E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Billet Front Brake Calipers - Disc Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 04:49 PM
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Billet Front Brake Calipers - Disc Alignment

I've run into a problem fitting new aluminium billet calipers to my S1 E-Type original front brakes. Problem is that the caliper does not centre on the disc so that outside pad is rubbing on the disc face. Original Dunlop calipers were designed to require shimming to centre the caliper but the billet calipers are supposed to fit without shimming. I won't name the supplier as it seems they are not the only one who expect the caliper to just bolt on without any provision for adjustment. Anyone else had this problem and able to offer a solution?

Old 01-29-2017, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

My E-type experience is limited so there may be specifics about the brake design I'm not aware of.

But.....

How severe is the rubbing? A sight rubbing or drag is typical with disc brakes.

Is the inboard pad not contacting the disc at all? That would be of greater concern, IMO

Others will chime in

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
bazjag (01-29-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 10:47 PM

To clarify, when the brake pistons are fully retracted the outside pad of the right hand caliper still rubs against the disc. The left hand outside pad just clears. See photos. Of course the piston movements will compensate when the brakes are first used but it is not good practice to have off-centre calipers. Uneven pad wear initially is one consequence.

Attached Thumbnails Billet Front Brake Calipers - Disc Alignment-20170112_123857.jpg  

Last edited by bazjag; 01-29-2017 at 10:54 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:51 PM

Sorry, photo missing on previous post. RH Caliper should have been this one.

Attached Thumbnails Billet Front Brake Calipers - Disc Alignment-20170112_124204.jpg  

Last edited by bazjag; 01-29-2017 at 10:55 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by bazjag
To clarify, when the brake pistons are fully retracted the outside pad of the right hand caliper still rubs against the disc.
Light rubbing, or heavy?

Heavy rubbing would not be good under any circumstances, obviously.

Light rubbing would be OK if it returned to 'light' when the brakes are applied and then released

The left hand outside pad just clears. See photos.

When the brakes are applied and released do the pistons fully retract, allowing the clearance to return? Or do they remain partially extended so as to take-up the clearance?

Of course the piston movements will compensate when the brakes are first used but it is not good practice to have off-centre calipers.
I understand your concern and I don't recall having seen such a noticeable off-center situation before.

However......

Actual operation needs to be considered. Apply and release the brakes and check the pads. If both pads are now just *slightly* rubbing the disc, and stay that way as long as the brake is not applied, that's as good as it gets. The pads should wear evenly.

If releasing the brakes means that one pad rubs a bit and the other doesn't rub at all, that's obviously a problem. Uneven pad wear, plus long pedal......as that clearance must be taken up every time the pedal is pressed.

What's more important to even pad wear is that the caliper be parallel to the disc. From your pics it 'looks' OK....but that's obviously not a precise conclusion.

To centralize the caliper over the disc, if you deem it absolutely necessary, I'd say that you have to mill some material off of the mounting surfaces so as to move the caliper position well to the opposite side and then use shims to bring it back to center.

Cheers
DD

Old 02-15-2017, 11:19 PM

I resolved this problem by installing 1/16" spacers between the hubs and discs and calipers are now centred over the discs. Still disappointed with the supplier for lack of warning that the calipers are non-adjustable. Now I know what questions to ask but will never need to.