F-Pace (X761) / C-X17 2016 - Onwards

2017 F pace diesel or gas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 01:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 F pace diesel or gas?

Hi everyone, I'm looking to purchase and I'm not really sure what the payoff is in regards to more horsepower with a gas engine or less horsepower in a diesel engine but better gas mileage. Any experience or information would be great thanks.

Second question, when do you people think the 2017's will reduce in price since the 18s are coming out? And how much do you foresee them dropping?

Old 06-01-2017, 08:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends on your driving​ style, if you drive hard get the gas V6, if you drive easy get the diesel for fuel economy.

Old 06-03-2017, 06:25 AM
Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts

You may may want to consider that you can have problems with diesel particulate filters plugging up if your driving is only short trips.

Old 06-04-2017, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

the 1st-year depreciation will most likely not be as great as the other JLR model because the F-Pace is the "best-selling Jaguar ever". I'm guessing $8-10k

Old 06-05-2017, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

I'll chip in because we have more experience with diesels here.

RooneyQ is right. If you dont run your car for hour long plus trips diesels can be a problem. The particulate filter traps crap which when it is full waits for the engine to be nice and warm then burns off, usually on an extended drive. If your car doesnt run for long enough it creates a poblem which requires your service guys to fix (my understanding of the fix is that they run the car for a few hours to do what an extended drive would have). So plenty of people have bought diesels for a town runabout and have then had problems.

That said the 3.0TTD is a beautiful engine (for a diesel). It is very quick, and has virtually no diesel clatter. Under the boot it has a strong surge and a whoosh sound. It is also pretty frugal.

The 4 pot diesels sound dreadful, though they pull OK.

If I had to pick, I'd take the petrol 6. I have that engine in my F Type, it is sweet. I'd only go for a diesel if I was travelling more than 25,000kms a year, and even then I'd be thinking carefully.

The following users liked this post:
Lcgi (06-18-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 11:38 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

our 2.0d 2017 is amazing... 44 mpg Imp or 37 mpg US combined in a long trip to the coast and back in the winter. bonus is the oil burner costs $5k less Canadian. I guess it's relative but a dreadful sound to me is my bank account draining... once we're above 30 kph it fades to nothing.

have you heard the 4 cyl gasser Rover? that friends sounds dreadful...

we've had no issues since new in early 2017. have something like 16k km now. goes great - better than our old Infiniti with the 3.5 gasser. geared right for the 4 cyl.

I drive the Ducati or the Mustang GT if I want performance and loudness. SUV driving isn't something we do for impressing folks light to light.

Old 06-11-2017, 12:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F Pace 2.0 Diesel

This is my first experience with a diesel engine and I am very impressed
With the F Pace- just love the car-- was a 17 year lexus customer and needed
A change. Have had the car for 6 months and have 22k on it (approx 13000 miles). No problems at all with how the car performs. We have a winter home in Phoenix Az and drove from Montreal to Phoenix and back. Gas mileage was great
At around 35-45 Mpg ( Imperial) at speeds of 70-85 mph with a full load front to back of about 600 lbs or more. As far as power goes the torque more than makes up for what seems to be low horsepower. Passing other cars already doing 70-75 mph is very quick and you are at 90-95 before you even realize it.
Took a trip form Phoenix to Sedona which goes from the desert to about 7000 ft elevation and all uphill--the car was still very quiet and never struggled even a bit getting up some pretty steep mountain hills.
Diesel in Canada is about 8-10 cents a litre less than regular gas so that was a no brainer forngas savings over Premium Gas. Saves at least $12 oer tank.
Even when we are in the USA the Diesiel gas is about 20 cents per gallon more but still less than Premium you are still ahead. Oil changess are at 26000 miles
Or 34000 kilometres somyou have less maintenance there as well.
I have a friens who has a Toyota Highlander Hybrid and I am killing him on gas mileage---diesel is the the future I believe not Hybrids.
Diesel,gas is avialble in 90% og gas stations so you dont have to look far.
You do here the Diesel a bit when you first start upmthe car but after a few minutes of warming up- it quiets down-- you wont even here in when you are in the car----overall Im very impressed with the car