E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

4.2 Timing Chains

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.2 Timing Chains

I have recently removed a cylinder head for rebuilding. The machine shop said they timed it to TDC #1.

I rotated the engine to bring # 1 cylinder up onto TDC., and re-installed the head.

The timing marks on both cams are lined up, but the cam sprockets will not align with the holes in the cam flanges. If I install a bolt on one cam, the other holes are misaligned by about 1/2".

I rotated the cam sprockets 180°, as suggested in the shop manual, but it doesn't resolve the issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-19-2016, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

My experience is with later 4.2s as used in the Series III sedans so I'm not sure if the E-type engines have the same arrangement, but.......

The cam drive plate and the cam sprocket are two pieces. The former can be rotated within the latter. With the sprocket where you want it, remove the big cir-clip that holds the two pieces together, disengage the plate from the sprocket, reposition the drive plate to line up with the camshaft bolt holes, then re-engage the two pieces together. Reinstall the cir-clip.

About a million very fine splines mesh the drive plate to the sprocket.

You'll see

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
JRR705 (03-19-2016)
Old 03-19-2016, 09:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Doug,

I did some further reading, in an older Jaguar Shop Manual, and it talked also about the "two piece" drive plates. I'll have a fresh go at it tomorrow.

Thanks again.

JR