E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Wheel play

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 10:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel play

Hi everybody. I recently acquired an E type S1 convertible. There is a lot of play in the front suspension and especially in the steering rack, the anti roll bar and the upper joint *****. Furthermore, there is a slight play between the spike wheels and the hubs. Is this play "normal" or could it be a problem with the wheels ?

Old 07-12-2017, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

You have the wire wheels which fit on splined hubs. The splines can wear on either wheel or hub, but your wheels look pretty new, so suspicion must centre on the hubs.

From what you also say. it sounds like you need a suspension rebuild ! The rack mounts may be designed to have some compliance side-to-side, the XJ saloon has, but I don't know about E-types which predated the XJ saloons.

Old 07-13-2017, 12:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have fixed the spare wheel on the 4 hubs alternatively. It is obviously original as opposed to the 4 others. It seems OK, no play. And the hubs splines are not worn out. Therefore, I suspect that the new wheels are of poor quality (Indian origine ?). We ll have all of them measured to be sure.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Do you know the supplier of the wheels. I say this because Motor Wheel Services, a well-respected supplier of wire wheels has a lot of their stuff made in India.

MWS