E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Hella intermittent relay and Lucas 16W wiper motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Default Hella intermittent relay and Lucas 16W wiper motor

I am trying to get my '71 XJ to work with the Hella 001871041 relay. My car uses the Lucas 16W wiper motor.

Inadvertently XKs Unlimited sent me a wiper rocker switch for a XKE but that switch only has four (4) pins and mine has (8) pins.

Does the XKE wiper motor "Park" the wiper blades? Has anyone added intermittent wipers? Does the XKE use that same crazy wiper motor 16W??

With only five actual different wires, I would think this should be possible to be made to work. The Green wire from the fuse is "looped" to another pin,
the White/Light Green wire is also "looped" onto another pin. The Green is hot and the Blue/Green wire is hot with the switch On.

Old 05-04-2016, 05:38 PM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger Mabry
Does the XKE wiper motor "Park" the wiper blades?
Hello Roger,
The short answer is Yes, but it depends on the Series as to the arrangement. I convert a lot of Series 3 LHD cars to RHD; accordingly, I'm quite familiar with the S3 system.

I've not added intermittent wipers to any of the conversions I've done, but I'll take a close look at a motor and wiring and come back to you.

Regards,

Brent

Last edited by bkeats; 05-05-2016 at 04:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Roger Mabry (05-05-2016)
Old 05-05-2016, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Default Have mine working now

Hella Black wires hook up to Jaguar Green wire across from the Black ground...(two Green wires that are looped).

Works properly with the Jaguar switch and Parks. Hella will work on Low speed on the switch or High... then use the Hella switch for the desired delay period.

Thanks for the reply.