E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Removing rear Series II bumper--how hard?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 06:21 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Removing rear Series II bumper--how hard?

Hey, all--

My rear bumper on my Series II really needs a good re-chrome. That means removal.

I know the front bumper is an easy removal job....but how about the rear on a Series II, that goes all the way across the back? What's involved?

Pulling the spare out, it looks like the gas tank is in the way of the inside bolts for the bumper....can anyone recommend a good tutorial on rear bumper removal of a Series II?

Thanks much for your help!

1969 Series II FCH Signal Red
1997 XJ6 VDP Arctic Blue
1969 MG Midget Primrose Yellow

Old 08-29-2017, 09:20 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

You can get it off without the tank unless someone played around.
Painters tape around the whole area on the outside.
loosen all the bolts.
The center section is separate.
The key is all the series 2 cars were hand molded from an initial series one.
Tons of filler and lead loading.
Once you rechrome you might have to massage the openings .
It will be off.
Slowly tighten when you reapply.
Its not that bad, just a two person job to lessen the scratches.
Good luck
gtjoey1314

The following users liked this post:
sayhitobaldy (08-29-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 07:50 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks, gtjoey!

Old 08-29-2017, 08:22 PM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I asked the boss!😀

Old 09-03-2017, 07:53 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

No need to remove the fuel tank at all. It's a fairly straight forward job and I did it on my own but it would be easier with a helper. The bumper comes off in one piece and goes back on in one piece. Like you I removed mine to have it rechromed. Note of any spacers when you remove it.

Before you put it back on reassemble the entire bumper with over-riders on a large table and then put on a new bumper seal with sealant. The ends are really hard and need to be held in place while the sealant dries. Put on the reversing lights. Leave all the bolts hand tight and then install the entire 3 piece bumper on the car. Install the mounting bolts and install spacers as required between the car body and the bumper. Tighten each mounting bolt slowly and each one in turn. Also slowly tighten the bolts that connect the 3 sections of bumper together. It will take a lot of massaging to get it to fit nicely with even gaps and a good tight seal, but you can do it.

It took me 6 hours to reinstall it on my car on my own. Work slowly and carefully.

Andy 69 Coupe

Old 04-19-2024, 11:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by andypreston
No need to remove the fuel tank at all. It's a fairly straight forward job and I did it on my own but it would be easier with a helper. The bumper comes off in one piece and goes back on in one piece. Like you I removed mine to have it rechromed. Note of any spacers when you remove it.

Before you put it back on reassemble the entire bumper with over-riders on a large table and then put on a new bumper seal with sealant. The ends are really hard and need to be held in place while the sealant dries. Put on the reversing lights. Leave all the bolts hand tight and then install the entire 3 piece bumper on the car. Install the mounting bolts and install spacers as required between the car body and the bumper. Tighten each mounting bolt slowly and each one in turn. Also slowly tighten the bolts that connect the 3 sections of bumper together. It will take a lot of massaging to get it to fit nicely with even gaps and a good tight seal, but you can do it.

It took me 6 hours to reinstall it on my car on my own. Work slowly and carefully.

Andy 69 Coupe
Did you remove the side bots to take it off in one piece. How did you do that?