E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

62 E Type Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 01:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 62 E Type Questions

I'm brand new to this forum and honestly I don't know where else to turn. Its seriously hard finding help on these cars that's not someone trying to take advantage of my wife and get this car away from us.

So my wife inherited a 62 its in my garage in pieces. Her father had started the process of restoring it he took the entire thing apart and then passed away. Full body on a rack, motor on the lift, tires rims, windshield, soft top to me it looks like the majority of the car is here in the garage.

I have the title and I know its an E type my assumption is its a roadster. Is there any distinguishing things I can look for to verify this? I've read about the flat floors but I don't think it is that model.

We want to do something with the car, I just can't bare to see it rust away into crap. I don't think we are gonna ever have an extra $50,000 laying around to do a proper restoration. What should we do?

I contacted a few people they said $10,000 cash we will be there to pick it up tomorrow. I just don't trust them. We don't have a lot of money and my wife's father didn't either this was his secret.

I need your advise on what to do. How to get the proper value for the car. How to not get taken and where to turn.

thank you for all your help

Old 10-09-2015, 01:32 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 528 Likes on 275 Posts

What you have is becoming quite a rare find, with that you will attract a lot of interest, some less desirable than others i'm sure.

We do not buy or sell cars just their parts, we specialize in E-types and so if you need any help in ascertaining what you have please feel free to give us a shout.

P.S if you have the car's chassis number you may want to check XKEDATA.COM to see if it has ever been recorded there.

Kind Regards

William.

Last edited by SNG Barratt USA; 10-09-2015 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:05 PM
Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

Since it has a soft top, it is indeed the roadster (also called the open two-seater, OTS). The flat floor model literally has a flat floor. On a non-flat floor, if you squat down at the leading edge of the door and look underneath the car, you will see that the floor drops down compared to the rest of the floor structure. Also, if memory serves (?), on the NOT-flat floors, the bulkhead behind the seats is curved to allow a bit more seat travel.

If anyone offers you $10,000 cash for the car, just tell them that the next phone call you make will be to the police. Hagerty.com is a good reference for the insurance valuation of the E-Types. Looking at their valuations for a 1962 roadster in #4 condition [definition: #4 cars are daily drivers, with flaws visible to the naked eye. The chrome might have pitting or scratches, the windshield might be chipped. Paintwork is imperfect, and perhaps the fender has a minor dent. The interior could have split seams or a cracked dash. No major parts are missing, but the wheels could differ from the originals, or the interior might not be stock. A #4 car can also be a deteriorated restoration. "Fair" is the one word that describes a #4 car.]:
#4 Flat floor: $122,000
#4 Not-flat floor: $70,000
E-Types in much better condition are worth several multiples of these values.

A good way to better understand what you have and where to go from here would be to join the local branch of the Jaguar Clubs of North America. If you want to go that route, let me know, and I will PM the contact details for the Northeast Regional Director in MD, who has tons of expertise with E-Types.

Last edited by SCMike; 10-09-2015 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:24 PM
Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

I agree with Mike, a '63 OTS is worth much more than the $10,000 cash offers that you have had. Even if as you say it is pulled apart, it is rare and valuable. Do your research at take your time finding the right thing to do with it, and then you will know who is really giving you a fair offer.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:57 PM
Banned

Please call me very interested in the car will purchase asap (410)491-6027 ask for John thanks

Old 10-09-2015, 11:00 PM
Banned

I also live Maryland and will make you a fair offer would like to come see the car in the morning

Old 10-10-2015, 04:25 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Monocoque Metalworks (Monocoque Metalworks | Jaguar E-Type body panels and shell restoration) is in Maryland and specializes in restoring e-type bodies. I dont think they do mechanical or paint, just metal. Chuck is a nice guy on the phone and certainly knows his stuff. Check out his blog where he documents a lot of the work he does. I'd call him and see if he has some wisdom to share.

You can also contact the other major e-type restorers in the states like ClassicJaguar.com here in Austin, XKs Unlimited in San Luis Obispo, etc. I've heard mention of Coventry West. Take lots of pictures as otherwise you're asking people to make wild-*** guesses.

Good luck!

Jim

Old 10-31-2015, 11:50 PM
Banned

Have you sold the car yet ?

Old 11-03-2015, 02:06 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Valuation is very dynamic thing right now. Needed body work will be a big factor, has engine been rebuilt (cost for this alone is $6000 to $12,000 based on level of work). The roadster is the more valuable, and if all of the numbers match (are on a plate on ight side sill in engine compartment) is a big plus--I am sorry your father in law never finished, hopefully he did enjoy the work-I am currently restoring a 62 and a 68 e-type, and have over 5 years in time alone. Talk to some reputable markets-if not in a hurry an auction may yield your best monetary outcome. Good luck!

Old 11-12-2015, 07:05 PM
Banned

still intereasted and I am intereasted in purchasing the car I live in Maryland as well call/text (410)491-6027 or email Johnamg@live.com

Old 11-14-2015, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by manns.22
I'm brand new to this forum and honestly I don't know where else to turn. Its seriously hard finding help on these cars that's not someone trying to take advantage of my wife and get this car away from us.

So my wife inherited a 62 its in my garage in pieces. Her father had started the process of restoring it he took the entire thing apart and then passed away. Full body on a rack, motor on the lift, tires rims, windshield, soft top to me it looks like the majority of the car is here in the garage.

I have the title and I know its an E type my assumption is its a roadster. Is there any distinguishing things I can look for to verify this? I've read about the flat floors but I don't think it is that model.

We want to do something with the car, I just can't bare to see it rust away into crap. I don't think we are gonna ever have an extra $50,000 laying around to do a proper restoration. What should we do?

I contacted a few people they said $10,000 cash we will be there to pick it up tomorrow. I just don't trust them. We don't have a lot of money and my wife's father didn't either this was his secret.

I need your advise on what to do. How to get the proper value for the car. How to not get taken and where to turn.

thank you for all your help
Hi,
Contact a local Jag group: Nation s Capital Jaguar Owners Club
For expertise and assistance. They are based in the DC area.
Much agree you need to decide whether to keep and restore or sell to an appreciative owner. Having owned my for 40+ years, they can be a thing of beauty and if not handy, a deep well for storing cash.
Good Luck....