E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

69 XKE 2+2 Door Lock Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 02:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 69 XKE 2+2 Door Lock Issues

Good afternoon. I am new to this site and a new Jaguar owner as well. I purchased a 69 2+2 recently and am having an issue with both door handles/locks. Both exterior door handles will open the door properly about 5-6 times as I open and close the door, but will then lock itself to where I need the key to unlock/reopen the door. I pulled the door handle off, cleaned it out and lubed it generously as I did the other locking components. In looking at what is happening from the inside of the door, as I repeatedly push the button in on the exterior door handle, I can see the remote control arm slowly push the lever in the door handle to the locked position. I cant seem to figure out what I need to do to keep this from happening. Is this a common problem? Can anyone give me some advice on how to fix it? I appreciate any and all help. Thank you.

Old 07-30-2017, 05:50 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I will look at my SWB 68, but the 2+2 uses a separate key to lock the door I believe. You might check for looseness of ant rivet connectors in the linkages and proper set up incase doors had been disassembled and reassembled incorrectly

Old 10-16-2017, 10:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to lubricate door locks

Dear jlgoetzi,
I bought a 1969 E-type a year ago. On my inaugural trip home, I almost broke a key trying to lock the door at a turnpike rest stop.
My mechanic took the door locks out and cleaned them before lubricating them with GRAPHITE. I am not certain but believe this is a dry form of lubrication. Anything else will not work properly. Now the locks work like a dream. So my recommendation is to take the locks apart, clean them thoroughly, and lubricate them with graphite. Hope this is helpful.