHK. There are some good videos on youtube to watch and they'll show you the proper way to apply it. It's not hard though. The smearing of the paint is scary at first.

Originally Posted by jag79
Alrite screw it, I just ordered it , I have these annoying scrape marks on both the front lower ends of the air flow vents for the brakes...also a few road rash marks on the bumper , Hey pushing tin, since my color code of my STR is MDZ for platinum metallic was yours the same color?

Old 03-11-2011, 07:42 PM

I got middle kit $49 It seems like plenty...It arrived in just a couple of days The color from what I can tell looks like a perfect match.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Pushing_Tin
My car is quartz and the code is LHK. There are some good videos on youtube to watch and they'll show you the proper way to apply it. It's not hard though. The smearing of the paint is scary at first.
Cool, yeah I looked at few it seems like it does the job. The only thing it makes me wonder is how long will it last

Old 03-12-2011, 03:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Hey , I am moving this to the Detailing Forums , you have already got good answers but would like to know what Dave will say anything about it , you know he is an expert at his job

jag79 (03-14-2011)
Old 03-12-2011, 05:13 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Just wanted to know how good this product is if anyone has ever tried it on their Jags or any other vehicles.

Thanks.

http://drcolorchip.com/how-it-works.php
Haven't used it, buuuutttt... The concept is the same as what was taught to me MANY years ago by a body man... A way to fix paint chips is to layer the touch up paint on so it is thicker and slightly larger than the chip... Then lots of elbow grease to polish it down so it is smooth before it fully cures..

Then this stuff came out.. Basically paint formulated to do just what Al taught me, just less work.

Many independent places have tested it, and the stuff does work.

jag79 (03-14-2011)
Old 03-14-2011, 12:11 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks guys for helping out! much appreciated

Old 03-14-2011, 05:58 PM

I used it yesterday, I didn't have good luck doing it the way they say to putting on and smearing with glove. I dabbed it on alittle at a time and built it up. The color matched perfectly. I would suggest letting it dry a few hrs.
When I would try to wipe off excess I kept taking it all off and having to start over.

I really like the product if you are careful and take your time.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by achysklic
I used it yesterday, I didn't have good luck doing it the way they say to putting on and smearing with glove. I dabbed it on alittle at a time and built it up. The color matched perfectly. I would suggest letting it dry a few hrs.
When I would try to wipe off excess I kept taking it all off and having to start over.

I really like the product if you are careful and take your time.
..Hey thanks for the heads up! So in your experience thus far using it, you recommend just building up the paint incrementally and then how would you smoothen it by not removing the whole thing at once? Do you have to use the sealer solution after each application of the paint?
Hmm....got me thinking, what if we use a heat gun after each application to dry it faster and build ontop of it. Finally after the final application let it set for couple of hrs, then rub it down to level

Old 03-15-2011, 07:42 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

..Hey thanks for the heads up! So in your experience thus far using it, you recommend just building up the paint incrementally and then how would you smoothen it by not removing the whole thing at once? Do you have to use the sealer solution after each application of the paint?
Hmm....got me thinking, what if we use a heat gun after each application to dry it faster and build ontop of it. Finally after the final application let it set for couple of hrs, then rub it down to level
If that is the case.. Just use regular touch up paint from the dealer... No need for a heat gun.. Just layer it up.. let it set up for an hour or so..then polish it down with rubbing compound..add clear, polish, and be done..

That is what I do now....and its only a few dollars for the paint and the clear..

Old 03-17-2011, 10:38 AM
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I've had mixed results from this. I bought some to use on my BMW 5 series. If you don't wait long enough, the paint comes off. If you wait too long, the solution won't take it off. Buy some touch up paint, get some of the little touch up tips that are really small like the size of pencil lead. You can get these at auto paint supply stores. A bunch of them come in a tube. Just build it up and buff it down. Won't cost near as much. As for the paint they sent, it was an exact match to the car.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:21 AM

yes I believe you could get the same results with touch up paint, however, I have never got touchup paint that matched exactly...This paint does match exactly. For that alone it's worth it to me.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:31 PM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts
Default I have used this on two cars with mixed results...

The Dr. Coolorchip worked out okay. However, I notice that I had to use quite a bit of the solution that takes the excess paint off. The website does not sell that solution separately. You have to buy the whole kit...

Does anyone know what the paint remover solution is actually made from? Is it the same as the "blob eliminator" that is sold by LANGKA Paint Chip and Scratch Repair?

Old 03-18-2011, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member

Alrite I just got my package today with the paint, I'll let you all know how it turned out, dammm...soo many mixed reviews here got me scared to use it now , lolz...

Last edited by jag79; 03-21-2011 at 11:25 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Jag79,

Are you taking before/after photos for us?

looking forward to hearing about your results.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I wonder if this would've worked to fill in the paint checking that that black X-Type InnovatingDetailing corrected had a while back.

Quick Reply: Has anyone tried dr.colorchip?