Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

How to get this stuck rusty dust off my wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 03:37 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to get this stuck rusty dust off my wheel?

One of front wheels is all stained with metal shavings from a brake pad that got down to the metal, It looks like a rusty dust but it wont come off with a brush and soap. Anyone can tell me how to get it cleaned? Thank you in advance.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 1747
Size:  19.3 KB

Whoa, that doesn't sound too good
Maybe Dave will chime in with his detailing knowledge, but until he does, I'd like to suggest that you may have to clay the wheel to lift the metal shavings that have been deposited in your wheels.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 215 Likes on 127 Posts

http://www.eagleone.com/pages/produc...sp?itemid=1003
If its a little thick you could try this. If you have the silver painted wheels only. If your wheels are chrome I would do the clay method. Spray it on and let it sit for about 5 minutes then use a toothbrush and try to scrub the brake deposits off then rinse it off. If its still got some repeat it a few times and then put on some wax to seal the paint on the rim and get it nice and shiny again. If you have any wax on it this stuff will definitly take it off. If you regularly wax your wheels with your paint if you get metal on them from brakes like that again it will be alot easier to get off.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vance580
http://www.eagleone.com/pages/produc...sp?itemid=1003
If its a little thick you could try this. If you have the silver painted wheels only. If your wheels are chrome I would do the clay method. Spray it on and let it sit for about 5 minutes then use a toothbrush and try to scrub the brake deposits off then rinse it off. If its still got some repeat it a few times and then put on some wax to seal the paint on the rim and get it nice and shiny again. If you have any wax on it this stuff will definitly take it off. If you regularly wax your wheels with your paint if you get metal on them from brakes like that again it will be alot easier to get off.
I have the standard silver painted wheels. I will give this a try if it's available at the local auto parts. Thank you.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 215 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by newuser
I have the standard silver painted wheels. I will give this a try if it's available at the local auto parts. Thank you.
Should be available anywhere. I would try Walmart first should be cheaper there.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:06 AM
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by newuser
One of front wheels is all stained with metal shavings from a brake pad that got down to the metal, It looks like a rusty dust but it wont come off with a brush and soap. Anyone can tell me how to get it cleaned? Thank you in advance.
I have always been able to count on Meguiar's D14001 Wheel Brightner from their pro line. Or what has also worked for me in the past was Stoners "Tarminator".....Spray on, allow to dwell and try using a tooth brush first to loosen the deposits if not try 4 XXXX (Extra fine steel wool) and lighly agitate the deposits and rinse. I would then wax or seal the wheels with a good sealant. Just make sure the wheels are cool, out of direct sunlight and then clean and rinse one at a time.

Originally Posted by JimC64

Whoa, that doesn't sound too good
Maybe Dave will chime in with his detailing knowledge, but until he does, I'd like to suggest that you may have to clay the wheel to lift the metal shavings that have been deposited in your wheels.
Jim, you could try the clay, use an older piece to see if it is effective, be sure to throw away the clay after due to the rust shavings and iron debris...I would try chemically first to clean them up......

Old 12-06-2010, 06:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Solution for cleaning up brake dust

I had a similar issue with a 2007 S Type I bought used. Overall in great condition but the wheels had places down in the corners where some brake dust had accumulated and allowed to get hard. I used Poorboys Spray and Rinse Wheel cleaner. The only place I know to buy is Autogeek.net. It got 99% off pretty easy with the use of a barrel brush (also available from that site). What it wouldn't take off the Stoner's Tarminator did. I believe the stuff that wasn't simple brake dust had some road tar mixed in. Let the Tarminator dissolve it for a couple of minutes, it may also take a little scrubbing. Hope this helps.