E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Yes, I am an IDIOT

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2021, 07:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Yes, I am an IDIOT

While checking the wiring and fuses to my 72 E type, I came across an inline fuse (half size) attached to a black wire. Before I could yell $##%, the fuse dropped and has vanished. I never got a chance to see what the fuse was rated. Can't find the info after a long internet search. Anybody have a clue?

On another, but more important note, car won't start. I determined it was not getting fuel. Took fuel pump apart and cleaned some nasty points, everything else looked fine. SHOULD HAVE FIRST checked power to the fuel pump, because there is none. From a wiring diagram that I have it appears that the fuel pump has no relays or fuses and relies on the ignition switch for power. I want to ohm out the wires, but how do you do that when they are so far apart? Could the ignition switch be the culprit?

Thanks for any suggestions. I need to stop working on the car after a long work day -

Old 07-22-2021, 07:58 PM
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Hi jpm3,
I don't know the rating for the fuse you mentioned, but if I were you I'd keep looking for that Fues. You don't want a fuse rolling around the center dash panel with all those wires and connectors just waiting to be shorted.Use a good flash light, and start looking first around the area where you last saw it and then expand the search area.
With regards to checking the continuity on the wires to the fuel pump, yes. The two ends are far apart. You may need longer probe wires, and also at least one alligator clip. Connect the clip to one endow the wire and the other end you hold the probe. It is a tedious job but that is the only way I know to do it without a buddy helping me.
Good luck.
Bill.

Old 07-22-2021, 08:45 PM
Received 268 Likes on 173 Posts

I feel your pain in dropping the fuse.. if you can get the car in daylight, that will make a huge difference, unless you have a spectacularly well illuminated shop.

Old 07-23-2021, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Daytona
Hi jpm3,
I don't know the rating for the fuse you mentioned, but if I were you I'd keep looking for that Fues. You don't want a fuse rolling around the center dash panel with all those wires and connectors just waiting to be shorted.Use a good flash light, and start looking first around the area where you last saw it and then expand the search area.
With regards to checking the continuity on the wires to the fuel pump, yes. The two ends are far apart. You may need longer probe wires, and also at least one alligator clip. Connect the clip to one endow the wire and the other end you hold the probe. It is a tedious job but that is the only way I know to do it without a buddy helping me.
Good luck.
Bill.
Thanks Bill. I've looked and felt as best as I can. My car has AC and that fuse has rolled somewhere inaccessible. I'll try your suggestion regarding the continuity test. Thanks again.

Old 07-23-2021, 04:10 AM

Thanks Valerie, my car has AC and the fuse has rolled somewhere towards the firewall. When I get the fuel pump power situation sorted, I'll be able to move it outdoors. Until then . . .

Old 07-23-2021, 09:26 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Try this. Turn on the ignition and check that things like the heater fan, windscreen wiper and voltmeter work. That shows the switch is OK. I believe you said that the fuel pump did not receive power like this. You are correct that the fuel pump is not fused and neither are the brake fluid warning light and ignition warning light, With the hand brake set, both bulbs should be lit. I suspect someone added an in line fuse for the fuel pump and perhaps the lamps and that might be a good idea. At this stage, I would use a 20A fuse and see that the pump now operates. It's possible that a larger fuse is needed but I doubt it.

If you are not comfortable applying power without more checking try this. With the ignition off lift the power lead from the pump. Check that the fuse lead does not connect to ground using an ohmmeter. Ground the hanging lead at the pump and see that the fuse lead is now grounded. That indicates your mystery fuse is for the pump. Put it all back together. Good luck. Bill