E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Bonnet/hood side releases on Series 1

Old 04-17-2019, 12:43 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Bonnet/hood side releases on Series 1

On your Series 1, (I don't know about the other Series cars) does your (or from your memory) bonnet/hood side releases found on each side of the interior near the front of the door after it is opened, after pulling out, do they turn up or turn down, to release the sides of the bonnet/hood? They start horizontal, but when turning them vertical, do you turn them up or down? I know what the operating manual says, but I am interested to know how they work in your car. Thank you.

Regards,
John

Old 04-18-2019, 04:46 AM
Liked 31 Times in 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jphass View Post
On your Series 1, (I don't know about the other Series cars) does your (or from your memory) bonnet/hood side releases found on each side of the interior near the front of the door after it is opened, after pulling out, do they turn up or turn down, to release the sides of the bonnet/hood? They start horizontal, but when turning them vertical, do you turn them up or down? I know what the operating manual says, but I am interested to know how they work in your car. Thank you.

Regards,
John
Hello John,
When Locked, both should point to 3 o'clock. When turning them to the Unlocked position, they are turned CCW to point Up.

Regards,

Brent

Old 04-18-2019, 08:24 AM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you Brent. That is exactly the way they operate on the car that I'm looking at. Further, it is the same action for each side. One would think it would turn differently for the other side. It doesn't. I asked, because I purchased a reprint of the operating/service manual for the car (Series 1, 4.2 liter). The manual is for 4.2 liter E-Types and 2 + 2. On page 30 of the manual, the operation is described, and there is a blown up illustration of the release in the open position. The release is pointing to 6 o'clock, when in reality it points to 12 o'clock. I was thinking that an assembly worker may have unintentionally put the right side on the left and vice versa. Apparently that is not the case and the manual is wrong, or this "slip up" on the line happened regularly. Someone else told me that if the manual says to fill the coolant to the neck of the tank, that is seriously wrong as well.

Thanks.
John