E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

An XKE Electrical Conversion Done Right Costs $151K

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 10:18 AM
Received 679 Likes on 489 Posts

Welcome, I cover automotive as part of my job but have been a car fan since I worked as a Jaguar Mechanic in the '70s part-time (while I was in College). Given the emergence of clean fuel, I wonder if the EV switch wasn't premature because clean fuel could use the existing eco-system and not require it to be swapped out for electricity. I guess this is an example that it takes governments time to move and that, when they do, they don't change directions easily. Also, I think it is because the Petro-Chemical industry spent so much time and money covering up the ecological problems rather than working to actually eliminate them they are now out of step and facing failure. If we'd had green gas a decade ago and instead of fighting change they drove it I think the industry would be in far better shape. It didn't and electrics are now our future. That can change though. What I still think is fascinating is that at the beginning electric cars were favored because they were quiet, easier to use, and far more reliable than steam or gas, energy storage was the problem them as it is now. Car History - Evolution of the Automobile (idrivesafely.com) 100 years later and we've kind of made a full circle.

Old 03-12-2021, 10:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did a little digging and found a short editorial reply in a magazine subscription I have.

EV Efficiency (Source: Panamara Porsche Magazine December 2018) compares gasoline engines at 25% to 50% efficient (say 38% average), to EV at 77% to 82% (say 79% average). This is all well and good until you look beyond the plug. While gasoline engines consume fossil fuel directly, much of the energy used to change EV's batteries comes from fossil-fuel power plants.

A newer gas turbine combined-cycle power plant is about 50% thermally efficient. Overall, that number can be higher with renewables and nuclear power, or it an be lower if you're looking at less efficient coal-fired plants. If you factor in transformer losses, you have roughly 40% coming to the plug. Multiply that by the 79% on the EV side of the plug and you get about 32% over-all efficiency. Conclusion: EV do not look that great on an overall energy consumption basis currently.

Old 03-12-2021, 11:58 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

You hit on a key point - what's the source of the power. If your state generates most of its power from coal fired plants then EVs offer no environmental advantage over ICE powered cars. Other states that have a high percent of renewable generation do give EVs a decided edge. As we're moving more and more toward renewable generation EVs will generally widen their environmental advantage over time.

As to drivability both cars have their place. We've owned two Bolts, a Mercedes B250e, and now a Tesla Y (all are full EV) and I have to say that as everyday drivers in my opinion they are much better than ICE cars. Quiet, smooth, instant torque so fun between stop signs, and more than enough range for anything other than a major trip. That said, I'll never give up my Series 3 E. The sounds, the smells and the looks will never be replaced by an EV. Much as people still own and enjoy riding horses, gas powered cars will never go away. It will take decades to happen but eventually they'll just get to be more of a hobby/special occasion item that we'll all still enjoy driving on sunny days, not that different than our E-Types are to most of us today.

The following users liked this post:
911997cs2 (03-15-2021)
Old 03-12-2021, 12:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Regardless of the price, that's a no for me. And if the state puts the ban on ICE, I will still be driving my petrol E, blasting Red Barchetta the whole time.

911997cs2 (03-15-2021)
Old 03-12-2021, 03:44 PM
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I think clean fuels (clean burning synthetic fuel) will give EVs a good run for their money. Other than the fact that they may be cleaner and more efficient than electricity, in the long term, it is the only game in town for the big chemical companies. And government and money being what they are, there is going to be a lot of money going into promoting clean burning synthetic fuels. In fact the promoting has already started. Consider that F1 is looking at clean synthetic fuels for the next major engine rule change. Manufacturers like Porsche are paying attention to the decision from F1 regarding synthetic fuels. Imagine how quickly it could develop and prove out the cleanliness and efficiency of the fuel in a platform such as F1. Plus, consider that just inthe US there are nearly 300M ICE vehicles. How much money could be made in retrofitting all these vehicles to Synthetic fuel. As much money as that is, it is a lot less that building the infrastructure for EVs, and changing all 300M vehicles for EVs. We have not heard the last from ICE.
Bill.

911997cs2 (03-15-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 03:32 PM

I really enjoy following F1 and how the rules progressively change from year to year. But, the issue with Synthetic fuels could literally be a game changer for the automotive industry. Add the fact that these Synthetic fuels are made via renewable energies and carbon is added to product a liquid fuel could literally revitalize existing petroleum plants into a more environmentally favorable business model. I do not own an EV, but do see the advantage for local city use. But, I do still drive my ICE on weekends solely for the overall joy and experience which an EV can not provide. In advance, really appreciate all the feedback.

Old 03-15-2021, 07:04 PM

Hi 911997cs2, I like your handle, does it stand for 997 Carrera 2?
Like you, I like the idea of Synthetic fuels, and the possibility that F1 may adopt it as a fuel for the series is very interesting. They have the capability for fast development and showcase its capabilities in a world stage. I am sure that if F1 is successful, Lemans would not be far behind, and that would really showcase the power of Synthetic fuels.
As a fan of ICE cars, I will cheer and celebrate the advent of mass produced synthetic fuels. I wonder how much adjusting/modifying I would need to do to get E-Type to run on it, or some of the other toys. Could be interesting.
Bill.

Old 03-15-2021, 07:54 PM

Daytona - you know our Porsches: 2008 997 Carrera S rear drive (911997cs2)
My first Porsche after getting all three kids through college and still own it.

That's a pretty good question as to what modifications would be required the have our E-type run on Synthetic fuel. I have seen a couple of individuals modify an LS1 Corvette engines to run on hydrogen. Pretty cool, but resources and processes still have a way to go. Ironically, I find it the most appealing solution for obvious reason.

Interesting article on F1 and Synthetic fuels: Formula 1 has developed 100% sustainable fuel

In the meantime, I am content working on my 67 E-type. My wife tells me to hurry so she can drive it, but I like the slow pace of doing the research and doing it right.
I have not told her that it runs - LOL It's my therapy.

enderle (03-16-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 08:24 PM

911997cs2, You got me. I have been into Porsches for some time. My first one was a 1967 911S I bought in 1977, and I still enjoy them.
I read an editorial some time ago that suggested that actually there would be little modification required to be able to run synthetic fuel. Man I hope that is true. I want to be able to continue driving my ICE E-type for a long time.
Bill.

Old 03-16-2021, 10:17 AM

Good morning Daytona. 1967 911S - I have always lusted to own one. Way out of my reach these days.
Here are two interesting article about synthetic fuel development and Porsche as part of the collaboration team:

Audi, Bosch, and McLaren

Porsche and Siemens Energy, with partners, advance climate-neutral eFuels development

General question for the forum: My E-type has three SU's and they need lots of attention. Should this always be the case and has anyone ventured into integrating a modern day fuel injection system?

In advance, thank you for your advice.

Old 03-16-2021, 10:38 AM

Yahhhh, I wouldn't mind having that Bahama yellow 67 911S back in the garage either. But, I do have other toys to keep me out of trouble and entertained, so I can't complain.
Regarding the comment about installing a fuel injection system on an E-Type, I have considered the same thing, and you and I are not the only ones. There is a company in England I think, that does have a fuel injection system for the E-Type (not cheap as I recall). I think if you do a search in this forum it may come up I'll look for it too and post it here if I find it. I also thought that an XJ6 fuel injected head and fuel injection system should work, but frankly, I have way to many projects on my plate to even attempt the adaptation.
Thanks for the links to the synthetic fuel editorials. I'll read them when I get home tonight.
Stay safe.
Bill.

Old 03-16-2021, 12:08 PM

Interesting that I also thought of the XJ6 fuel injected head as a suitable donner for the 4.2.

Here are two companies in the UK providing a complete fuel injection kit for 1750 pounds ($$$) :
1 - Classic Fuel Injection Conversion, Jaguar E Type 4.2L, Premium Kit
2- https://etypeuk.com/

Images are from vendor number 2 and I'd have to contact them for pricing. Quit a nice setup in my humble opinion. In photo one I do notice that the intake manifold has been modified for the new linkages.

enderle (03-17-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 01:23 PM

Mam that is a sexy looking FI system. Both photos seem to have different intake manifolds, but in any case, both intakes look to be custom pieces. They don't look like the stock unit.
With regards to the XJ6 injection system, to me it has always seemed as it would be a natural fit, but I could be totally wrong.
But for under U$2,500 does not seem like a bad deal if it is a complete system.
I'm going to have to look these up. The engine for my 68 is already done, but I have an extra engine that I have been saving for a project. This set up would make for a nice hot rod E-Type.
Bill.

Old 03-16-2021, 01:40 PM

Bill, it will at least bring the cat to a modern/reliable level. Something I feel we all want. I like you have lots of project in my man cave and for the moment I am replacing the few pump on the E-type and finishing up the plumbing for the aluminum radiator.

Check out these two vidoes - E-type FI upgrade:
Juan

Old 03-16-2021, 02:15 PM

Interesting videos, thanks for posting. As I was watching the videos it occurred to me that we may have highjacked this thread.
It started out talking about converting an E-Type to electric, and we are here talking about fuel injection systems for the E.
Exactly 180* in the opposite direction.
My apologies to the OP.
Bill.

Old 03-16-2021, 03:24 PM

I totally agree and apologies for high-jacking the thread. I will start a more appropriate one with a consistent subject matter.

Old 03-17-2021, 11:01 AM
Received 679 Likes on 489 Posts

No worries the Fuel Injection sidetrack was interesting.