E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Idling Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 05:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idling Problems

Evening Ladies and Gents,

I have finally gotten my jaguar e type s2 Manuel to start a have been working on tuning the carbs. 2 stromberg cd2 175's. The carbs have been cleaned and all gaskets replaced. I am having trouble with the idle. As I tune it turning the adjusting screws 1/8th turn at a time I go from either idle @ 1800+ rpms or it just dies. Could the root of the problem be the distributer? If so I don't know how to fix the timing on that. Spark plugs are gapped and good to go. It's not the fuel pump at least I don't think it is. What would you experts here do first? I have spent a few hours total trying to get these things tuned with no avail. I did get it to idle at 1200 rpms last night but it died after 5 minutes of idle. Your help is greatly appreciated. Btw way I have the repair Manual following everything to a t. Thanks in advance!!

Old 11-05-2015, 05:13 PM
Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

I think the timing has to be spot on before you can expect any success with adjusting the carbs. At last that worked for me, used a strobe light to get it dead on 10 degrees, then adjusted the carbs after.

The following users liked this post:
Ol Blue (11-05-2015)
Old 11-05-2015, 05:23 PM

Thank you sir. Will try it. Do you know where to get a proper strobe?

Old 11-05-2015, 05:59 PM

Can anyone else confirm this?

Old 11-05-2015, 09:36 PM
Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

timing strobes are available at many auto parts stores. NAPA, Princess Auto, Canadian tire up here in Canada. I found it to be much easier as a two man job, one under the car with the strobe, the other turning the dizzy. As you change the timing, the engine speed will change as well, so getting the timing set is your first step before adjusting the idle. Make sure you have good points, condenser, dizzy cap, plug wires before trying to adjust the timing.

The following users liked this post:
Ol Blue (11-09-2015)