E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Wiring problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 09:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring problem

I have an early '65 4.2LH coupe (30136). I am attempting to repair the alternator wiring harness. The wire colors on this harness are faded and cloth wrapped. At some point a non-oem alternator was installed also. I have, however traced all the wires to the alternator using the factory diagram and sorted out that the alternator is wired correctly.
My problem is that on the alternator regulator (below the battery terminal connection on LH side of car) there are two wires (with a molded, insulated connector joining them) going to the "F" terminal instead of the schematic designated single wire.
This other wire is also cloth wrapped and extremely faded so I can't make out any color coding. It follows the harness into the area of the instrument panel. I have five different books with schematics for the car, including the workshop manual and none of them show a second wire to the "F" terminal on the alternator regulator. I am almost positive the harness on the car is the original one.
Does anyone know what or where this second wire might go?
Thanks in advance for any help with my inquiry.

Old 09-03-2017, 11:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I worked on the wiring issue today and think I have gotten my problem figured out. A previous owner had gotten creative with the wiring to the alt. relay.