Exterior Talk about your rims, bodykits, and other exterior mods here.

aoxidation

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 07:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy aoxidation

hey im new to this forum im bought my first jag about 8 months ago and i love it. The problem that im having is that on the rear bumper (driver side)
my paint is starting to aoxidise it started as a real small section now its grown...what can i do to stop it.... any advise is helpfull thanks

Old 08-30-2009, 11:52 PM
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

bump I have a similar problem on my hood, i was considering getting a detail for about 300$ but i dont know if that would correct the problem

Old 08-31-2009, 06:24 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

04 X-Type, try finding some stuff called "3M Perfect-It II". It is made by 3M and is a liquid polishing compound. You apply it like you would a wax, but the rubbing will clear up a lot of the discoloration that you are seeing. After the 3M application, make sure to put a coat of wax on the spot that was polished.

The only thing that I will caution you on is to not use a power buffer where there is a hard edge (ie, the area running from the trunk to the side of the car). If you keep the buffer in the same spot for too long (ie 15+ seconds), it is possible to wear through the paint and expose the primer/metal. Keep things moving and you won't have an issue.

If you need more info, let me know. The 3M products will more than likely need to be picked up at a place that sells automotive paint by the gallon, not at your local auto parts store. I also seem to recall the product got a name change to Perfect-It III. So, either product will work.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

polishing will not fix this problem you need to have it painted