E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

1967 E-type transmission (4 speed) question

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 12:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 1967 E-type transmission (4 speed) question

I inherited a 1967 E-Type from my dad about 7 years ago (90,000 miles on it). Sadly, most of the miles I have put on are between my house and the nearest mechanic (that I like) 30 miles away. Over the years I have spent about $12k on brakes, rear seal and new clutch, steering column, new tach, etc.

After the last trip to the mechanic (to replace a blown fuse and check into some oil leaks) resulted in a $2,100 bill, I was thinking this might be the last straw (it certainly has been for my wife!).

Then the mechanic tells me he is hearing some disturbing noises from the transmission (could be one of several worn parts). Honestly, I have been hearing some whining at red lights and I can hear the "rumbling" that he describes (but is whining a transmission issue if the transmission is in neutral?). It's a 4 speed standard.

This all raises several questions.
1) How much am I risking if I drive it as is?
2) Is his "north of $5,000" about right?
3) How much does it affect the value if I am up front about the sound vs. get it fixed?

Any suggestions in Dallas, TX for a second opinion?

Thanks!!!

Old 01-29-2018, 03:25 PM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

(but is whining a transmission issue if the transmission is in neutral?). It's a 4 speed standard.
Yes. Whilst ever the engine is turning and the clutch is engaged (foot off clutch) then the First Motion Shaft, Lay-shaft Cluster, and all Gears, except Reverse Gear, but including the Reverse Gear Idler are rotating.

If you're lucky, the problem will be the First Motion Shaft bearing. If not so lucky, it will be one of the meshing gears. Often the noise will be coming from the Reverse Idler and Lay-shaft Cluster combination and only when the Reverse Idler is in the forward position (when a Forward Gear, or Neutral is selected). See attached pictures below.

When it is the Reverse Idler, Lay-shaft involved, its frequently the Reverse Idler that is causing the noise; this will be your next level of good luck. Parts get a bit costly when other gears are involved.

This all raises several questions.
1) How much am I risking if I drive it as is?
2) Is his "north of $5,000" about right?
3) How much does it affect the value if I am up front about the sound vs. get it fixed?
1. There is a risk of major failure, but at the lower end of the risk scale. If the noise is quite noticeable, you should get it looked at. If not so noticeable, then you may get away with continuing to drive it.
2. Its an engine out job to get at the gearbox, so as a turn key project and depending on what is causing the problem, its not too far out.
3. Anyone performing due diligence would have to factor in the cost of the gearbox repair and the fact that instead of being able to enjoy the car immediately, it will be off the road perhaps as soon as they have purchased it. Being able to advertise that the gearbox has been refurbished can also be a good thing.

Regards,

Bill

Last edited by bkeats; 01-30-2018 at 03:41 AM.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:16 PM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Its 51 years old.....everything will have to come out.
This will only lead to more and more, it never ends.
Unless you want it till your grave, let it go.
I wouldn't but we are seeing a LARGE amountof children of parents cars not have the patience, desire or funds to keepthem running.
Good luck, the tranny is north of 5 grand if all new gears are to be replaced.
GTJOEY1314

Old 01-29-2018, 10:58 PM

Thanks bkeats and gtjoey. I knew he'd have to take the engine/transmission out of the car and I like this guy and it takes a month to even get your car an appointment so he's obviously not charging as much as he could.

If it wasn't costing $10/mile to operate, I am actually the type of guy who'd keep the car and enjoy it. Here in Dallas, its hard to drive it for 5 months of the year because it doesn't really like 90+ deg temps.

I am already wondering if I can find a nice 1988 Porsche 944S to replace it!

Old 01-29-2018, 11:12 PM

BTW, here are pics.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:40 AM

Pretty 2+2 and there lies the problem. Great looking condition, a dry mid west cat but a 2+2 which I LIKE but value has been going south.
So Like me and my many cars, you have to decide.
Do you want to die with the car or cut and run.
Your wife and kids do not care, no matter what anyone else says.
Their issue when we are all gone, is who will fix them 30 years from now?
I will but I'm a 110 years old, baaaa haaa...
You get the picture, watch any chasing classic cars, its a weekly funeral march nowadays.
Great car though.
IM ABUYER AT 15 GRAND?
GTJOEY1314

Old 02-01-2018, 10:43 AM

I think I scared you.....

Old 02-01-2018, 10:43 PM

No, just didn't think a response was called for... was $15k a serious offer? Sorry, I didn't read it that way.

Old 02-02-2018, 04:59 AM

It was a joke, all kidding aside, If you keep it, IMHO its the perfect car for a 5speed.
You have the room for trips, you probably have a 307 or 288 rear.
At 50 your at 1,500 rpm at 90 2,500.
Plus no oil burning on the exhaust pipes.
I understand the more modern cars they are a lot easier to handle and service.
An ETYPE is a love affair, if your tired of paying to have her or it? in the new world, let it go.
My best of best friends from D TYPES TO XKSS AND E TYPE RACERS all say the same , every two years its a shake down, that's about right for an ETYPE .
I go through mine every two years and things just happen.
Enjoy it my friend!
PM if you need some help but its a wonderful old girl.
GTJOEY1314

Old 02-03-2018, 07:15 PM
Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

Hey there Dallas. nice looking car, I have a 68 2+2 so very similar vehicles. These are cars that need constant attention to be reliable drivers. If you do not like wrenching/tinkering/fixing things on your own then they can become expensive toys. Lucky for you yours aged in a dry part of the world and avoided road salt and humidity. That would have led to a full replacement of tinwormed metal. Check Hagerty classic car values before you bail out, solid 2+2s are actually increasing in value again. (mostly from demand in Europe)

Old 02-04-2018, 10:20 AM

Thanks GTJOEY and alfred. My mechanic (who has a 1967 two seater) was telling me values were increasing. It'll be hard to sell as it's the closest thing I have found to a time machine. Interestingly, it isn't the lovely long hood or sweet sound of the engine that I appreciate the most but the smell in the cockpit.... I cannot describe it, but it immediately takes me back to my Uncle's 1967 Eldorado and best high school friend's 1974 Ford Maverick.

In some ways it is comforting that no one has said "wow, your's seems to be a real lemon!"

Old 02-04-2018, 01:40 PM

Its a love affair my friend.....Enjoy it, run it, blow it up and run it again
Ive had MANY cars and like many of my friends, we nevercould sell the ETYPE.
Ferrari's, Astons and Model A's have all come and gone, but that ETYPE , I just cant do it!
Enjoy the ride !
GTJOEY1314

Old 02-04-2018, 03:49 PM
Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

Dallas, funny that you mention smells. When I had my 1959 XK150 I had several old mechanics wanting to sit in it and "smell the car". Likely the mixture of mohair, leather and burnt engine oil brought back fond old memories for them.

Old 02-04-2018, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

The E-type you have will still be around when the Porsche has been converted to baked bean tins. Keep her, but don't spend huge amounts of money at short intervals. What's a bit of whine in the gearbox for heaven's sake ! This is not a daily driver, surely ?

It is a child of the 60s and cars were not as reliable as they are now, but what the hell ?