Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

white speckles

Old 06-04-2011, 09:00 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default white speckles

Howdy Folks...
I was down on my Prayer Bones today...takin' a squint at my paint and noticed little white spreckles on the front and sides of my ride. Closer examination seems to idicate PAINT !! It seems the PO followed somebody a little to close as they tested the freshness of the roadside fogline. I tried some Goo-Off... nope...tried some solvent... NOPE... I'm afraid to try some kind of thinner. I could sure use a "Block of Instruction" from my peers as to "What in th' Wide World o' Sports" do I do now???

Thanks Fellas
Frantis Freddie

Old 06-04-2011, 09:06 PM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

clay bar and buff...

Old 06-05-2011, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

A mild polishing compound will also do the trick....

Old 06-05-2011, 11:46 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

"Clay Bar"?... What kind. I've never used a "Clay Bar" before. Is it some kind of abrasive material? or a "Mild Compund and Buff". I whip on up to a restoration shop near here and get some more info. Thank you both for steering me in the right direction...

Drive On!!...
Fast Freddie

Old 06-06-2011, 03:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Hey, I am moving off your thread off to the Detailing Forums so that our experts can spot your dilemma

Old 06-06-2011, 06:12 AM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Road Paint
Is a pigmented resin system, very high in solids with a colour aggregate and is more like an adhesive than paint; it contains silica (glass) micro beads that help reflect light, however they can cause scratches if you use mechanical removal.

Correction / Removal - use 3M Adhesive Remover and detailer’s clay, 3M EraserWheel Detailer’s Clay or try wet-sanding with 2000 - 2500 grit finishing paper and a Unigrit block.

For heavy accumulations or paint that has dried for several days, apply a liberal coating of Vaseline to the dried traffic paint and allow to remain overnight and then pressure wash. This should remove most of the traffic paint. If not, repeat the procedure.

Road Paint Remover (wipes) – lay the smooth side of the wipe over the contamination to saturate the surface. Let it sit for about one minute to soften the paint. Use the textured side of a new wipe and rub vigorously. Use firm pressure and a lot of action. Particularly difficult cases may take a second application.
Once you have removed the road paint, wash off the chemical with shampoo and a spot polish should bring back the original shine. (Do not use on paint jobs less than 90 days old) The same technique can be used for old tar removal. TOTL

Old 06-06-2011, 10:31 AM
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Overspray can always be a big pain in the ****.....

I reccommend the following....

• Clean vehicle thoroughly
  • Evaluate the surface and the contamination, be certain that it is paint and or tree sap, then comtinue on....
  • Using a mild clay like "Clay Magic" mild blue formula and a clay lube try a test spot for results, if successful continue claying to remove paint. DO NOT DROP CLAY if so discard and use a new piece!
  • Polish vehicle completly to add luster and remove any fine scratches induced by the clay
  • Wax or seal for the last step and to protect your vehicle....
Wash on a regular weekly schedule and monitor the condition of the vehicle to keep it looking its best, follow up after each wash with a mist and wipe or gloss enhancer.....

Last edited by Innovative Detailing; 06-06-2011 at 10:35 AM.