E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

How big are my nipples?

Old 10-22-2017, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,936 Posts

So where exactly does one buy a 6.3 mm spanner ?

Old 10-22-2017, 02:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered mine off of ebay.

To find it you may have to call it a wrench (oh no!)

lol

Old 10-22-2017, 04:35 PM
Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts

[QUOTE=Xesvuli420;1780124]Rodman you need to work on your reading skills.

RoBman thanks. I can still read,

1. Actually I was called a name first. Called a troll if you care to read back. But thats not going to change anything, you cant rationalize with stupid.

Please post where this is as I cannot seem to find where you were called a troll, mention was made that you may have wandered over from another forum, that’s not the same thing

2. No man, you didnt answer BEFORE i measured and edited my post. NO ONE had answered so I dug out my caliper and came back and put in my own answer, to help the community, then you people proceeded to argue with the damn measurement. Lmao I was just trying help the next guy. I could give a ship about you and your opinions on using incorrect tools for ever how many hundreds of years. For any one who cares, the answer is 6.3mm. For you backyarders, grab yer qwarta inch, give er a lil bend, and er ya go!

What I meant was that I wrote my post and then realised that you had already measured the nipple and that I couldn’t be bothered editing my post, my bad.

3. Also yes they are the original jag wheels smart guy.. measured with a V caliper to be just under half way between 6 and 7. A 6.3mm is the correct size. Still not sure what there is to argue about.

I sorry but measuring with a VC and getting to (quote) somewhere between 6 and 7 mm is hardly being specific, as has already been pointed out the difference between 6.3mm and 1/4” is .05mm about the thickness of a hair on a persons head. I am a toolmaker by trade and you need to have good eyes to read that with either a dial caliper or a vernier style caliper, (if you don’t know the difference then google it)

I never said you couldnt use a 1/4”, i said Im not going to, I personally think its stupid, but never said you couldt.

What does seem to stand out in this thread is the total lack of support for the use of a 6.3mm spanner versus a 1/4” spanner/wrench (which is slightly bigger than your ‘correct’ 6.3mm) so who is jamming which onto what?

Last edited by Robman25; 10-22-2017 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You dont have to quote anything, we all know who youre talking to. It just makes useless pages and takes up space.

also youre right, I got the conversion backwards, Its a sloppy fit.. that must make the end result change... oh wait, it doesnt? Being too big is 10 times worse if you ask me. Either way, whichever way, its not 6.3mm.

are you ready to admit a 6.3mm spanner on a 6.3mm spoke would be the BEST tool for the job?

If so, great, if not, refer to previos post. But can we please just let this thread die? People can choose whether they grind up their original etype spokes or not.

also can someone explain why mm wouldnt be on the car. The wheels are made in a metric country.. I may not know all the details here but mm was the standard since 65.

either way, still 6.3mm

good day!

Old 10-22-2017, 05:52 PM
Received 110 Likes on 84 Posts

One caveat is that many of the 6.3 mm spoke wrenches are provided for motor cycle wire wheels (mostly by MC internet vendors). A concern is that some of those MC wrenches are a bit on the short length side, and it may be difficult to provide enough torque to budge stubborn automobile wire wheel nipples.

A British car parts vendor such as Moss Motors does supply a spoke wrench of sufficient length:
https://mossmotors.com/spoke-wrench-wire-wheel
Yes, it is the dreaded 1/4" spoke wrench (which, curiously enough, is dimensionally identical across the flats to a 6.3 mm wrench).

Last edited by SCMike; 10-22-2017 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:21 PM
Received 161 Likes on 127 Posts

Mike you just can not trust the English. When they were standardizing sizes during the industrial revolution they knew there would be metrics in a hundred years or so. So those rascals made some imperial sizes almost exact to the future Metric sizes to confuse folks. wonder what size the spokes are in Whitworth which surely they were in the beginning. As to wire spoke wheels (not Dunlop) or not made in England who knows. Your comment re torque is exactly right--my spanner (wrench) is about 10 inches (metric equil. unknown) and on some spokes you need to crank and could use 10 more inches.

The following users liked this post:
Robman25 (10-23-2017)