E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Mechanic recommendation sought

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 03:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mechanic recommendation sought

I have a '69 E-Type OTS in Willow Green with a suede green interior. I recently moved to the Gulf Coast and am looking for a capable mechanic to drop my rear-end, rebuild the differential and suspension (as needed) - brakes okay. The car is in Sarasota but I am willingly to consider any mechanic/repair shop in Florida.

Thanks

Peter

Old 04-14-2021, 05:56 PM
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Hi PeterMN,
There used to be a place near you that was well known for doing Jags. Maybe someone in this forum will remember their name and suggested to you. Failing that I can recommend Aerodynamis in the Daytona Beach area. The owner is Lou Verdiales who used to service airplanes, hence the shop name, but decided that there were less headaches servicing cars. He does mostly Porsches, and is very well known throughout Florida for his work, but he also does Jags, Ferraris, etc... The only bad thing is that he is super busy. I am waiting for him to tell me when he can take my E-Type for a rear brake job.
The shop # 386-304-0380.
Good luck.
Bill.

Old 04-14-2021, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Daytona
Hi PeterMN,
There used to be a place near you that was well known for doing Jags. Maybe someone in this forum will remember their name and suggested to you. Failing that I can recommend Aerodynamis in the Daytona Beach area. The owner is Lou Verdiales who used to service airplanes, hence the shop name, but decided that there were less headaches servicing cars. He does mostly Porsches, and is very well known throughout Florida for his work, but he also does Jags, Ferraris, etc... The only bad thing is that he is super busy. I am waiting for him to tell me when he can take my E-Type for a rear brake job.
The shop # 386-304-0380.
Good luck.
Bill.
Bill - thank! I'll check out your recommendation.

And yes, there is a terrific mechanic in Sarasota: Steve Smith/Twin Cam. I highly recommend him. But he says he doesn't have the tools for differential repair nor space/lift for car for the duration of the project. Peter

Old 04-14-2021, 07:30 PM

Good luck Peter.
This is a time of year that is perfect to drive an OTS. It is frustrating to not be able to drive it because of brakes or differential problems.
Bill.

Old 04-14-2021, 09:59 PM

Bill - agree! And fortunately my car is driveable. The differential simply wails - I know its crying for attention.

My '69 is original, unrestored. The original lacquer from firewall back (bonnet respray), original seats, carpet/interior. Motor out 2 yrs ago for new synchros and clutch, rebuilt head and new exhaust manifolds. All to original spec.

Peter

The following users liked this post:
Mark Anthony (03-02-2022)
Old 04-14-2021, 10:01 PM

Bill - interested in learning more about your E-Type. Peter

Old 04-15-2021, 06:57 AM

Peter, that is a beautiful car. Good to hear that it is drivable, if a bit noisy. Drive it and enjoy it. The E-Type looks great in willow green. I can't tell from the photos, is the interior black or dark green?
I am a fortunate guy. I have two E-Types. One is a 1968 FHC in primrose yellow with black interior. My wife and I have owned this car for 40 years. She drove it when going to college and nursing school. It was all original until two years ago when I embarked on a full restoration which is still in progress.
The second is a late 1967 open headlight OTS in Carmen red with black interior. I acquired this one recently. It is a fully restored car that belonged to a family member. I have known the car since he bought it in 1978. This is the car that needs the rear brakes done. The car has been virtually unused since the restoration was completed about seven years ago. I don't think he put 500 miles on it. The car came out so nice he didn't want to drive it. If you don't drive these things, they deteriorate. A shame.
I don't have any photos in this computer, but I'll upload some photos later today.
Bill.

Old 04-15-2021, 07:09 AM

Bill - sounds like you have two wonderful cars. Sad that between the two neither is presently driveable. Fully restored the E-Type is a beautiful car. But I agree, they are meant to be driven - and too frequently a fully restored vehicle makes an owner reluctant to drive it.

Mine has an original suede green interior. I found an uphosterer willing to blend a dye to match the 50 yr old sun-bleached leather and the seats look new - well newer 😉

Good luck getting your cars completed.

Peter

Old 04-15-2021, 07:23 AM

Funny, or ironic maybe, two great E-Types in the garage and I can't drive either of them. I have a photo od the FHC under restoration, with no engine in it, but there was still an oil leak under it. The oil was from the oil line to the oil pressure gauge. I just thought it was funny that even an E-Type without an engine leaked oil.
Bill.

Old 04-16-2021, 11:38 AM

Hi Peter,
Here are a few photos of the two E-Types. As you can see, the yellow coupe is in full restoration mode. The red OTS is done, but needs brakes that I hope to get taken care of soon so I can drive it.
Bill.

Old 04-16-2021, 01:09 PM

Bill

Two beautiful E-Types! Kudos for undertaking such ambitious restoration projects. Are you doing the work on the coupe yourself? If not, who is doing the restoration work. I am looking for a quality painter in Florida.

Peter

Old 05-02-2021, 06:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the Fort Myers area

https://huntautomotive.com/

In the Daytona area

Bob Sellers Auto Clinic

I haven't used Hunt Automotive, but I have had Bob Sellers work on my '70 2+2.
I will be a repeat customer of Bob's for anything I cannot do myself.

Hope this helps. Good luck

Old 05-02-2021, 07:25 PM

Hi CarloM,
Where in Florida are you. Interesting you should mention Bob Sellers (I did not realize he was still around) I thought he had moved away. He did the clutch in my yellow FHC about 30 years ago.
Stay safe.
Bill.

Old 05-02-2021, 07:34 PM

Hi PeterMN,
Sorry, didn't mean to ignore you, I just didn't see your last post with questions about the work being done on the FHC.
The bodywork and paint was done by a local body shop (The Bodywerks). The engine rebuild was done by Gary Hogopian on the west cost of Florida. The gearbox ia a new 5 Speed. I did 95% of the disassembly work, and am doing all of the assembly with the exception of the interior.
It is moving slowly, but there is progress.
Bill.

Old 05-02-2021, 07:51 PM

CarloM,
Do you own a P1800?
3rd degree/

Old 05-03-2021, 01:59 PM

@Daytona
Bill,
Yes, Bob Sellers is still in business. He told me he's thinking about retiring, but he also told me he's been saying that for a while.
Carlo

Old 05-06-2021, 03:21 PM

Peter MN,

Hello,
I am kitty lover on this forum.
My husband is a master E-type mechanic of 40 years! He can help you, I am sure.
We are located in St. Petersburg. Please call him at our home #: 727.498.6493.

Old 02-26-2022, 04:35 PM

Hi Peter,
Just wondering if you are still in need of an expert Jaguar mechanic? We are located in St. Petersburg.
My husband, a 40+ yr. Jaguar expert works in Sarasota at a vintage sportscar business.

Last edited by GGG; 02-27-2022 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Remove eMail address