Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

Paint finish dic

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 05:47 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Paint finish dic

I have only just noticed 2 areas on my car where the paint finish has some discolouration blemish areas. One area about 3" x 12" on the left edge of the hood at the front vender and a similar sized area on the left trunk edge at the rear vender. This is the first time I have noticed this after many years of hand washing my car, drying it with a chamois or micro fibre towels and hand waxing my car.

A camera lens will not capture the discolouration. It is very difficult to see in a bright direct sunlight day, but very noticeable in a dull overcast day and when the car is parked in the garage. The best way to describe this is the discoloured area does not have the same mirror quality finish or depth quality. On the perimeter of the discoloured area are what appears to be 2 to 3 rings of about 1/4" wide that at certain angles almost show an irregular rainbow or prism effect. Initially I thought the clear coat in these areas had been compromised by a high speed buffer where it had burnished the clear coat finish (aka clear coat burn) thus creating the discolouration.

I have had the paint thickness checked with a micrometer of the discoloured areas and the areas contiguous to this and both are consistent with the factory paint thickness. The clear coat has not been compromised. There has been no previous history of paint work at all on my vehicle. Next steps are to have a paint expert look at these areas as well as the Jaguar dealer to try to understand the root cause of this problem. The mystery is these areas were never noticed before now and what possible could have caused them to show up 7 years later.

Just wondering if anyone has ever experienced such an anomaly as this and if so what your findings and resolutions were?
Thanks
Cat2